How did you find your Motivation again?

Options
Anyone else ever lose their motivation for a long period of time (like over a year)?

What did you do to get it back?

I've been at the same weight for over a year, but I have over 60 more lbs to lose. What can get my spark going again?

Replies

• Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    No one out there?
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    ThePersnicketyOtter Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Don't be motivated--just do what you KNOW you have to do. Diet wise. Don't worry about exercising because if you're not motivated you won't get much out of it and you'll quit. Once you get into the habit of a healthy diet for a month or two, you'll find yourself to have more energy and WANT to use it, and exercise and motivation will come naturally.

That's the best advice I can give. Also, the more weight I see myself losing, and the more I can tell, the more I want it, and the more I put into it.
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Someone very close to me asked for my help in creating a meal plan for them. It completely renewed my sense of purpose. I've been half assing things lately, and knowing that someone thinks I'm capable of helping them was a huge motivation boost. If I'm going to help someone else, I need to rededicate myself to my own cause!
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    to paraphrase the great Anthonny Robbins - when the pain of doing nothing is more than the pain of getting going. Create a vision for yourself, feel it, taste it, want it, then, GO FOR IT.
  • nmazahearti
    nmazahearti Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You could think about you're health and where you want to be when you're old. You'd probably rather be taking care of yourself than living in a nursing home. Even if you feel fine now, the way you treat your body now will have dramatic effects on your body in the future.

I hope that motivates you. You can go to a nursing home and talk to several residents. It might make you sad, but it could make you want to take care of yourself now.
  • beingmotivated
    Options
    I did Jenny Craig and some other diet last year, stopping around July and just gave up on healthy eating and exercise. I only got back into it last Saturday because a friend was losing weight and she motivated me to start eating healthy and exercise. In the short couple of days, I've just been motivated to stay focused on my goal and not giving up anymore :)
  • bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your typical approach to this whole thing is, but for me it's a combination of eating within cals (although not too strict on WHAT it is I eat) and exercise.

I lost my motivation for a couple of months and just got it back about 6-8 weeks ago. I realised that for me, exercise is key.

If I'm not making the time to exercise, then my motivation to eat well just diminishes, very rapidly! But if I'm getting the exercise in, the endorphins kick in and I'm more in tune with my body - eating for fuel, rather than to satisfy emotional eating urges and cravings for salty/sweet/fatty foods.

This is why I'm terrified now that I have the flu. I've dropped 2.5 kgs (5.5lbs) in the past 5 weeks (since I got my mojo back), but this week I can't even get up the driveway without feeling like passing out, cos my lungs aren't working properly!

I need to make sure that I get back to the gym ASAP, to keep this motivation rolling!!

So yeah, for me it's simple. I've identified my trigger than galvanises my weight-loss motivation (exercise), so I'm trying to make sure I've got my finger on that trigger all the time!

:smile:
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    if you find out let me know mine has been gone for a while. The only reason i do anything is my best friend and i are supposed to run a half marathon in November! Good food choices have gone out the window as well.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Anyone else ever lose their motivation for a long period of time (like over a year)?

What did you do to get it back?

I've been at the same weight for over a year, but I have over 60 more lbs to lose. What can get my spark going again?

I looked in the mirror and decided that I didn't want to be me, the new me, the fat me, the unhappy me, anymore. So I went for a walk. Then I went for a run. Then I started tracking my food. Next thing you know, I'm in full beast mode being an athlete again and loving every second of it.

Go take a good hard look in the mirror and make a decision.
  • jnewsome62
    jnewsome62 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    finding motivation is different for everybody. Try to find a "buddy" on this program and keep each other motivated. I am often encouraged by posts made on here by other people. And, sometimes it is just sheer will power to do whatever you know you need to do. After I exercise or walk the fact that I always feel better is what motivates me. Good luck- we all have less motivated days.
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I actually gained weight after having my now 4 month old. I'm 60 pounds overweight and tired of feeling fat and tired.
    I've started cleaning my diet. It's better, but has room for improvement. Now I'm going to find time to exercise even if it's just 30 minutes a day.
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I saw my fat self in the mirror, and the skinnier clothes I bought were getting too tight and I was about to have to go back to my old sizes. NOT FRIGGIN' HAPPENING!
  • jayhawkX
    jayhawkX Posts: 48
    Options
    Wonderful topic.

I actually had a little stomach bug, nothing major, that kept my appetite in check for a couple weeks and I lost like 20 or 30 pounds and that made me want to keep it going. I've been going strong ever since, granted it has not been that long.

I kick myself in the butt all the time for gaining all the weight that I lost back, and then some. It took me a while and several tries to get my motivation back but this time seems like it will stick. The first time I lost 187 pounds it was motivated by a severe depression oddly enough.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    A sexy young man in uniform. He flirted, I giggled. I exercised...LMAO
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I lost my motivation for about a year! maybe a little over a year! I met my husband and then we got married. I turned thirty in April and realized that I had gained 20 pounds back! :noway: So I decided I had to get serious again. I'm almost done with the couch to 5k program.!! So I'm running again, and eating healthy, and not being hungry. I almost thought I had forgotten how to lose weight, but then the weight started coming off again. I think that's the biggest motivator.. Getting up and just doing it, cause you know you feel great afterwards. :drinker:
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I didn't use it for a year, but I did lose for a few months I think what got me was I got pissed off at my doctor. She seemed to be throwing shade on my endeavors to eat right and exercise. It annoyed me when she didn't seem to be listening to me and instead offered me both a liquid diet and GPS. First I switched doctors then I got myself back on track because I know with a little bit of effort I can do this.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    to paraphrase the great Anthonny Robbins - when the pain of doing nothing is more than the pain of getting going. Create a vision for yourself, feel it, taste it, want it, then, GO FOR IT.
    We either have that drive or need to find a way to ignite it.

To light that fire, be honest, and answer for yourself:
    Why do I want to be healthy and fit? Discover the real answer, and attach great pleasure to that as you set your goals.
    Feel and experience that joy when you think of being healthy and fit.

And then ask yourself why do you NOT want to be fat?
    Connect with that reason burning pain that you can really feel every time you think about being fat.

This is the key to internal motivation.
    Few people can actually do this which is why most people fail in their efforts over and over.
    Take the time to do this, and you'll touch off a powder keg of determination and drive.
    Sure, you may have challenges; we all do, but you'll keep punching and reach your goals.

All Is Possible!
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options

I looked in the mirror and decided that I didn't want to be me, the new me, the fat me, the unhappy me, anymore. So I went for a walk. Then I went for a run. Then I started tracking my food. Next thing you know, I'm in full beast mode being an athlete again and loving every second of it.

Go take a good hard look in the mirror and make a decision.

Love this!!
  • sgoessling
    sgoessling Posts: 119
    Options
    Lower your goal, do 10 lbs at a time. Do what you are doing now and post!! Add lots of friends and do MFP status updates regularly. Start small. Im currently about to start a 100 day challenge where all you do is drink as much water as you can and work out just 15 mins a day! Start logging your food, even if you aren't trying to watch your calories or your not working out. Try new work outs! promise yourself to just take a 10 minute walk once a day. Hope any of this help! Be easy on yourself! You have accomplished so much!
  • nmazahearti
    nmazahearti Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I wish this was Facebook and I could "like" this. You're funny!

Wait... I don't know how to reply to a person. This was meant for the lady who said the thing about the guy in the uniform. Haha.