inputting meals out?

jeserf
jeserf Posts: 12 Member
How do you put in meals out from non-chain restaurants where nutrition data isn't available? On WW, i would just estimate points, but I'm wondering if anyone has a trick they use...

Replies

• nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    I ask them for nutrition facts, If they don't have any, I ask them how many oz of meat (or whatever the food is) and enter all else as generic
    example:
    Sandwich: Wheat bread, turkey, tomato, lettuce, avocado and Cucumber.

Ask them how many oz of turkey, look at how many slices of tomato and enter it as slices, estimate the amount of lettuce ect.
    Hope that helps :)
  • jeserf
    jeserf Posts: 12 Member
    yeah, I get that part. It's more nicer restaurants - we dont live where there are many chains (nor do we frequent chains), so it's a single location of something. I guess I go out so rarely, it doesn't really matter...but still
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Yeah, I understand, my best guess would be to estimate and make healthy choices, avoid dressings on salads and stick to lean meats and nothing fried (or very minimal if it is a treat) Once you start measuring you own food for long enough you'll be able to have a better guess at the amounts your eating. Some people on here will suggest to ask the waiter for a to go box when they bring out your meal and put half in there, that helps with portion control which might help with the estimates of amounts of food.
  • verbalriot
    verbalriot Posts: 90
    I live in NYC and find this particularly hard when going out...I try to make sure I have a lot of calories saved up for dinner and log as closely as possible to what I ate. If I'm shelling out money for a nice dinner, I'm also not going to just get the salad with dressing on the side. I consider it a "cheat meal" and move on :)