Weight and Work

Options
I used to be a teacher, so I was constantly moving around with very little time to eat. Now I have a desk job that I love, but I am upset that I spend so much time sitting down! To make it worse, people keep candy at their desks and it seems like we're all just constantly eating.

One thing I've realized is that when I'm cold (our office is always freezing) I'll eat more. If I turn on the little space heater behind my desk, I can easily go an extra hour or so without eating.

Anyone else have trouble keeping their diet in check while at work?

Replies

• ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    i actually find it easier since i plan all my food for the day at work. i keep nuts on my desk AT ALL TIMES! lol my boss keeps candy on his =( but the nuts help me go for the good and resist the bad.
  • caramellattekiss
    caramellattekiss Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. I work behind a desk too, and definitely notice a difference since having this job. It makes me boredom eat too.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    desk job myself, and our office is located within a large dept store/grocery - we're next to the deli and Starbucks... sucks when they make the fried chicken every day....and I can smell it....and want to eat it, but I don't. I still have issues with getting a box of snacks or something, sometimes the box is gone unless things are individually wrapped and I only have 1. Last time I just got trail mix, and did okay with that, but it's pretty calorie laden, but better than candy, cookies, etc.
  • Sapphiredroplet
    Sapphiredroplet Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I work in a Veterinary hospital and my boss gets chocolate for all of us which is the reason I gained my 10lbs of the first 20lbs I lost back but, now I'm on MFP and have been able to resist the temptation and eat healthy plus I started eating breakfast.(I didn't use to) I don't feel hungry so I don't go for the crap it's easier to resist.
  • haeffel2
    haeffel2 Posts: 34
    Options
    I have a desk job too so I try to walk around the office (making up reasons like: Oh i have to check this guy's mailbox? haha) and I keep water on my desk at all times (ice water!). I started eating smaller meals throughout the day which keeps me from snacking on unhealthy foods. I eat breakfast before work, a mid-morning snack, lunch, and an afternoon snack all before I get off work. Then I'm satisfied and I know that I can resist the office goodies:] I know that method doesn't work for everyone, especially since it requires more perp in the mornings, but it's really helped me feel less guilty when I'm stuck at this desk for 8 hours. :]
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I went from a very active job to a desk job and that change alone put 10lbs on me! Now I make a point of getting my exercise in before work, walking around during my breaks/lunch, standing up and stretching often throughout the day, taking the stairs in stead of the elevator, etc. As to the munchies and all the sweets & food other coworkers put out those are horrible hazzards. I tend to drink LOTS of strong smelling herbal teas. Those are 0 calories, help me to get in more water, keep me warm (our office is freezing too!) and keep me from putting the not so good foods in my mouth.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I have to say my desk job is probably WAY better for me than some of my previous jobs- managing bakeries! I managed a bakery and also was a supervisor at a Mrs. Fields' Cookies. I NEVER got tired of that stuff- there was always something new and different to try at the other bakery (it had a deli too).