Would this annoy you?

Options
When I'm doing squats at the gym I like to have someone spot me. Usually I get a gym manager to do it, but he's not always available. If I interrupted your workout to ask for a spot, would that bother you?

Replies

• lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    From lack of responses, I guess this won't bother anyone!
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    When I squat anywhere above 405 I actually ask for a spotter in case something happens. When I say something happens you don't want to know haha. I actually would not get mad but knowing what a clown I am I would ask you to spot me when working out my calves.
  • lauren3382
    Options
    When I squat anywhere above 405 I actually ask for a spotter in case something happens. When I say something happens you don't want to know haha. I actually would not get mad but knowing what a clown I am I would ask you to spot me when working out my calves.

Dang! I can assure you I'm squatting no where near 400+ pounds!! I'm certainly happy to spot someone in return, although I don't know that too many guys would want my light weight self to spot them, haha!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If you approached me while I was resting between sets, I wouldn't mind.
  • thoroneil
    thoroneil Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Who ever said asking for help and being careful is bad.. If you came too me i wouldn't think its crazy as long as you turn the favor that is..
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Im friendly, I would spot you.
  • lauren3382
    Options

Absolutely! I'd never interrupt someone in the middle of a set.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Totally wouldn't mind but squats are hard to spot for. Are you working in a power rack or some other kind of rack that has some kind of safety pins that you can set as you bail out? That would actually be safer than a spotter according to Rippletoe.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Absolutely! I'd never interrupt someone in the middle of a set.

Then I would be happy to help. :smile:
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    No, if anybody asks for a spot, I am glad to help.
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options

Dang! I can assure you I'm squatting no where near 400+ pounds!! I'm certainly happy to spot someone in return, although I don't know that too many guys would want my light weight self to spot them, haha!

I usually do about 405 10 reps easily with proper form. When you do squats with proper form you sometimes my feel "weak" at a certain rep. Using the squat safety rack helps usually but you have to be extra careful. Sometimes I see people do squats and do half reps and I ask them if they need help spotting and I indirectly tell them to go down a little more and that I "got" them.
  • ZeroWoIf
    Options
    No, if anybody asks for a spot, I am glad to help.

I'm gonna need you to spot me son.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I always ask for a spot on bench (165) and squat (335). Usually the same person is my spotter but if he is not there for some reason, I am selective on who I ask and if they are not there, I lower the weight or wait until another day. But no, it would not bother me if someone asked me to spot them. I would feel privileged that they trusted me enough to do that.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I ask for help. There are 2 men that I am friendly with, and they are so non judgmental. I never feel uncomfortable asking them. In fact one day he saw me doing it w/o a spotter and I ended up with a lecture.

I did watch a young high school-er doing squats with a friend "spotting" while texting on his phone. The boy lost his balance and jammed his fingers between the railing and the 45lb weight. He tore off the padding on his ring finger and needed surgery to put it back on. I had to dress the wound and it looked terrible. his nail was torn away and the tissue was almost completely severed from the finger. Get a spotter!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mind either
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The only time I say no is if a guy is doing bench and asks me to spot. Sorry, I don't want them blowing their breath on me as they push out those last sets.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I'm such a wuss compared to you guys!! LOL I was excited about my 85 lb squats last night o_O. Lam-o right here!! LOL
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I'm such a wuss compared to you guys!! LOL I was excited about my 85 lb squats last night o_O. Lam-o right here!! LOL

not lame.!
  • lauren3382
    Options
    Totally wouldn't mind but squats are hard to spot for. Are you working in a power rack or some other kind of rack that has some kind of safety pins that you can set as you bail out? That would actually be safer than a spotter according to Rippletoe.

I'm working on a basic squat rack that is also use for bench press. My gym only has the one squat rack, besides the Smith, which I refuse to use. Even with the safety pins I'm not entirely comfortable doing them alone, unless I keep the weight really low (and by really low I mean 100lbs...yes I know that's not much compared to some of y'all!)
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    no way is it an annoyance. just remember to return the favor if they see you another time in the gym and ask for a spot.

i've found most people are glad to help with spots. i usually ask for them with my bench press on the last set because i have no idea how my right shoulder will act