Would you call this workout "Lifting Heavy"?

2»

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    To the 'you are an individual snowflake' posters, the fact that she can do so many reps means that by definition, it's not heavy for her.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Heavy lifting is another reference to maximal strength or even absolute strength lifting. Lifting within this range on the force curve involves a weight that is between 80% and 100% of your 1-rep max (RM). This weight range typically includes a rep range of 1 to 5 reps, of course 100% of your 1RM should always equal 1-repetition. Moving into the 8 to 10 rep range is more of strength and hypertrophy (let's just call this moderate for ****s n giggles) mix but keep in mind that maximal strength training and moderate strength training do not lend the same results. Maximal strength training has a more profound effect on recruiting the body's nervous system and building neuro-muscular strength which other higher-rep range lifting can not do. Therefore it also has a more positive effect on enhancing an individual's athleticism.
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Heavy lifting is another reference to maximal strength or even absolute strength lifting. Lifting within this range on the force curve involves a weight that is between 80% and 100% of your 1-rep max (RM). This weight range typically includes a rep range of 1 to 5 reps, of course 100% of your 1RM should always equal 1-repetition. Moving into the 8 to 10 rep range is more of strength and hypertrophy (let's just call this moderate for ****s n giggles) mix but keep in mind that maximal strength training and moderate strength training do not lend the same results. Maximal strength training has a more profound effect on recruiting the body's nervous system and building neuro-muscular strength which other higher-rep range lifting can not do. Therefore it also has a more positive effect on enhancing an individual's athleticism.

Thanks for the info. (:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Heavy is determined by the rep range, not the actual weight.

Sure, you could lift a certain weight that feels heavy for you, and that you feel is a good weight for someone your size/gender, but if you can lift it for 4 sets of 10, for you, it's more of a medium weight, rather than a heavy weight. :smile:

That's a good thing though! Don't think "that's not heavy, I'm really weak!" Instead you should be thinking "that's not heavy enough for me, I can go heavier. Rawr!!" :laugh:

Seriously, 6-8 reps at the most is usually what is seen as heavy. If you can do more than 8, I'd up the weight. The last couple should be a struggle, while still maintaining good form.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member

Kind of, it's determined by the % of your 1RM being used which usually limits you to a certain rep range. Reps by themselves don't determine heavy lifting. For instance, I do speed DL's for 1-rep each set (10 sets total) but depending on the week my weight is only between 50% and 60% of my 1RM. You can see that I'm by no means doing "heavy" lifting in that example. :)
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member

Sure, you could lift a certain weight that feels heavy for you, and that you feel is a good weight for someone your size/gender, but if you can lift it for 4 sets of 10, for you, it's more of a medium weight, rather than a heavy weight. :smile:

That's a good thing though! Don't think "that's not heavy, I'm really weak!" Instead you should be thinking "that's not heavy enough for me, I can go heavier. Rawr!!" :laugh:

Seriously, 6-8 reps at the most is usually what is seen as heavy. If you can do more than 8, I'd up the weight. The last couple should be a struggle, while still maintaining good form.

Thanks for posting this! (:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    For reference, it took my wife 2 months to move up to 160lbs. Would have been faster, but she is dieting

Dang.

I've been at it for like 1.5 months and I'm only still at 85lb. Way to make me feel lame. Lol.
  • abetterjune
    abetterjune Posts: 219
    Wow- thanks for all the responses! Can't wait to read through them. Unfortunately, I posted this in the dreaded 4 o'clock hour (when my child melts into a cranky mess if any little thing is out of the ordinary!) But I will be back to read carefully after bed time.
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Just found this thread and would like to add something. DO NOT lift heavy to start with. You need to get your form correct for any of the lifts you are going to perform. That means starting light and very slowly adding weight to where your form breaks down. This may take several months to a yr or even longer. Better to look at lifting wts as a long journey rather than some 90 day fitness program. If you are going to lift heavy, throw away the dumbells and use the barbell. Dumbells are great for auxillary lifts, but you need the barbell for the main heavy lifts. I cant stress enough about form for safe lifting. Once you tear a muscle or bulge a disc, you are out for a while.