Fat Loss Guide

Options

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I'm a nutrition science major, and I haven't been taught nutritional differences based on body type once. Where is this information from?

You haven't??? They should have already taught you a little background, diets, exercises for the different body types. I took a few courses that had a little bit of info from it I'm pretty sure.

We were taught that different diets work better for different people, but never about three set body types. Endomorph, ectomorph, mesomorph? They don't even sound familiar enough for me to type out confidently. I've never come across them in a textbook or in my courses.

ETA: I did a search on here and found this on another thread:
    There is no scientific or physiological basis for these terms. It's a myth.

As was already stated, Sheldon invented this theory to explain personality types, and then said people with those personalities, have those kinds of bodies. It's no different than making claims that people with green eyes burn more calories than people with blue eyes. It's fallacious nonsense.

After a quick Google search, I found that this was invented by a psychologist to explain people's temperaments based on body shape. Sounds like old school pseudoscience to me. Sure, some people have an easier time putting on muscle/losing fat, but this three body type thing seems questionable from a physiological standpoint.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm a nutrition science major, and I haven't been taught nutritional differences based on body type once. Where is this information from?

You haven't??? They should have already taught you a little background, diets, exercises for the different body types. I took a few courses that had a little bit of info from it I'm pretty sure.

We were taught that different diets work better for different people, but never about three set body types. Endomorph, ectomorph, mesomorph? They don't even sound familiar enough for me to type out confidently.

Hopefully that's because they don't plan on teaching it. I've never seen anything credible that shows that somatotypes mean jack-diddly-crap when constructing a diet.
  • 2abnorth
    2abnorth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bumping. Great reference all in one spot! Thanks!
  • Divagettinfitin2011
    Options
    Bump
  • slkehl
    Options
    I also have an issue with the way BCAAs are presented here. They may be helpful for heavy lifters when doing fasted training, but that's about it. They're really not necessary for the majority of people and can be quite dangerous if used in excess. Which tends to happen a lot among the "if some is good, more is better" crowd.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I also have an issue with the way BCAAs are presented here. They may be helpful for heavy lifters when doing fasted training, but that's about it. They're really not necessary for the majority of people and can be quite dangerous if used in excess. Which tends to happen a lot among the "if some is good, more is better" crowd.

Agreed regarding effectiveness/usage. What have you seen regarding overuse?
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    bump
  • NZhellkat
    NZhellkat Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • webarr2003
    Options
    Thanks I was wondering how many times a week I was suppose to do weight training. Also, can you give some examples on how to lose the fat in the abs, I heard pilates was good but I have a bad back. So I'm always looking for options that don't require me to be on the floor for a long period of time.
  • slkehl
    Options

Agreed regarding effectiveness/usage. What have you seen regarding overuse?

Theoretically, people should be able to just pee out any excess that they consume, but there's a number of very common conditions that could be negatively impacted by high use of BCAAs. There's thought that excessive BCAA consumption may exacerbate depression or cause issues in those susceptible to depression. There could also be issues for people with diabetes who are taking meds that already lower their blood sugar. And potential negative side effects for those with kidney disease, liver disease, and a number of other less common conditions.

All of which goes to say that it's important to be cautious when using BCAAs or any other supplements. Read the label and follow the instructions. Check with your doctor to make sure there's no potential for negative effects, based on your conditions and meds.
  • Get_Me_Fit1
    Options
    Bumpppp
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    bump to read later when I get home
  • ccreflections
    Options
    BUMP
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • ckillips
    ckillips Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    bummpp jpohghkj[pmfhjk[
  • tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    bump for later, got halfway through but have to go to bed...
  • gaveupheart
    gaveupheart Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    bump.. reading later
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    When cutting and pasting from an online source you should give credit to the author.