Have you ever had an ECG?

Options
janemem
janemem Posts: 575 Member
I'm going for an ECG tomorrow and I haven't a clue what to expect. Does it take long? Do you have to strip off for it? Do you just sit/stand still?
Sorry for all the ??'s but I'm getting a tad anxious about it.

Replies

• bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    just electrodes on the chest is all. are they doing a stress test echo?
  • janemem
    Options
    just electrodes on the chest is all. are they doing a stress test echo?

I have no idea to be quite honest, all I know is there'll be electrodes on my chest, arms and ankles.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    No biggie at all. You'll need to expose party of your chest for the electrodes, but you really don't need to take your clothes off. They may put some on the top of your feet, too, so make sure your toes are pretty!
  • bikermike5094
    Options
    I may have read this wrong.. i thought you said ekg.....
  • bikermike5094
    Options
    did they mention running on a treadmill?
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Why don't you ring them and just ask?
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    no stripping. They stick a bunch of electrodes to you with stickers and you sit still for a few minutes, then they're done. Pulling the stickers off is the worst, i'm allergic to the adhesive.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    A basic ECG . They have you remove your top/bra, they put electrodes on you with these sticky discs and you wait.
    They eventually come back check what the reading was. If its not an emergency, they usually relay the info to your family Dr. and he then either calls you up to make an appointment to discuss or lets it be until you come in for your next check up.
    I can't recall but I believe I was hooked up for about 30-40 min. Not painful, no worries :)
  • janemem
    Options
    No biggie at all. You'll need to expose party of your chest for the electrodes, but you really don't need to take your clothes off. They may put some on the top of your feet, too, so make sure your toes are pretty!

My toes are always pretty, lol! :wink:
  • danread
    danread Posts: 2
    Options
    I've had one. You have to take your shirt off, and that's it. They put electrodes on your chest, ankles, and I think around your stomach too. It only took like 3 minutes.
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    are you talking about an echocardiogram? I think that's what it's called, and I had one - no big deal - they attach little things to your chest area to hear your heart, and it's not uncomfortable or painful.
  • janemem
    Options
    I may have read this wrong.. i thought you said ekg.....

It's the same thing I think.
  • bikermike5094
    Options
    the electrodes they put on the nipples are the worst!

Just kidding!!!
  • janemem
    Options
    Why don't you ring them and just ask?

I didn't have the chance today and now the surgery is closed until morning.
  • Jani2416
    Jani2416 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I go every year...I have the things taped to my chest, legs. you lay there, shirt off..with that pretty paper gown. Very easy!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    All the time! I used to be an emt/firefighter and we ran them on each other for practice. It's not a big deal. No pain or anything. They may have you put on a gown but may not if they have easy access to your rib cage/chest area. All they do is stick a few sticky electrodes and wires (pads) on various spots on your body, sometimes up to 12. Then they have you sit quietly for a minute while they run the test, then they print it out. Test is over!
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I got one, it didn't hurt but it was akward because you have to be bare chested. That was weird for me.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes, I had one a few years back, and was really nervous about it too!! (I have a thing about being more exposed in front of other people) TBH it wasn't as I thought it would be, and it didn't take long. You just lie there for a couple of minutes, with the electrodes on you and that's it.

I had to take my top + bra off for it. If you only have it on your chest/arms/ankles, I can't see the need really to be stripping off properly.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Its easy, they just stick the things to you, you may have to take your top off and wear a wireless bra. :-)
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've had a few. Honestly the worst part about it is the nervousness about the result.