HCG and Rapid Weight Loss/Exercise

Options
Hi all - I have been commenting on many posts but never really introduced myself. I have been trying to lose the same 30lbs for the past 5 years (started needed to lose 20 and now need 30). I am getting back on the band wagon with MFP, Zumba and Weights. I have found over these years even when i am on an upswing which can last for months before i fall to the way side the most i ever lose is about 5 lbs. I don't know what the problem is. Some friends have been successful with HCG and my Dr says no problem but I'm afraid bc of hormone issues that i have. Any opinions on HCG and any suggestions on how to get my body to burn this weight. Also i am 5'9 weigh about 160 (I avoid the scale so not sure) and goal is 130. All my weight is in my face and belly and i have not had children.

Thanks also to all my new buddies, you guys have helped me stay on track already. Looking forward to us all reaching our goals.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Any opinions on HCG and any suggestions on how to get my body to burn this weight.

You'll get lots of opinions about HCG and this thread will probably be locked very soon and HCG is considered a VLCD (very low cal diet) you get expensive, ineffective injections and go on an unsafe 500 cal/day diet which. HCG is still, for now,, legal in the US but banned in many countries as it's considered ineffective and unsafe, sadly in the US it seems that the mighty $$ rules and health care providers make a lot of money with this.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/an02091

I know that BMI is not the supreme indicator of health but at your current weight and height you are in the healthy range.

Personally I advocate taking an approach that is sustainable, a small caloric deficit combined with exercise (both cardio & strength). It may take a while for the weight to come off but if you're consistent and patient it will happen in a healthy way.
  • Reneefit135
    Reneefit135 Posts: 170
    Options
    Thanks is that topic outside of guidelines? If so i may need to repost my question and take the HCG part out. With regard to BMI i now its in healthy range but its on the high end and its that whole "skinny fat" thing. You've seen people with protruding bellies but thin everywhere else so while the scale may say its normal its obvious fat. Sometimes though i wonder if thats why it takes so long to come off. My body thinks its normal to be this way...NOT
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    LOL - the mental image you planted was of the old guys with toothpick legs and beerbellies.

When you're quite close to your healthy weight it's harder to lose those last few pounds; the sad part is that it takes a lot less work to put a few pounds on than it does to take them off. Consistency and patience are your new best friends, you mentioned that you'd jumped into programs only to let them slide after a few months - that suggests that you just haven't found the right activities yet.

Try to think in terms of things you enjoy doing (riding a bike, walking, swimming) as they're the ones you're more likely to stick to. Lifting weights is a great way to improve strength, burn fat, improve bone density etc etc but if you don't like doing it you're not likely to stick with it (you may surprise yourself....) same with running, if you don't like it don't do it.

Good luck! Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Please do not attempt the HCG diet. It is a dangerous starvation diet, as scientists have repeatedly proven that HCG does NOTHING to make it safe to eat so little food.

The HCG diet has done nothing but HARM to people I know that used it.

The only reason people lose weight on that plan is you are only allowed to eat 500 calories a day. HCG has been scientifically proven to do NOTHING to help with weight loss or to make it safe to eat only 500 calories a day. It will not protect muscle, reset your metabolism or do anything else the snake oil salesmen that sell it claim. Dr. Simeons was a quack doctor. His "HCG protocol" has absolutely NO scientific backing and is not worth risking your health on.

You will most likely get that weight back, as that is what happens to almost everyone that does that dangerous HCG starvation diet

Any doctor that pushes the HCG diet plan should be stripped of their license to practice medicine because they are being totally unethical and giving advice that goes against the conclusions of all reliable scientific research on the subject.

The HCG diet has been studied by many scientific organizations, and they all concluded that HCG, even the "real" injectable version, is no more effective than a placebo, and eating only 500 calories a day for weeks, as recommended by that plan, can cause more health problems than it solves.

I know some people that put their faith in the HCG diet, and became very ill from malnutrition as a result. Then they regained more weight than they lost. Now they wish they never heard of HCG.

The Government is now in the process of getting all that fraudulent stuff off the market, and it's about time!

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm281333.htm

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/hcg-diet-dangerous-1428

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/AN02091

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/weight-loss-cure-dont-want-you-to-know

http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    LOL - the mental image you planted was of the old guys with toothpick legs and beerbellies.

