When to input food in your diary?

Options
Do you find it more motivating to calculate your days calories and exercise at the beginning of the day if you can or do you all prefer to add as you go?

I haven't really gotten into exercising that much yet but I do a few things here and there that don't change. I usually plan my meals and snacks for the whole day and input them in my diary in the morning. Of course I might make modifications thru out the day if things come up but I feel it holds me more accountable by seeing how much I have left or if I'm getting to close to going over.

Please share your tips and suggestions!

Replies

• trudence1
    trudence1 Posts: 34
    Options
    I do it in the morning. It helps me avoid being over because of a miscalculation and being too tired to work it off. There are times that I have to change things around because the day was different that planned, but most of the time it works
  • kaali85
    kaali85 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I eat healthily and add as I go along. Planning and me aren't very friendly :)
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I am only on day 3, but I like to pre-plot my food and exercise. I can adjust as needed throughout the day, but getting it all there in the morning keeps me accountable to what I eat and my exercise.
  • taintedbutterfly18
    taintedbutterfly18 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I track as I go along most days. If I am going to be out of town and know I will be eating out most of the day, I plan ahead of time.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    It's easy for me to plan ahead and pre-log during the work week (Monday through Friday) and it really keeps me on track. Saturdays and Sundays I usually log as I go:smile:
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i like to pre-plan my food, and then add on my work outs as i do them.
  • caraguard
    caraguard Posts: 41
    Options
    I always have my phone on me and track in the MFP app as I go. Sometimes my plans change, so I don't pre-track.
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I pack my breakfast and lunch and snacks- usually have a good idea of foods that I will eat and put the big ticket items in like Lean Cuisine Lunch~ bagel with cream cheese for breakfast- but snacks, well I just put them in as I go throoughout the day - and exercise only when I have it done- usually at night :(
  • fguillory
    fguillory Posts: 291
    Options
    I usually prelog
  • lsjd2000
    lsjd2000 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I track as I go - esp at work i will use my phone to input my food items :)
  • AliceKlaar
    AliceKlaar Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I tend to plan out most or all of the next day's eating the evening before.
  • jgirl09
    jgirl09 Posts: 34
    Options
    I log as I go throughout the day, every now and then i'll input my dinner in during the morning/afternoon that way I know how much I can use towards lunch and snacks.
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    As soon as I eat it, I log it. Right after I work out, I log it. I am bad at forgetting things and I dont want to mess this up.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I do the same as @lizziebeth102. I generally log everything I plan on eating and try and leave a little deficit if I want to add something extra during the day or want a treat after dinner.
  • susiebear29
    susiebear29 Posts: 266
    Options
    same as above during the week I log breakfast and lunch in the morning and then finish it off after dinner in the evening, at weekends I don't have time to log before work (have to be there at 7!!) so I write it down in the morning and then log it in the evening!! definitely helps me stick to a plan!! :smile:
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I started pre-logging either the day before or in the morning! It works so much better for me to see the breakdown of what & when I eat. Also, I noticed that adding as a went, I would over eat! This hold me accountable! I do not pre-log my exercise however. I won't challenge myself if I did that!
  • uglyhobo
    uglyhobo Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Add as I go just so I don't get any surprises
    That way I can be more flexible
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    i prefer to prelog everything, that way i dont have to deal with changing stuff around because i "had to have those cookies" or whatever. i usually workout in the afternoon so by dinner i pretty much know if i need to eat a little more or less
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I plan up to lunch and then in the evenings I add what I eat then cause I don't always know what I wanna have
  • SpringFever19
    SpringFever19 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I like to put my breakfast and lunch in before I go to work, and then dinner/snacks at the end of the day. I find I don't have time to add things while I'm at work so I try to to eat things I didn't already account for. Sometimes it works for me.