MMA Trainer put me at 18.7% bodyfat?

Options
Okay so I just joined an MMA gym and am doing their "bootcamp"..After the first session he took my weight, had me hold on to some thingamajig and it said 18.7% body fat...But that seems way lower than I think I am since I still have a bit of a baby pooch...Isnt that almost ab-show level for a chick?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    It depends on each woman. Im assuming you mean one of these-

hbf306v2_web.jpg

These are pretty innacurate. I would try and get a caliper test, a dexa scan, or something more accurate done. :)
  • lifeskittles
    lifeskittles Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Lol yup thats the exact one. My bathroom one says 22% which seems much more accurate to me
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Re: the abs, I'm at 16.8% and still no abs in sight :sad:
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't get the 6 packs.
  • nbsambucca
    nbsambucca Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have used 2 different formulas...now I know there is room for error..but I have been given 29% to 20%. THAT's a pretty damn big gap....I wish I had an accurate way. I guess I have to break down and get a caliper.....
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    Ive had abs before though back in my heavy workout deployed to iraq before baby days lol....
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I find it tough enough to get a scale that is accurate let alone that contraption. You think it would be a simple task but it isn't.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

hbf306v2_web.jpg

These are pretty innacurate. I would try and get a caliper test, a dexa scan, or something more accurate done. :)

I had a test with one of these and it was 17%. I had hydrostatic body fat testing done, which I feel is way more accurate, and the result was 18.3%.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    A post baby pooch is more likely to be excess skin, not excess fat.
  • steve1686
    steve1686 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    those things are horribly inaccurate
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Ive had abs before though back in my heavy workout deployed to iraq before baby days lol....

My statement was to the poster with 16% BF. LOL.
  • ichigo007
    ichigo007 Posts: 97
    Options
    Well the instructions on those handhelds says not to use right after working out. I own one. It will read wrong specially if you sweated a lot.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options

hbf306v2_web.jpg

This thing requires very specific conditions for using. I doubt your trainer monitored you for 24 hours to ensure the conditions were proper.
  • lifeskittles
    Options
    A post baby pooch is more likely to be excess skin, not excess fat.

There is still some fat in that pooch I can squeeze more than just skin lol
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

Yep, so is a bathroom scale.
  • lifeskittles
    Options

hbf306v2_web.jpg

This thing requires very specific conditions for using. I doubt your trainer monitored you for 24 hours to ensure the conditions were proper.

haha no definitely not...
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    What you REALLY want is to ensure that conditions are the same each time you do whichever method of body fat checking you do.

Do it like 3 times in a row to see if the numbers stay relatively the same. If they do, then good. From there, use the same tool for measuring body fat. If it goes down, then you're fine.

Nody in the world is going to be able to look at you and be like "She's not 18% BF, she is so 19%" or what not.
  • lifeskittles
    Options

Yep, so is a bathroom scale.
    it seems like a fair estimate though and the closest to all the other methods Ive tried. Haven't done caliber test yet...What is the most accurate and where can I get it done?
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    yeah my fitness instructor has one of those "thingamajigs" as well. lol

She measures me usually at 31-32% (for the last 2 months) and last night it said 28.5% She said that is accurate but i dont think i am below 30% yet.

If i get calipers, is that something i can do myself? I would like an accurate measurement and dont think there is anywhere around me that does the scans and whatnot.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options

hbf306v2_web.jpg

what are the very specific conditions? i know hydration is important, just curious about the rest!