Respect

I find that this site is so great at having people who are supportive and encouraging, but there is the other side of that too. As people are posting, everyone will have their own opionions and views, there is nothing wrong with that. What we should take into consideration when it comes to the sensitive subject of weight loss and healthy living is that a lot of people are struggling with an addiction or a condition that has been affecting them most of their lives. We have to take some form of sensitivity when replying to posts.
Some people have become "naysayers" or talked down to someone because they have achieved their goals or are further along in theirs when other have just started. One negative comment can change someone's whole journey, if not stop it completely.
RESPECT someone's journey and how they chose to get there. Everyone's approach is different and we should all keep an open mind when someone posts their ideas, questions or comments.
We are all playing for the same team here and all fighting the same battle.
Respect goes a long way!

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    1. I appreciate the thought. I'm all for respect.

2. I don't think it will do anything. The people who agree with you may not need the information, and the people we'd probably like to see be more respectful aren't going to change their behavior because they're called out on it. Sometimes people just disagree about what it means to be respectful.

For example, sometimes posters feel like they're being bullied when they're actually just being challenged. There's a difference. And sometimes people really are being rude.

What actually does kind of bug me, though, is this default position someone takes when what they're saying has been disputed in a rational way, and suddenly it remains valid because it's their opinion or it works for them. In a sense, it is valid as an opinion, but it's kind of irritating to participate in, or watch, a discussion unfold where everyone is trying to be rational, cite sources, talk about how much sense some evidence does or doesn't make, and then out of the blue we're talking about opinions? To some people that might show a lack of respect for critical thinking skills, while the other person might feel like they're being disrespected because their information (which may really be more opinion and less fact) is being challenged. I think both of those people probably would like to be respected and probably feel like they're trying, but it just fails.

And then there are times when people are clearly just being rude because they enjoy it.

Bottom line. It's an internet forum. We should all consider that a warning to proceed with caution. Respect is something to aim for, but we should be realistic.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member

For example, sometimes posters feel like they're being bullied when they're actually just being challenged. There's a difference. And sometimes people really are being rude.

What actually does kind of bug me, though, is this default position someone takes when what they're saying has been disputed in a rational way, and suddenly it remains valid because it's their opinion or it works for them.

^So true. To the OP: Agreed, great post unfortunately I don't think it will do much.