Too hungry today

Options
paulkj
paulkj Posts: 163 Member
Hello all!!!!

Quick question:

I have suffered with extreme hunger ALL day today.

I usually eat between 5-6 (7 sometimes) meals a day. I work out frequently averaging about an hour 6 days out of the week. I have usually find it very hard to eat all of my calories let alone my exercise calories because one meal keeps me full until the next or even later than that.

But today is a different day. Got up, had my coffee, ate some peanut butter as I always do just to break the fast but was still hungry. I ate a piece of fruit, still hungry, ate my oatmeal, still hungry...well to say the least I had finished almost all of my food that I bring for my work day before 10:30am and was still scrounging around looking for more. I just could not get full today. It seemed as though as soon as I ate I would burn it off and I was hungry almost famished again. I did a considerably shorter than average workout (20 minutes) last night and didn't work out today but I just cannot get/stay full.

Anyone else ever been through this?? What could it possibly be?

Replies

• kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but I can sympathize. it seems I am more hungry on the days that I don't work out. I wish I had the answer for this too. today was one of those days for me too.
    I hope you get some answers.:smile:
  • paulkj
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but I can sympathize. it seems I am more hungry on the days that I don't work out. I wish I had the answer for this too. today was one of those days for me too.
    I hope you get some answers.:smile:

Me too.

Thanks for the response. It's good to know that I am not alone. Funny thing is that I have been at this since May and this is the first time this has happened.

Good luck to you!!
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You mentioned you weren't eating all of your calories on a regular basis--maybe that's catching up with you. I suggest you eat your exercise cals :flowerforyou:
  • paulkj
    Options
    You mentioned you weren't eating all of your calories on a regular basis--maybe that's catching up with you. I suggest you eat your exercise cals :flowerforyou:

I haven't been. I am the worst but I do plan on doing better.

Thanks!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I have those kinds of days now and then. Sunday was one of them. It seemed like no matter what I ate, I was still hungry. If you look at my diary, you'll see I had crackers and cheese, and MORE crackers and cheese, ice cream and MORE ice cream in addition to a perfectly healthy, filling breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I dunno, but I was better the next day.

Maybe it's just a fluke.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    have you been overtraining?

sometimes when we over train, it doesn't allow our muscles to begin to rebuild properly.

when you do slow down, the muscles take it as time to start rebuilding again, it can be a little furious at first, this is why you should have a minimum of 1 day off a week, if you train very heavily (lots of anaerobic workouts) then 2 days off (spread out) is usually better. When muscles build they require lots of material (protein, and carbs to fuel that building process).
  • paulkj
    Options
    have you been overtraining?

sometimes when we over train, it doesn't allow our muscles to begin to rebuild properly.

when you do slow down, the muscles take it as time to start rebuilding again, it can be a little furious at first, this is why you should have a minimum of 1 day off a week, if you train very heavily (lots of anaerobic workouts) then 2 days off (spread out) is usually better. When muscles build they require lots of material (protein, and carbs to fuel that building process).

My workouts consist of a 6 mile run/jog 3 days a week and the other 3 I do weight training for about 45 minutes. I do take one day off. But I have noticed that my calories have dropped considerably. Still eating healthy foods, but I guess it's not enough to fuel my workouts.

Thanks.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    that happened to me the first day after i started boot camp. I was so hungry all day, nothing cud satisfy me. do u drink a protein shake or something immediately after ur workout? that helps replenish ur body.
  • paulkj
    Options
    that happened to me the first day after i started boot camp. I was so hungry all day, nothing cud satisfy me. do u drink a protein shake or something immediately after ur workout? that helps replenish ur body.

Sometimes I do. If not, I will have a high protein meal within an hour after I work out.

Thanks.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Sometimes I do. If not, I will have a high protein meal within an hour after I work out.

Thanks.

FYI, it doesn't need to be a "high protein" meal. Any normal meal with about 5 to 10 grams of protein is fine, as long as you eat it with some good simple carbs (NOTE: yes, simple carbs. This is one of the few times simple carbs are recommended. You want the body to have ample energy source so that it doesn't start converting protein). If you do this, you are fine, as a rule we get plenty of protein, unless you know for a fact you are protein deficient, I doubt you have a need for extra.
  • paulkj
    Options

Thanks.

FYI, it doesn't need to be a "high protein" meal. Any normal meal with about 5 to 10 grams of protein is fine, as long as you eat it with some good simple carbs (NOTE: yes, simple carbs. This is one of the few times simple carbs are recommended. You want the body to have ample energy source so that it doesn't start converting protein). If you do this, you are fine, as a rule we get plenty of protein, unless you know for a fact you are protein deficient, I doubt you have a need for extra.

Good to know..

I will definitely keep this in mind. I kind of pass on the carbs later in the day and that's when I work out.

Thanks.