Can someone PLEASE DUMB it down for me!

Options
From everything I keep reading, you should never eat below your BMR. My BMR is 1662.
MFP says my calorie goals per day should be 1240. (under lightly active)
My TDEE is 2628.

Everything I'm reading is your calorie deficit should come from your TDEE. Meaning, if I ate 1600 calories a day, I would have a 1000 calorie deficit and therefor losing 2 lbs per week. You should NEVER get your calorie deficit from eating below BMR.

So, my question is... Why is MFP telling me to eat 1240 calories a day??? Doesn't that put me at more of a 1500 calorie deficit? I even changed my settings from lightly active, to active ( I exercise 5-6 days a week) and it still has my calorie goals at 1410. Still 200 calories below my BMR.
What am I not understanding here?! Sigh :huh:
I would GREATLY appreciate any help or insight at all :(

Replies

• gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Care to share your stats? (age, weight etc) that you used for the calculations? Something, literally, doesn't add up.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    First off, MFP has never said you shouldn't eat below your BMR.

Secondly, where did you get these numbers? The highest weight loss rate MFP offers is 2 pounds per week, or TDEE minus 1000.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I even changed my settings from lightly active, to active ( I exercise 5-6 days a week) and it still has my calorie goals at 1410.
    It's up to you but this is not how MFP is set up. The site wants to know how active you are NOT INCLUDING EXERCISE, then you eat back the calories from any exercise you do.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    BMR = 1662
    TDEE = 2628

I'd suggest you eat 1700 calories a day, at that you have a 900 calorie deficit. You'll lose almost 2 pounds a week.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    From everything I keep reading, you should never eat below your BMR. My BMR is 1662.
    MFP says my calorie goals per day should be 1240. (under lightly active)
    My TDEE is 2628.

Everything I'm reading is your calorie deficit should come from your TDEE. Meaning, if I ate 1600 calories a day, I would have a 1000 calorie deficit and therefor losing 2 lbs per week. You should NEVER get your calorie deficit from eating below BMR.

So, my question is... Why is MFP telling me to eat 1240 calories a day??? Doesn't that put me at more of a 1500 calorie deficit? I even changed my settings from lightly active, to active ( I exercise 5-6 days a week) and it still has my calorie goals at 1410. Still 200 calories below my BMR.
    What am I not understanding here?! Sigh :huh:
    I would GREATLY appreciate any help or insight at all :(
    your activity level as nothing to do with your daily exercise when it asks your activity level it means in your job because it minuses your weightloss cals so the no it comes up with you can eat then you add exercise in and you can eat that back
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    It's simple.
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work
    And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies
    Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!
  • asasser2002
    Options
    Bump... I don't get it either.... everything says something different. :indifferent:
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    You got it wrong.

Thanks Pu, Thats obvious! lol Can you explain how, and the way that is right!?
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    First off, MFP has never said you shouldn't eat below your BMR.

Secondly, where did you get these numbers? The highest weight loss rate MFP offers is 2 pounds per week, or TDEE minus 1000.

I got my BMR from the tools section, and I got my TDEE from a calculator online.
    I know its pretty accurate because I have a FitBit and know I burn on average 2600-3000 calories in a 24 hour period.
    I know 1000 cal deficit should yield 2 lbs weight loss, my confusion comes from the Cals MFP is telling me to eat vs. my BMR and TDEE numbers.
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options
    Care to share your stats? (age, weight etc) that you used for the calculations? Something, literally, doesn't add up.

5' 7" , 203.8 lbs. I'm a stay at home mom (not a sit on the couch mom) I clean a 5 bedroom 2/story house daily, mow lawn, have 4 children, chase a 2 year old and infant all day... along with that I exercise 5-6 days a week extra, doing P90X and 30 day Shred, etc.

Oh, and I'm 33 lol
  • DanaDark
    Options
    MFP works on a very basic formula that is not entirely individualistic. I suggest setting it to manual.

