broken ankle

Options
Msl001
Msl001 Posts: 24 Member
I recently broke my ankle gained a about 15 pounds while it healed. I now am able to walk and put weight on it but it is still sore and running etc is out of the question. I am having hard time figuring out how to work out without hurting myself again. I also find it challenging to stay motivated when even a 15 minute walk makes my ankle sore. Anyone have any tips?

Replies

• zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Can you bike or swim? Those things would minimize the pressure you put on the healing ankle, but still allow you to get some good exercise in. 2 years ago I badly sprained my ankle during a trail running relay. My bike kept me from having to sit around for months while my ankle healed enough to let me run. After a couple of weeks off I was able to carefully bike.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the swimming idea, you can burn a ton of calories with that. At the same time though do your best to get that ankle strong again so you can open up a variety of other workouts down the road.
  • Msl001
    Msl001 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i think swimming might be a possibility i would just have to find a pool i live at the beach so there are npt that many unless i pay a small fortune to use them. My physical therapist keeps yelling at me to slow down but i want to get back to where i was.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    i think swimming might be a possibility i would just have to find a pool i live at the beach so there are npt that many unless i pay a small fortune to use them. My physical therapist keeps yelling at me to slow down but i want to get back to where i was.
    Listen to your physical therapist, you've the rest of your life to get fit, but you've only one chance to make sure your ankle heals right. I broke my knee in two places, when I was 18, I'm 48 now and my knee is still not right, I can not bend it fully. Like you I was in a rush to get back to where I was before I broke it.
  • mjnov
    mjnov Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I was in your position last year. broken ankle, out of commission for about 8 weeks, which really killed my exercise routine. I didnt gain too much weight, but I lost a lot of muscle mass, and it was super difficult to get back in shape.

i spent a lot of time walking, and even though it hurt for awhile, i began to notice i was feeling stronger every time. i would also recommend an elliptical machine or bike, something that doesnt put a lot of pounding pressure on your ankle. for me, swimming was hard because the kicking motion hurt like crazy, but maybe you could wear an underwater brace. also, you could try some type of healing and therapeutic yoga, it could work wonders!

listen to your therapist though! get that calf and leg strong again you will be back to your work out shape in no time =]