He's finally going to do it!

Options
CdnPgnMom
CdnPgnMom Posts: 172 Member
I convinced my husband to let me sign him up for MFP and help him lose some weight so that he can be healthier. I set up his profile and it says he needs to eat 2,580 calories a day. I'm looking for some healthy ideas to help him reach his calorie goals and feel full at the same time (he is worried about being hungry all the time).

Stats:

6'2"
360lbs
Trying to reach 200lbs, to start. Will likely update goals once he reaches the first one.
He doesn't have any allergies nor is there much he doesn't like aside from onions.

I should add that he works at Hooters and will be eating there, as well. I have to figure out what he can eat from the menu that will fill him up and fuel him without being super unhealthy.

Any/all help is appreciated!!!

Replies

• CdnPgnMom
    Options
    Bumping for responses...
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    He can eat a really good amount of fish for a relatively low amount of calories. Cod. tilapia, salmon (I like it smoked). Chicken is really filling as well + eating plenty of vegetables!

Try a few different variations to find something that he can snack on comfortably and not feel like it's an obligation. Grape tomatoes, carrots/celery/sugar snap peas dipped in hummus or tzatziki, low fat cheese sticks, etc. I really like chopping up celery and putting it in a can of tuna and then using lettuce as a 'wrap'. It's all about finding things that he likes so he won't feel so hungry! Good luck!
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    And if he does feel hungry and is wanting a quick fix with junk, just remind him that 300 calories of vegetables will fill him up WAY more than 300 calories of any kind of junk he's craving. He will feel fuller much longer!
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Oven roasted turkey, Salads with lotsa veggies, just watch the dressings, croutons etc as they add calories fast.
    Fresh fruit is high in fiber, which will fill him up.

Beans, rice, bran, etc.

small frequent meals versus larger ones will keep appetite at bay....
    If you bite it, write it.

I always check calorie count of food before I eat it, so I can make an intellectual decision about it..
    If you wait until end of day to log everything- you will not have your limits in place.

Also measure everything.. we underestimate portion size as plates have gotten larger over the years..
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    2500 cals/day? Really? Sounds like about 500 too much if he wants to lose fat in any meaningful amount of time. Yeah, I know working in a restaurant isn't "sedentary" but it isn't physically challenging all day long, either. There may be bursts ...

To eat: fish without batter, chicken/turkey burgers without mayo and the bun, salads, steamed veggies ... just none of the white/processed foods or sauces/glazes. No sodas!
  • CdnPgnMom
    Options
    2500 cals/day? Really? Sounds like about 500 too much if he wants to lose fat in any meaningful amount of time. Yeah, I know working in a restaurant isn't "sedentary" but it isn't physically challenging all day long, either. There may be bursts ...

To eat: fish without batter, chicken/turkey burgers without mayo and the bun, salads, steamed veggies ... just none of the white/processed foods or sauces/glazes. No sodas!

I listed him as one level up from sedentary. He is a manager and spends a great deal of time on his feet mingling with customers and looking after the girls. Do you think I should just put him as sedentary? Also, I thought the 2500 was high, too. MFP gave him a deficit of 500.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    At 360, he can probably easily do with a deficit of 1000 calories a day without missing too much food. If he keeps only a 500 calorie deficit, then it will take him over 3 years to reach his goal (1 lb per week).

I would put him at a 1000 calorie deficit (2 lbs per week) until he reaches 260 or so, then maybe re-evaluate at that time to a lower defecit (500-750 for 1-1.5 lbs per week). By the time he reaches this point, he may not feel like he needs more anyway.

And don't forget to re-check his calorie needs every 20 lbs or so... as he loses weight, he won't need as much.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I agree, at 360lbs you can lose 2lbs a week while barely trying. I'd probably stick with 1000 calorie deficit until he gets down 100lbs or so. I started around 300 and kept my loss at 2lbs a week until I was about 250lbs (presently 230).
  • MysticLiz
    MysticLiz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I convinced my hubby after Christmas last year and since Dec 26 he' s lost 63 lbs. So proud of him! At the end you're the motivation and inspiration so keep him focused and best of luck!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Do you have a good idea about what he eats now? I would just start with eating the same things, just less. Does he eat 1, 2 or 3 meals there at work? I would suggest, if he eats breakfast at home to make it a healthy one. Also, some people find it easier to restrict calories by restricting carbs, so maybe he can eat the same things but not the bread/bun/sweets. Just some suggestions.
  • CassandraM22
    Options
    When I signed up it gave me a calorie goal of 2200...I thought that was high, I've had success before at a 1500 calorie diet so that's what I set myself up for. I just always eat half vegetables no matter what I eat. a cup of pasta? OK, Lets cut up celery, squash, cucumber until i have a cup of it, and then i saute it and mix into my pasta, makes my 1 serving size of pasta seem HUGE and I'm eating a ton of veggies that I need. Not sure if I'm doing it right but I'm a big girl myself and used to a lot of food.
  • ewhitehurst1
    ewhitehurst1 Posts: 178
    Options
    As far as eating at the restaurant...eat baked wings vs. fried wings. I believe they have veggies also. Avoid dressings and sauces as much as possible. Best of luck to him!
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I always get the grilled fish sandwich at hooters - plain, and normally dont eat the bun.

I also get the fried pickles - they arent healthy but OH.SO.GOOD.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    6'2"
    360lbs
    I'm 6'2" and eating about 2500 a day but that's maintenance calories. If he can eat 2000 - 2200 he'll get better results and it's not starving him at all. My diary is open but he might find it boring and blah.

I should add that he works at Hooters and will be eating there, as well.

What's there? Beer and chicken wings? :laugh: Good luck with that. I would start packing a lunch.

http://www.healthydiningfinder.com/restaurant/hooters
  • pantherkeith
    pantherkeith Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Eating at Hooters and trying to lose weight can be a challenge. Luckily, he is a manager, and can have some things prepared special if he chooses. Just doing grilled vs. fried will do loads of good. If the boneless wings are breast meat, then he can have those without the sauce and be good. Also the grilled chicken sandwich, and the blackend mahi (just the meat). Getting some good carbs/fiber may be the biggest challenge there, but if there are peppers, those would be a good source. Of course, all of these ideas are secondary to the best advice I can think of, and that is to pack a lunch and bring it with him. Best of luck!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    KUDOS on your husband's joining up and working on being healthier!

I find protein and fiber to be filling. I make a turkey meat- triple bean chili (with lots of extra veggies) that fills me up.
  • CassandraM22
    Options
    KUDOS on your husband's joining up and working on being healthier!

I find protein and fiber to be filling. I make a turkey meat- triple bean chili (with lots of extra veggies) that fills me up.

What is the recipe for that turkey meat/bean chili? :)