Eat above your BMR, below your TDEE. If you are shooting for 2 pounds a week, then if TDEE - (Calories eaten today) < 1000, exercise to add in missing calories.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options

5' 7" , 203.8 lbs. I'm a stay at home mom (not a sit on the couch mom) I clean a 5 bedroom 2/story house daily, mow lawn, have 4 children, chase a 2 year old and infant all day... along with that I exercise 5-6 days a week extra, doing P90X and 30 day Shred, etc.
    right go back into the start and enter your details put in that you are lighly active go with the recommended settings and go for 1lb per week this without exercise will give you over 1400 cals base to eat then when you exercise it will add on thecals for you to eat mfp does the calculations for u your deficit is already taken off
  • M3l1s5a
    M3l1s5a Posts: 69
    Options
    BMR = 1662
    TDEE = 2628

I'd suggest you eat 1700 calories a day, at that you have a 900 calorie deficit. You'll lose almost 2 pounds a week.
    Dana, would you suggest for me as well??

BMR - 1567
    TDEE - 2120

Thanks!!!
  • DanaDark
    Options

BMR - 1567
    TDEE - 2120

Thanks!!!

At that, eat about 1600 a day. Thats a 500 calorie deficit for 1 pound a week weight loss. Look at BMR as the minimum you should eat and TDEE as the maximum you should eat. If you eat in between, you will lose fat weight (water weight may vary).

So, if you blow it and eat 2000 calories on a Saturday, that's still under TDEE and means fat loss still!
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

Oh, and I'm 33 lol

Sounds like a very active life to me. if you spend more time during the day moving then you do sitting maybe you should up your lifestyle level.
  • M3l1s5a
    M3l1s5a Posts: 69
    Options

BMR - 1567
    TDEE - 2120

Thanks!!!

At that, eat about 1600 a day. Thats a 500 calorie deficit for 1 pound a week weight loss. Look at BMR as the minimum you should eat and TDEE as the maximum you should eat. If you eat in between, you will lose fat weight (water weight may vary).

So, if you blow it and eat 2000 calories on a Saturday, that's still under TDEE and means fat loss still!

Thank you so much!
  • danysgoal
    danysgoal Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi

Why should I eat back my exercise calories? That way, I get up to close to 1900 calories or more when I do spinning, 1400 cal + 500 something calories from the spinning. I don't lose weight as it is!
    I'm also fairly discouraged when after tracking, the MFP says that if all my days are the same, I will weight x Pounds by July something.
    After 2 weeks of really good work, no weight loss where the site had me down by almost 5 pounds in a few weeks.
    I think this is what discourages me the most. Hoping I will loose the weight announced and seeing no result.
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options

BMR - 1567
    TDEE - 2120

Thanks!!!

Dana, you seem to have a really good grasp on this can you help me as well? i need the maximum loss a week i can get!
    BMR: 1,573 calories/day*
    TDEE: 1901 (desk job)
    TDEE: 2184 (if i work out 1-3 days a week)
  • ExplorinLauren
    Options

Oh, and I'm 33 lol

Sounds like a very active life to me. if you spend more time during the day moving then you do sitting maybe you should up your lifestyle level.

Well, I just upped it from lightly active to active. Even so, Its telling me to 1410 cals a day. Still 200 below my BMR. So, even if I ate 1400 calories a day, then exercise and burn 300 cals a day, and ate the calories back, I would still only be at 1700 calories a day.... almost like exercising and eating back the calories would be the ONLY thing that even got me back up to my BMR level. Sigh :( I just don't understand something.
  • DanaDark
    Options

BMR - 1567
    TDEE - 2120

Thanks!!!

Dana, you seem to have a really good grasp on this can you help me as well? i need the maximum loss a week i can get!
    BMR: 1,573 calories/day*
    TDEE: 1901 (desk job)
    TDEE: 2184 (if i work out 1-3 days a week)

People that want my help, please email me on here. I don't want to hijack a thread. he he.