Chia Seeds

I read a blub in an article about how Chia seeds are an ancient superfood. They expand 16 times in your belly to help you feel full, are a great source of Omegas, and high in Fiber. They have about 60 calories per Tablespoon.

So I bought a bag of organic Chia seeds at GNC today... along with a new protein powder jug. Added them to an almond milk, banana, protein powder smoothie.... and most of them clumped at the bottom of my blends ** which is an awesome blender usually... Ninja triple blade awesomeness **.

The ones that did incorporate into the delicious smoothies were like raspberry seeds... which are good in a raspberry smoothie, but kind of weird in chocolate almond. Tomorrow I'll try them in a berry smoothie.

Okay friends... lay it on me... how do you use Chia seeds? Thoughts, tips, ideas?

Replies

• dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    I have a VitaMix and never had a problem with them clumping. Don't know much about Ninja.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    I usually put a tablespoon in my blender bottle with some water and protein powder, let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours, and drink after a workout. The chia seeds expand and a bit and are almost like tapioca pearls.

I also use them in overnight oats, and sometimes just sprinkled on yogurt.

I've used them as egg replacer in baked goods too - one tablespoon ground chia + three tablespoons water = one egg (after sitting for 5-10 mins and becoming gooey)
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    I used to eat them from a bowl. Took me a good hour to eat a few tablespoons so definitely got my money's worth there. Sadly chia seeds stuck in teeth = very unkempt look. Not too sure all these amazing health claims are worth the effort, tbh.
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Bump. Curious to hear any good suggestions on how to use these...
  • jennyredfern
    jennyredfern Posts: 94 Member
    Lots of good ideas... totally going to try them ALL out... expect the yogurt... cutting dairy right now.

A Thousand Thank Yous! :)
    I usually put a tablespoon in my blender bottle with some water and protein powder, let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours, and drink after a workout. The chia seeds expand and a bit and are almost like tapioca pearls.

I also use them in overnight oats, and sometimes just sprinkled on yogurt.

I've used them as egg replacer in baked goods too - one tablespoon ground chia + three tablespoons water = one egg (after sitting for 5-10 mins and becoming gooey)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    I like to mix with a small amount of coconut or almond milk, chocolate protein powder, and mint extract for a chocolate mint pudding.
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    I mix Chia seeds into my quinoa for the week :)
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    I put mines on my greek yogurt.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    I put them in my coffee. And the other evening I put some in little protein crustless cheesecake cupcakes. They were beautiful and delicious!
    I think the main point of chia seeds from what I read about them is that they help keep your hydrated. They do expand (I read only 9 times but that's besides the point.) They are hydrophilic which means they hold the water and it is extremely hard to remove the water once they soak it up. So they carry the water through your entire system, thus helping to hydrate from the time they go into the time the go out. I also read that native american's would take 1 tsp with them when they were doing turquoise runs from nevada area to california coast, which I imagine was to help keep them hydrated on their run.
    Also, another great way to use them are to put them in a fruit juice. I had them in a mango lemonade and they added such great texture. Another thing I read about them was that, a drink that was made with them from when they were first being used was water, chia seeds, honey or agave, and fresh lime juice. I haven't tried this but it sounds refreshing!

Edit to add: I also put them in protein bars that I made, before I even read anything about them. I liked the results
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    soak them in water so they form a gel and just take them by the teaspoonful before each meal, feel fuller and eat less.

I haven't gotten my hands on any yet but I had an aunt in town who ate them...when she told me about them all I could think about was ch-ch-ch-chia????
  • wifey826
    wifey826 Posts: 26 Member
    Aaaah, so they DO work??? I've been wanting to try these for about 6 months now... I'm glad I finally found a product that actually get's good reviews! So, how much do they curb your appetite? You don't forget to eat, do you?? LOL:laugh:
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Chia Bread.. The absolute best in the world. Great taste, flavour, texture.
  • jennyredfern
    Ohh... totally yummy sounding... doing this! I think I'll try vanilla almond pudding tomorrow!
    I like to mix with a small amount of coconut or almond milk, chocolate protein powder, and mint extract for a chocolate mint pudding.
  • jennyredfern
    So many good ideas.. I think I could do the coffee thing! Chia bread... how do you make that? Recipe?

Whoa, Cha Cha Cha Chia... are these the same things I grew on weird little terracotta heads as a kid?!
  • MILFdoesabodyGd
    MILFdoesabodyGd Posts: 347 Member
    they also promote colon health and aid in digestion, thus making you feel less bloat.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    so, would one feel fuller if they expand in your gut or if they are consumed post expansion?
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    bumping because I'm curious
  • kristen_lynn
    kristen_lynn Posts: 75 Member
    BUMP!

also, where do you buy them, peeps? i looked at my local whole foods today, no dice.
  • I needed a little extra boost to my fiber intake without more carbs. I just add a tsp to my chocolate protein powder when I put it in the shaker. Shake it and let it sit about 20 minutes. I'm big on texture, so it was weird at first, but now I like it. I think it would be yummy in a poppy seed-like cake. :-)
  • Hi you have to grind the chia seeds if you buy them whole, or you can buy them in powder form at vitacost.com. Powder is much better for smoothies. Use the seeds in salads, etc. Hope this helps.