Thininspo Site=Rage

Options
Today while exploring Yahoo (good waste of time) I came across an article talking about Kate Upton. Now, I don't know my models but looking at the picture I though "hu... she's not half bad." Apparently, this thininspo site called "Skinny Gossip" was attacking her for having "Huge thighs, NO waist, big fat floppy boobs, terrible body definition." What? I check out the site and only got to page 3 before I nearly commented a huge rant. So many of the comments are of people trying to go to "extreme diets" to lose 20 lb. in a week or month. I remember one saying she was 110 and 5'4 and want to lose about 10-15. No one told her that she was harming her self.
I've check out others (I'm in my schools online Health class for the summer) and amazed on some of the stuff they put on there. It's not of women like us who lost 15-100+ pounds but of models, who were skinny to start off with. I don't understand how this can motivate people. All it does to me is make me feel like crap. Has anyone else here checked out the thininspo sites?

Replies

• jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    really?
    think about it like this, those thinspo sites are run by people with a mental disorder for people with a mental disorder. They're not in MFP, because MFP is primarily a health-oriented site. I don't agree with pro-ana sites but i am kinda glad they exist to keep people who are sick and not ready to get better off of sites like this.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, and my understanding of it is nill admittedly, the sites stating that she is fat, etc are all proana sites... it's a load of crap in my opinion... Kate is GORGEOUS.
  • Long_and_Lean
    Long_and_Lean Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I've lurked on skinnygossip a fair bit (I can't help it, the articles and message boards are so outrageous, it's like a train wreck and I can't look away), and the site itself isn't pro-ana, though many of the people on the boards are definitely borderline if not full-blown anorexics. The site moderator/writer has some ridiculously unrealistic assessments of human bodies (as in, if you twist a certain way there will be folds on your body in certain places NO MATTER WHAT SIZE YOU ARE, and whoever runs the site doesn't seem to realize that). Combine that with a *****y attitude and insecurity, and you get skinnygossip.

*edit* I forgot to mention that there are also a fair bit of level-headed people on the boards of that site.