How to keep fruit fresh?

Hey everyone I was wondering how do you keep fruit fresh I am a on a very tight budget and I can't afford to buy it every week. :smile:

Replies

• supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Refrigerate it. Except bananas, you'll have to eat those.

Is it possible to break your food budget up so that you can shop more often?
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    lemon juice. Try putting it in a spritz bottle and spraying the fruit. Also try buying more apples, oranges, kiwis, pineapple! They last longer
  • Plussizebritt
    Plussizebritt Posts: 59 Member
    not exactly I can try to put a little bit of cash back though
  • Plussizebritt
    Plussizebritt Posts: 59 Member
    Thank you both!!! =)
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Airtight plastic container! My crisper overfloweth with greenery and I've been putting the overflow into a large decor cake container. It cost me about $10, fits in loads of spinach, basil, coriander and other assorted nice things and keeps them fresh for aaages. Seriously, a week after I buy a bunch of spinach it's still crisp and green. Spooky, but not really, oxygen is the enemy here. Keep your fruit in an airtight container and it won't be as exposed to the air meaning it won't degrade as quickly. Also make sure that the fruit is perfectly dry when you put it in the fridge. Damp fruit and veg just don't last as long.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,183 Member
    Remember...some fruits you can freeze like blueberries, strawberries and sliced peaches.
  • mbcasey2009
    mbcasey2009 Posts: 52 Member
    And...when you see your stuff starting to wilt/go bad/soft/etc...freeze it! Fruit is good for smoothies, desserts, etc, and same for veggies, or you can steam them and incorporate them into other dishes. I despise the grocery store-I tend to spend more money there than on clothing or anything else it seems, so I rely a lot of stuff I've frozen. Good luck and be creative!
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Airtight plastic container! My crisper overfloweth with greenery and I've been putting the overflow into a large decor cake container. It cost me about $10, fits in loads of spinach, basil, coriander and other assorted nice things and keeps them fresh for aaages. Seriously, a week after I buy a bunch of spinach it's still crisp and green. Spooky, but not really, oxygen is the enemy here. Keep your fruit in an airtight container and it won't be as exposed to the air meaning it won't degrade as quickly. Also make sure that the fruit is perfectly dry when you put it in the fridge. Damp fruit and veg just don't last as long.

You rock! Thanks for the tips!
  • yvp512
    yvp512 Posts: 3
    Freeze your fruit in the freezer. They are delicious in shakes and frozen. Especially during these hot days of Summer. Grapes are fabulous frozen. Bananas - peel the skin and place them in a ziplock bag. I love frozen bananas. And sprinkle melted chocolate on them and they are healthy for you. Strawberries are great frozen as well.
  • Chyll88
    Chyll88 Posts: 76 Member
    You can also freeze banana's. Just remove them from the skin, cut them up and freeze. I do this with no problem because I use them in smoothies all the time.
  • kstrunk1
    kstrunk1 Posts: 462 Member
    For berries, mix one part vinegar to ten parts water. Soak and then rinse completely. Store in the refrigerator. Makes them last up to two weeks. :)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Keep apples separate cause they can spoil other fruit nearby. Bananas don't do well in refriidgerators. When you cut into a fruit or vegetable you don't plan to finish cut from the opposite side of the stem and what remains will keep longer.
  • CameoDouglas
    CameoDouglas Posts: 78 Member
    I usually take it out of its plastic container, wash them, allow them to dry out (excess moisture will rot them faster) and place it in a sealed container (this method applies to things like raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries etc)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Remember...some fruits you can freeze like blueberries, strawberries and sliced peaches.

Freeze them and use them as "ice cubes" in water (or wine!), and eat them when they melt.
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member

Freeze them and use them as "ice cubes" in water (or wine!), and eat them when they melt.

Fantastic idea!
  • PinkyFran
    PinkyFran Posts: 54
    are you serious?