How much do you work out?

Options
2»

Replies

• missconceitedme
    Options
    I wish all I had to do is 30 day shred to lose weight. It's only 20 minutes. I have a Thyroid problem and so I need to work out 6 days a week for 45-60 minutes a day. The only workouts that I have found that push me hard and are that long is P90X and Turbo Fire. I am sure there are more out there but these have been working for me. I have also heard great things about insanity but I wanted to get through P90 and Turbo Fire first before I will be brave enough to try that one. :)

I don't actually think it's the 30DS that has helped me lose what I have so far.. I'm actually only on level 1 day 4 right now (I started over because I was doing other things and wanted everything to be consistant).. I don't have any Thyroid problems that I know of.. Dr. did tests a few weeks back & never said anything about it, so I'm guessing that that's not a problem for me.. I'm pretty sure the reason I dropped the weight I did was because when I first started (a little over 2 weeks ago) I had this idea that 800 calories was a good starting point (which I learned was really not good at all), so for a whole week 800 cals a day was all I had.. Then I moved up to between 1200- 1500 cals a day.. I haven't tried the programs you're doing, but I have tried the Turbo Jam & I liked it (although I though some of it was just too slow and didn't even break a sweat).. MFP has me at a little over 1400 cals a day (joined 2 days ago), so I have been pretty much been following that for over a week even before I started here.. I have heard good things about Insanity too, But just thinking about it makes me shiver :-) I am soooooo out of shape that I doubt I could even get through one session lol..
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    4-5 days a week at the gym for 1hr-1.75 hr.
    Then easy yoga on Sundays for one hr.
    also sometimes at night go for 45min walks with my mom.
    Averaging around: 5.75hrs - 11.25hrs a week
  • missconceitedme
    Options
    I am currently doing 5 days a week of two a days, one day a week one workout and rest one day.
    My two a days are curcuit training/bootcamp, step aerobics or taebo in the morning. Then the second workout is either the treadmill on an incline or swimming.

The day that I do one workout depends on how my body feels. It is either a walk or circuit training.

We do have a Y membership but I also rent DVD's from the library or from netflix. I get bored easy so I need to change the workouts.

Make sure you start out slow. Don't jump into it or you are more prone to injuries and burn out. Also find something you enjoy. I love circuit training. My friends were trying to get me to go to zumba but I really didn't enjoy it and felt clumsy.

I actually just found out today that Netflix has workouts, and I found some that are supposed to help with strength and flexability (which I have none of lol), so I might try those out to see if they help me.. I deff feel you on getting bored easily, as I am the same way.. My first week of working out for me was pure torture lol.. I was constantly stopping (which is no good, because I know I can't be burning enough with the big breaks in between), but yesterday when I did my 30DS I was able to push through with only a couple water breaks (maybe a minute a piece).. I'd love to get a Y membership, but right now it's way out of my budget :-( I LOVE swimming, so a Y membership is something I hope for in the future.. It would be sooo nice to be able to get a good workout in then go for a refreshing dip :-)
  • niknokd
    niknokd Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Well just keep in mind that the calorie deficit is what will make you shed pounds. Whatever your net calorie goal is on MFP, that's what you should have and if all goes as planned you will lose weight on schedule. So as long as you're at that net calorie goal, working out more isn't really necessary. When you get to your goal weight and your focus shifts to toning, then you might need to work out a little more to really see your muscles changing. Good luck! :)
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Banish Fat Boost Metabolism--it's 45 minutes of almost all cardio. Personally I started w/ 90 minutes of cardio 5-6x/week before I began incorporating strength training. Personally though, I love my $10 gym membership--gives me so many more options! I hope you find a good routine!
  • missconceitedme
    Options
    When I started my weight loss journey I had no gym membership and no babysitter to watch the kids so I could get out of the house! I lost a good 40lbs counting calories and working out 6 days a week in my living room!! I did body weight exercises, bought some resistance bands, hand weights, and a stability ball...I think I actually started with the Self Magazine Challenge (now I'm a Oxygen Mag girl)...for cardio I would run in place, do jumping jacks, or even imaginary jump rope.

Now I run 4 times a week, cross train 2 times a week (bike or eliptical), yoga for 20 min everyday and strength train 4 times a week...I spend a good hour and a half a day working out and still count calories!

Best of luck to you! :)

I'm in the same boat you were when beginning.. I have two kids and no babysitter, so when i'm working out, I have to stop to tend to their needs as well.. I have some equiptment that I bought just to get me started.. I got resistance bands, push-up bars, and 2 pound hand weights.. I can't wait to actually be able to workout without having to stop because of being so out of shape..