Looking for info on c-sections and weight loss - HELP!

Options
I've had three c-sections; for all of them I was overweight. I'm finding the one place where the fat is not really coming off is right above my c-section incision. It's ridiculous! I'm fitting into much smaller sizes on top, but am not doing the same on the bottom half.

Has anyone else experienced the tummy area not going down as fast? Will this area eventually get smaller? (I realize I'll have loose skin, but I'm wanting just plain fat loss, like the rest of my body is experiencing.) Thanks for any help and insight!

Replies

• Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Bump so i can track this question for my wife. 2 C- sections and she has the same problem.
  • dalila747
    dalila747 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    This is more of a skin problem than a fat problem. The skin right above the scar tend to forma little bump. You may lose weight, and the fat beneath it, but the skin itself is always going to be there.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It definitely might be a bit of a skin problem, but ultimately it seems most women lose weight slowest at the place where they gained weight first. I hope you get some good inspiration in this thread b/c I know there are some amazing women on here who have had multiple pregnancies and cesarians and have been able to flatten up their bellies more than I thought possible!
  • Coray1017
    Coray1017 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 c-sections (inscision in the same spot) and unfortunately, most of my weight has shifted to the lower-right of my belly. It looks awful. It's some 5 sizes bigger than my left side - in fact, a couple people have told me I look like I'm pregnant on my right side (sigh). I'd like to know, too, if losing weight will help this. People stare at me like I'm a freak; not a good feeling.
  • bellaboo07
    bellaboo07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump!!
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've lost 62 pounds since having my 2nd c-section. I am losing in that area as well, bu I thikn it definatly isn't as noticable in that section because of the scar tissue there.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Bump I had only 1 c section. I wonder this my self..
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    ITs probably a combination of extra fat, loose skin, and nerve damage.

I wasn't over weight or anything but I have had two c-sections and one half of my scar has pretty bad nerve damage. I can't feel a 4 inch radius circle above the scar and my stomach sticks out more than the other side even though there isn't much fat in that area. My doctor told me that it could go away, but it will take a couple years.
  • Missmissy0003
    Missmissy0003 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have a very small roll there. It has definitely gone down in the last year. My csection was 15 months ago. I think I could get it flatter if I worked out more seriously.
  • Raemama
    Raemama Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I have had 2 c-sections (inscision in the same spot) and unfortunately, most of my weight has shifted to the lower-right of my belly. It looks awful. It's some 5 sizes bigger than my left side - in fact, a couple people have told me I look like I'm pregnant on my right side (sigh). I'd like to know, too, if losing weight will help this. People stare at me like I'm a freak; not a good feeling.

I'm experiencing this same issue, only it's bilateral. I'm so sorry it's happening only on one side! I feel like the more weight I lose, the more my tummy sticks out. Rather infuriating.
  • alexandra0690
    Options
    im only 22 and ive had 2 csec and my fkn body is ruined..and i dont evn have a husband.
  • Coray1017
    Options
    I agree about the nerve damage. I am numb around the scar. Plus, my doctor said I have "no muscle left" in that area. So I guess the c-sections destroyed my muscles there, and that's why my right side is so huge and hangs so low (?) Who knows. I'm afraid that eventually I will need some kind of plastic surgery to get it corrected. That's what my primary care doc told me. Bummer.
  • mizzleslie7
    Options
    I have the same problem I only have had one csection but that area just seems not to come down. Im just continuing to eath right and work out hoping it will come off with out any type of surgery !
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options

Me too!! All the fat I have is right around my belly, but its so much worse on the right side. It almost looks swollen all the time. I've had 3 c/s, and I do know that I have a pretty good chunk of scar tissue on the right side (they removed most of it during c/s #2) so I think that might be part of the issue? I really don't know.
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem.
    i have a what i call the "shelf" above my bikini scar. (where its larger above the scar than below it.)

i asked my doctor about it & he said unfortunately i will always have that because my babies were so large, my stomach muscles were ripped lengthwise. add the lengthways ripped stomach muscles to the 2 crossways incisions and you get "the permanment shelf".

even when i was skinny, still had it, but not as bad. its worse now that im larger. BUT its going down in size again as i lose the extra weight.

