Pull ups!

Options
2»

Replies

• DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    Looks like you are aiming to reduce your body weight by about ten percent. If you hit your goal, pullups will be quite a bit easier if you follow the advice given in the thread.
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    If you don't have access to an assisted pull up/chin up machine, you can get a set of these assistance bands- they look like large rubber bands- that can help you build your way to being able to do a pull up. I can't do one yet, but I'm shooting for an unassisted chin up by the end of the summer.

Example of the resistance bands:
    trapeze_AssistedPullUpsWithBands.jpg
    This is great advice!
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    So who can do a pull up? Or several? How long did it take you to be able to do one? Or could you always do one? I can't even do one! :( My housemates have a pull up bar so I've been trying every day... I'm buying 3kg dumbells tomorrow in the hopes it will make my arms stronger (providing I actually use them!) Do you think it will work? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can master the pull up bar? :)

Ever heard the terms negatives when weight lifting? Well with pull ups you build strengths with negatives. Do 3 sets of putting yourself into position of a full rep such as having your chin leveled with the top of the pull up bar and then bring yourself slowly down by providing counter resistance until you are about hanging. Do this with as many reps as possible and you will build your pull ups easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRZKAlDtnrM
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    i started with the assisted machine, slowly decreased the weight on it over a period of months... this past week i did unassisted for the 1st time and did 15! lots and lots of practice. I know on youtube there is some guy named scooby and he has a trick for doing your 1st pull-ups. you should look him up.
  • iieee
    iieee Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh dear I've been at home too long, I thought this was a thread about nappies
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Try negatives, try assisted (cheat), keep trying!

I couldn't do one single pull up 20 years ago and maybe managed one or two chin ups at most. Now I can do plyo pull ups launching myself upwards to grab a second pull up bar 15 inches above the first. I like to do pull up circuits - up, out, down, in, out , up, in, down. :-D
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Agreed with doing negatives. That's what I did to build strength. From the time I decided to started working on doing a pull ups to when I could do one, it took about a month. I can only do 2 in a row though. With breaks, I can do more. I started with negatives.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I started with negative chin-ups like 3 weeks ago.

I *almost* did a real one today.
  • Snail313
    Snail313 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I clicked on this thinking pull ups as in for children, lol. I have potty training on the brain.

I cannot do one, I have never been able to, not even when I was little or when I was in shape and a competative swimmer. My strength is all in my legs.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Now I'm going to have to give this a try too... I am nearly at the 'real' push-up stage, so why not :tongue:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If it helps, I helped train a woman who is in her 50s to do pull ups. I think she can do about 15 in a row now.