Scurvy epidemic on MFP?

Options
2»

Replies

• laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Some people can't afford that much fruit and veg. Who am I to judge another person who's struggling financially? I'm certainly not going to boost my own ego by mocking their diets and applauding myself for eating so much spinach my skin has finally taken on a mutant tinge*. That would make me a total jerk.

*One day it will happen. Just wait.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    They used to push the fruit & veg because they thought it prevented cancer. Now they push them because they think if we'd just eat more fruits and vegetables (& healthy whole grains!) it would end the obesity epidemic.

Are the dietary recommendations for fruit and vegetables based on any science at all?
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty broad statement. I personally don't have the energy to look at enough food diaries to verify or disprove it.

^^ This.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty broad statement. I personally don't have the energy to look at enough food diaries to verify or disprove it.

Ditto.

Who recommends "7-10 servings" amounts anyway? Myplate.gov recommends 1.5c of fruit per day for me. That's a small apple and half a banana. And 2.5 cups of veg. Not that I pay any attention to myplate.gov.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I get my fruit in with no problem. Sometimes to have to eat more veges. But its
    not for trying. :bigsmile:

Your title made me laugh :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Wasn't survey back in the 1800's? Huh?
  • AbbsyBabbsy
    AbbsyBabbsy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    7-10 servings? That seems like a lot. I'm sure I'll get flamed, but I'm not sure we even need 5 servings a day. It wouldn't have even been possible 50+ years ago before it became common to ship in produce from around the world.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Look at the amount of grains included in the food pyramid. Just one of the reasons I don't follow it.

This

I agree fruits and veggies are the best thing fo us along with protein but 10 servings...I wouldn't be able to eat anythign else. I try to hit 5-6 and have more veggie than fruit.

I did WW on and off for many years, and they recommend at least 5 servings, so I aim for at least 5 with more veggies than fruit.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    How come MFP people aren't eating even remotely close to the recommended 7-10 daily servings of fruits and veggies? Discuss. :glasses:
    Since when is 7-10 the recommended number? I throught it was more like 3-5....did I miss a memo?
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Someone asked about the science. Viola!
    There is compelling evidence that a diet rich in fruits and vegetables can lower the risk of heart disease and stroke.

The largest and longest study to date, done as part of the Harvard-based Nurses' Health Study and Health Professionals Follow-up Study, included almost 110,000 men and women whose health and dietary habits were followed for 14 years. The higher the average daily intake of fruits and vegetables, the lower the chances of developing cardiovascular disease. Compared with those in the lowest category of fruit and vegetable intake (less than 1.5 servings a day), those who averaged 8 or more servings a day were 30 percent less likely to have had a heart attack or stroke. (2) Although all fruits and vegetables likely contribute to this benefit, green leafy vegetables such as lettuce, spinach, Swiss chard, and mustard greens; cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, bok choy, and kale; and citrus fruits such as oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruit (and their juices) make important contributions. (2)

When researchers combined findings from the Harvard studies with several other long-term studies in the U.S. and Europe, and looked at coronary heart disease and stroke separately, they found a similar protective effect: Individuals who ate more than 5 servings of fruits and vegetables per had roughly a 20 percent lower risk of coronary heart disease (3) and stroke, (4) compared with individuals who ate less than 3 servings per day.

2. Hung HC, Joshipura KJ, Jiang R, et al. Fruit and vegetable intake and risk of major chronic disease. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2004; 96:1577–84.

3. He FJ, Nowson CA, Lucas M, MacGregor GA. Increased consumption of fruit and vegetables is related to a reduced risk of coronary heart disease: meta-analysis of cohort studies. J Hum Hypertens. 2007; 21:717–28.

4. He FJ, Nowson CA, MacGregor GA. Fruit and vegetable consumption and stroke: meta-analysis of cohort studies. Lancet. 2006; 367:320–26.

Links at the link: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/vegetables-full-story/#2

Plus data on cancer, gastrointestinal health, and vision. And some tips:
    * Keep fruit out where you can see it. That way you'll be more likely to eat it. Keep it out on the counter or in the front of the fridge.
    * Get some every meal, every day. Try filling half your plate with vegetables or fruit at each meal. Serving up salads, stir fry, or other fruit and vegetable-rich fare makes it easier to reach this goal. Bonus points if you can get some fruits and vegetables at snack time, too.
    * Explore the produce aisle and choose something new. Variety is the key to a healthy diet. Get out of a rut and try some new fruits and vegetables—include dark green leafy vegetables; yellow, orange, and red fruits and vegetables; cooked tomatoes; and citrus fruits.
    * Bag the potatoes. Choose other vegetables that are packed with more nutrients and more slowly digested carbs.
    * Make it a meal. Try some new recipes where vegetables take center stage, such as Tunisian carrot salad and spicy broccolini with red pepper.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    That's an observational study that's absolutely meaningless. It's those same types of studies that said fat was bad, all women should be on hormone replacement therapy and a whole host of others. You use those types of studies to form a hypothesis, not make health recommendations.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    How come MFP people aren't eating even remotely close to the recommended 7-10 daily servings of fruits and veggies? Discuss. :glasses:

Because some of us [me] do not follow the food pyramid. For me, fruit has too much sugar.
  • lynnprice
    lynnprice Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Look at the amount of grains included in the food pyramid. Just one of the reasons I don't follow it.

^^^this
  • Kybelle132
    Kybelle132 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love the "everyone's different" saying.

It's like saying "I have 3 hearts and two stomachs, and my muscles run off of poop"

Haha VERY true...
  • blair_bear
    blair_bear Posts: 165
    Options
    Because MFP also tells me I have gone over my sugar allowance if I eat 2 apples...
  • Kybelle132
    Kybelle132 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Sounds like you need to have some fruit to give you some more energy! LOL....soooo just kidding!!!
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Because MFP also tells me I have gone over my sugar allowance if I eat 2 apples...

That and like others said "it's recommended"
  • jmfraggis
    jmfraggis Posts: 14
    Options
    In the US "Pizza" is considered a vegetable so that they can serve it in the schools...it is eating that "healthy" that put us all on MFP in the first place.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't know that I had 5 servings of veg for breakfast just by looking at my food diary. I blend my veggies into my breakfast smoothies.
  • xxcandywrathxx
    xxcandywrathxx Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I eat about 2 servings of fruit - which is recommended. and about 3 servings of veggies. I think Im ok and not going to get scurvy.