When you're quite close to your healthy weight it's harder to lose those last few pounds; the sad part is that it takes a lot less work to put a few pounds on than it does to take them off. Consistency and patience are your new best friends, you mentioned that you'd jumped into programs only to let them slide after a few months - that suggests that you just haven't found the right activities yet.

Try to think in terms of things you enjoy doing (riding a bike, walking, swimming) as they're the ones you're more likely to stick to. Lifting weights is a great way to improve strength, burn fat, improve bone density etc etc but if you don't like doing it you're not likely to stick with it (you may surprise yourself....) same with running, if you don't like it don't do it.

Good luck! Remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint.

This helps a lot, thank you! And that picture is a true picture LOL. Thats how my dad always was toothpick legs and beer belly and passed it on to me. Eventhough i don't even drink beer LOL...one day i will post some before pics :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Have you tried calculating your TDEE, cutting 20% and weight lifting? You have probably failed because you do all low calorie diets which don't work long term. And also, setting an arbitrary goal of 130 probably isn't helpful. In order to achieve that, you will probably need to lose muscle. What you need to do is cut fat. At 5'9, you should probably be 145-150 and you would look better. See links below to what I mean. Weight is meaningless.

HCG is a scam and will make you lose muscle and you will gain back the weight faster and easier.

ps- In before the lock!!!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    Please do not attempt the HCG diet. It is a dangerous starvation diet, as scientists have repeatedly proven that HCG does NOTHING to make it safe to eat so little food.

The HCG diet has done nothing but HARM to people I know that used it.

The only reason people lose weight on that plan is you are only allowed to eat 500 calories a day. HCG has been scientifically proven to do NOTHING to help with weight loss or to make it safe to eat only 500 calories a day. It will not protect muscle, reset your metabolism or do anything else the snake oil salesmen that sell it claim. Dr. Simeons was a quack doctor. His "HCG protocol" has absolutely NO scientific backing and is not worth risking your health on.

You will most likely get that weight back, as that is what happens to almost everyone that does that dangerous HCG starvation diet

Any doctor that pushes the HCG diet plan should be stripped of their license to practice medicine because they are being totally unethical and giving advice that goes against the conclusions of all reliable scientific research on the subject.

The HCG diet has been studied by many scientific organizations, and they all concluded that HCG, even the "real" injectable version, is no more effective than a placebo, and eating only 500 calories a day for weeks, as recommended by that plan, can cause more health problems than it solves.

I know some people that put their faith in the HCG diet, and became very ill from malnutrition as a result. Then they regained more weight than they lost. Now they wish they never heard of HCG.

The Government is now in the process of getting all that fraudulent stuff off the market, and it's about time!

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm281333.htm

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/hcg-diet-dangerous-1428

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/AN02091

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/weight-loss-cure-dont-want-you-to-know

http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml

This is really helpful, thank you! I won't try it. I am too afraid of health issues. Everyone i know 3 people lost quickly on this diet and they said they weren't hungry but they have all done it several times because the weight always comes back. I want to lose in a way that is healthy and sustainable. I figure this process I'm going through now will help get my mind right so that i can successfully keep the weight off even though it is coming off at snails pace if at all.
  • Aneallen2009
    Options
    You will get a different answer out if me than most. My step dad done the hcg injections from a clinic in greenville sc. He lost a pretty decent amount of weight. I was impressed. His mood improved a lot. He was on a diet but it was not 500 calories! It did seem to be much healthier than he was eating but very bland... I want to get them done but they are expensive. They are not legal in the us to just buy and take at your leisure. You have to see a doctor at a clinic to get them at full strength. My medical doctor will not even talk to ne about them. From what I gather it is not the shot that causes weight loss. The shot regulates and balances your bodys natural hormones allowing you a better mood and mindset and the diet helps you get eating habits under control. They also gives you a workout plan and since you are feeling better you are more likely to pit your all into it therefore you lose weight. Basically it all depends on you... Like any diet/exercise plan you have to follow like your suppose to to liar the weight.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have a very strong opinion about HCG!
    My niece has been getting the injections, with her Drs approval and she's lost a lot of weight, quickly. She is however IN THE HOSPITAL, very ill and peeing black stuff and possibly has kidney damage from using HCG!
    DO NOT USE IT. Learn how to eat right and move more. Your life is worth more than a quick fix!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I hope someone reports that so-called "doctor" to the state medical board so they can investigate them and hopefully revoke their license to practice medicine!