I dont mind having a messed up tummy. im proud of my battle scars!
    i would rather have a messed up tummy than to ever hear the joke about "having to take in an extra stitch".

PS. my babies were OVER 10 lbs each, weighed 22.5 lbs & was born holding up their own heads & had 2 teeth thru the gums!! had to bring them home in diapers & a blanket. they didnt fit in newborn clothing. they fitted in 3 month old clothing at birth!!
    ~so ya, im proud. how many petite shorties can say that? ;)
  • christinad95
    christinad95 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I've had three c-sections myself and of course with each one the scare heals deeper creater what is called an "apron". That's the flap you're refering to that you're having trouble with. The fat will burn off, but chances are you will have problems with skin still being there, as it's elasticity is "zero". But on the topic of the fat, yes it will come off, however you have to do exercises targeting that exact area. For example, reverse crunches (lay flat and raise legs up straight then lift your bottom and push toward the ceiling using your lower stomach muscles) balanced crunches with an exercise tube (loop the stretchy tube over and around your feet, then cross the tubes so they create an X over your body. Grab the handles and if the tube is still loose, grab lower on the tube until a little tighter. This not only creates resistance, but helps you balance. Lift your upper body and legs as you crunch in, using your lower stomach muscles to pull your knees into you and your upper torse toward your knees. You'll find that your kind of balancing on your bottom and the tube helps with that balance. Continue to slowly extend your legs in and out along with your upper body for at least 10 crunches.) These two have been very successful for me. I measure my stomach but I measure my upper and lower stomach therefore I'm able to see the inches going down. Also whenever your doing any type of cardio that involves twisting of your lower trunk area (standing with feet hip width apart, knees bent and jab punches to the corners creating a low twisting motion) remember to contract your lower stomach muscles. This helps with balance and movement and works that area at the same time. Hope some of this helps! :smile:
  • Coray1017
    Options

I'm experiencing this same issue, only it's bilateral. I'm so sorry it's happening only on one side! I feel like the more weight I lose, the more my tummy sticks out. Rather infuriating.

*sigh* :-(
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    lol. i meant to say...weighed over 10lbs each, MEASURED 22.5" long & etc....
  • Raemama
    Raemama Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've had three c-sections myself and of course with each one the scare heals deeper creater what is called an "apron". That's the flap you're refering to that you're having trouble with. The fat will burn off, but chances are you will have problems with skin still being there, as it's elasticity is "zero". But on the topic of the fat, yes it will come off, however you have to do exercises targeting that exact area. For example, reverse crunches (lay flat and raise legs up straight then lift your bottom and push toward the ceiling using your lower stomach muscles) balanced crunches with an exercise tube (loop the stretchy tube over and around your feet, then cross the tubes so they create an X over your body. Grab the handles and if the tube is still loose, grab lower on the tube until a little tighter. This not only creates resistance, but helps you balance. Lift your upper body and legs as you crunch in, using your lower stomach muscles to pull your knees into you and your upper torse toward your knees. You'll find that your kind of balancing on your bottom and the tube helps with that balance. Continue to slowly extend your legs in and out along with your upper body for at least 10 crunches.) These two have been very successful for me. I measure my stomach but I measure my upper and lower stomach therefore I'm able to see the inches going down. Also whenever your doing any type of cardio that involves twisting of your lower trunk area (standing with feet hip width apart, knees bent and jab punches to the corners creating a low twisting motion) remember to contract your lower stomach muscles. This helps with balance and movement and works that area at the same time. Hope some of this helps! :smile:

I'm going to try these!
  • Carlybarleyx
    Options
    No advice juust wanted to sympathise! I've had 4 children and my biggest was only 8lb! The others were 7lb 4oz, 5lb 10oz and 6lb 3oz so tiny! I had my first 3 naturally and then my last was an emergancy c-section and I'm devatstated by the apron I've been left with, even breast feeding didn't make my tummy go down like it did with my previous 3!

xx