HRM and Strength Training

Options
So how accurate is a HRM during strength straining as far as burning calories are concerned? I wear mine all the time just to have some kind of estimate to log, but how close is it?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It isn't. At all.
    HRM just doesn't work like that.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I wanted to know why the above poster said that. Here's a good article I read: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75

Still, I am going to use mine because I would like a ball park figure anyways (I don't eat back my exercise calories. I use my TDEE so I always eat a base number).
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I just use the number. I can't account for how much extra energy my body is burning after a resistance exercise as opposed to a cardio exercise so I just eat the HRM number and leave it at that. Works for cuts and bulks. If I'm cutting than I'm not eating over what energy is being spent from recovery. If I'm bulking the worst thing is an extra maybe 100-200 calories on top of a well calculated clean bulk. If I calculated my cut and bulk perfectly there's still only a small window of error on my energy consumption to expenditure.