Always go over recommended amount of protein

Options
Almost everyday in my food diary I am over my recommended daily amount of protein. Is this okay?

Replies

• Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I've seen some people's diaries where MFP recommends only 25 grams.... so yeah, that's perfectly fine if you go over. 25 grams is a stupid low minimum. To maintain lean body mass while you burn fat, you should aim eat about 0.75-1 g of protein per lb of lean body weight. I eat min 25 g of protein per meal because I lift weights and am 5'10": winding up around 150 g every day.

Creeping your profile, you'd be good getting around 100 g of protein give or take.

Pros of protein: it takes three times for calories to metabolize it, muscle is more metabolically active than fat (raises your metabolism), and your body can't store excess protein! Why wouldn't you want to eat more? As long as you're getting enough complex carbs and healthy fats in there too.

Good luck.
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    ^ what she said.

I'm about 240 and I eat between 250 and 300g/day.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Yup. Unless you are over by a huge amount every day. The MFP default for protein when setting up your profile is ridiculously low in my opinion.

I shoot for at least 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight daily. I am at about 190 right now so I go for a minimum of 190 grams of protein. Most days I end up closer to 250 grams.
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Lean proteins are recommended - mine was 125 today!
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I go over everyday but I figure it's better than going by the MFP default. I'm ~123 lbs. and most days I'm over 100.
  • tryinghard71
    tryinghard71 Posts: 593
    Options
    Someone told me to take your body weight and divide by 2 and that is how much protein you should be getting a day. Not sure if this is true but it is matching up with my number for me. Usually get in between 65 and 75 a day.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Almost everyday in my food diary I am over my recommended daily amount of protein. Is this okay?

Yes.