Can any women recommend good gym shoes?

Options
2»

Replies

• 1SlimShaylee
    1SlimShaylee Posts: 204
    Options
    i love my nike footbed. i think they were $75.00 and are made out of memory foam. awesome for zumba, elliptical, lifting, etc :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Nike Free Trainers(Not the running shoe.. all though I love those to!)
  • shonovo
    shonovo Posts: 104
    Options
    asics gel!!! i loooove mine!
  • gypsycoyote
    Options
    It's weird, but the Shape Ups work wonders for me. I cannot wear them on the stationary bike (my feet go numb, not just the toes, so I take them off when I decide to pedal and my feet are much happier with me after that), but on the treadmill, elliptical, and for everyday outdoor movement the Shape Ups are amazing :D I also love my Converse for all around movement and working out, but I use those for hiking (they are Shoes for Crews in the Converse style, so they are super grippy and really amazing). :D
  • chiquita2828
    chiquita2828 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try RYKA brand shoes! The are made for women with high arches! I have had many foot problems and just got out of surgery about a month ago... they are phenominal!
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different i find Nike most comfortable as I have a wide foot. You need to just go to a good shop and try them in. Paying more dkesnt necessarily mean you get a better shoe.
  • natpalit
    natpalit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem before. My suggestions would be:

1. Increase the resistance on the elliptical, and slow down, that way you can concentrate on spreading the pressure across your whole foot, not just the ball, which is why this happened to me. Increasing the resistance will make the workout just as tough, even though you're decreasing the speed.

2. change over to the treadmill, although it might be daunting, it should resolve the problem, and running burns a lot more calories and works you harder than the elliptical.

3. It sounds like you're working out very regularly. I would definitely recommend having two pairs of shoes, and alternating them. It will reduce how quickly they get worn out, it can take up to two days for a running shoe to get back to it's original shape, dependent on how hard you work out, and how heavy you are.... Plus you can mix up the colours, to add more variety to your cute workout outfits. ;)

Hope this helps
  • PurpleEpiphany
    Options
    That does help, thanks :) I have to be careful with the resistance on the elliptical, though, or I start to feel it in my knee. Still, I am trying to concentrate on being more upright and making sure my foot goes all the way flat. I tend to go up on the balls of my feet when I stop paying attention (dratted bellydancer training, lol) and I think that's half the problem.

Treadmill is usually a no go because of the above knee issues, but I may try it again at some point. I think I need to lose some weight before I'm there, though. Takes a lot of pressure off the knees!

As for the last...well, I'm not going to argue against more cute shoes :)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty bad with cross trainers. i pretty much just use old running shoes that i cant use for running anymore. right now i'm alternating between some new balance shoes i used for training runs and puma shoes i used for races.

as for the tingling toes thing, try lifting your feet up from the pedal a few times every few minutes or so
  • sjlockyer912
    Options
    My toes used to go numb until I laced my shoes differently: instead of crisscrossing laces from toe to ankle try: first loops for laces straight across then feed the lace on left side through the next hole on left l, feed the lace on right thru the next hole on right, repeat one more time on each side (will create a kind of U shape) then begin crisscrossing left to right as usual through last few holes (left over to right hole , right over to left hole).....by doing this you are able to keep your feet secure in your shoes, and prevent slipping and sliding but you take the pressure off of your toes and ball of your feet...I am so happy I learned this trick..,no more numb tingiling toes!