Any doctor that recommends or prescribes ANY version of the HCG diet for weight loss is going against all the scientific studies that have proven that HCG does NOTHING for weight loss or to make it safe to eat only 500 calories a day for weeks.

Everyone I know that did the HCG diet regained all the weight they lost in a relative short time, so it's no better than any of the other "quick weight loss" fad diets that might make the weight come off fast, but can endanger your health and are never a permenant solution to weight problems.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Good for you! Congratulations on deciding to lose weight the healthy way!

Many people are able to lose weight faster when they eat a high percentage of organic fresh food, as the chemicals in processed food cause some people's bodies to hold onto fat. Recently, I started doing at least 2 homemade raw fruit and vegetable smoothies a day, and that is helping me to have more energy and lose some weight around my mid section.
  • Reneefit135
    Options

Many people are able to lose weight faster when they eat a high percentage of organic fresh food, as the chemicals in processed food cause some people's bodies to hold onto fat. Recently, I started doing at least 2 homemade raw fruit and vegetable smoothies a day, and that is helping me to have more energy and lose some weight around my mid section.

You know its interesting you say this. I did a raw food diet for 2 weeks and did notice that I started to lose right away. I should probably try that again. Its just hard with my schedule to constantly have fruit and veggies on hand.
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have to credit HCG with kickstarting my weight loss ...I did HCG with the drops for four days, realized it was the stupidest most miserable thing I'd ever done and I was sick of fad diets, and so I started eating healthy and going to the gym. :P
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

You know its interesting you say this. I did a raw food diet for 2 weeks and did notice that I started to lose right away. I should probably try that again. Its just hard with my schedule to constantly have fruit and veggies on hand.
    You can also look into the Paleo diet. It doesn't restrict calories like other diets.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Ditch the HCG and lose the weight safely.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I know it can be hard to do raw food if you are in a situation where you eat a lot of your meals away from home, but if you want to do smoothies and can keep them in a container that keeps it cold so it doesn't spoil, you can take them to work with you.

I've found that it's much easier to wash the blender after making a raw food smoothie than it is to wash up after cooking!

If you Google "raw food smoothies", you'll find lots of healthy recipes!
  • harpercutie
    harpercutie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    ive done HCG and it was the best thing that could have happened to me.
    i did injections and lost up to 20 pounds.
    i now love myself more than ever and im blessed to have had the opportunity to try it.

tip: just do not inject while you are on your period.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Injecting HCG is NOT a safe or effective way to lose weight.

You only lost because you were on that extremely low calorie diet. Everyone I know that did that diet gained back all the weight they lost in a relatively short time because the HCG diet is no better than any of the other "drop weight fast" diets that might take the weight off fast due to the extreme calorie restrictions, but can wreck your health and metabolism in the process. No one I know that did HCG would try it again or recommend it to others.

Scientists have proven repeatedly that HCG does NOTHING for weight loss. The HCG diet is based on a theory by a quack doctor Simeons from back in the 1950s. It's too bad that so many snake oil salesmen are getting rich on a weight loss theory that not only does not work, but endangers people's health as well.

Injecting HCG or ANY hormone can mess up your other hormones -- which can cause all sorts of health issues you DO NOT want!
  • JanSmelly
    JanSmelly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Purely anecdotal

My husband's mother has had her stomach stapled and gastric bypass. She has tried the cabbage soup diet, not eating after 7 pm, low carb, no carb, and she is still overweight. On Monday I saw a bottle of HCG on her table half gone. When it's all said and done she will still be overweight because she looks for quick fixes. She's not willing to put her heart and real effort into losing weight, so she will always be overweight.

The End.
  • Steven
    Steven Posts: 593 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that our users follow the calorie guidelines automatically assigned by our site, unless they are under the direct supervision of a doctor. We are currently reviewing the medical literature on the HCG/500 calorie diet and reserve the right to moderate against discussions of this diet at any time in the future.

Thank you all for your concern. We're definitely looking closely at this issue.

Regards,
    Steven
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.