BMI says I'm obese!.....

Options
olee67
olee67 Posts: 208 Member
............... and so is Fabio!

Just wanted to remind everyone, no matter where you read them or what they mean, you can't always go by the numbers. You're clothes getting "bigger," random people checking you out, the belt that is suddenly stretched out, underwear that stops shrinking in the drier..... Those things are real, and, are small victories that lead to the big win... or...loss (of weight, inches, bad habits, etc).

Keep at it!

Replies

• mtmom1012
    mtmom1012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    :happy: Thanks for that!
    KT
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Love how you turned a negative into a positive! :) thanks for sharing.
  • olee67
    Options
    bump
  • dmf711
    dmf711 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Love it! Thanks, friend :)
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. My BMI says I'm obese as well. But I've gone from a size 14 to a size 8 and lost only about 16 lbs. I think I look great in my clothes. I feel strong and my endurance has increased by leaps and bounds.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I also track progress with bodyfat. BMI is not the whole picture, and the scale can lie as badly as the man in the mirror.
    You can check here for free: http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
    I like this method, because it is easy to take and the results are consistant.
    Some complain that it gives too high a ready.
    SOLUTION: Subtract -5% and go with that number.
    The bottom line is that we have something definitive to track progress.
    This is it.
    Good Luck!
  • vegasmari
    vegasmari Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    AGREE! i have to tell myself not to be so obsessed with the scale. if i have to buy all new clothes because what i have is too big, then i've succeeded.

Nice Post!!!
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options
    My health teacher pointed this out when we all took our BMI's in high school. He said that most fit professional athletes' BMI's would say that they're morbidly obese, but they're obviously not. I forget the reason why, though.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    Last time I was at the Dr (about 2 days before the pic in my main image) I was weighed as overweight for my height. My dr looked at the weight in my chart, and asked if it was correct. He said I look "very tiny to weigh that much." I told him I'm very muscular, and his response was "huh." LOL

BMI is not the most accurate measure of body fat. It works both ways though, many people with "healthy" BMI's have a dangerously high percentage of body fat.

Okay, I will stop now, because I can go on and on with this topic. Thanks for sharing, and proving once again that BMI doesn't know it all. :)
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    People with a lot of muscle, like athletes, don't really fit into the chart very well. But BMI charts are an okay approximation for more typical people like me. The chart says I'm overweight, and dang if it isn't right.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • questiontheanswers
    questiontheanswers Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Great reminder and well said. It's the little things that all add up. Put on a shirt today that used to cut funny at the hips and ride up - no longer! It fits perfectly. My workout pants are starting to get a little too loose for comfort since I work out in a class setting. :D The changes you notice in your body mean much more than any numbers. I'm marking this to come back to later when I need to reset my perspective.
  • olee67
    Options
    Ray Lewis is "obese" as well. Hahahahaha!
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder!!! It definately helps with the motivation!!!
  • emily406
    emily406 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love this! What a great reminder! :)
  • Miribg
    Miribg Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • Kipperdog123
    Options
    Thanks for saying this. I am too considered "obese", soon to be in the "overweight" category, and I think I look just fine. The inches keep coming off, and the weight on the scale is too, slowly.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    hahahahahahahaha thank you.
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    mine says I'm obese too...blah blah!!

My husband's says he is overweight also...he is 5"11 and weighs 190 and is very muscular. My work does biometric screenings to keep your health insurance cost down and the lady laughed when she seen the chart said he was overweight.

It's just a number :) Thanks for this!
  • SorchaEilis
    SorchaEilis Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I also track progress with bodyfat. BMI is not the whole picture, and the scale can lie as badly as the man in the mirror.
    You can check here for free: http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html
    I like this method, because it is easy to take and the results are consistant.
    Some complain that it gives too high a ready.
    SOLUTION: Subtract -5% and go with that number.
    The bottom line is that we have something definitive to track progress.
    This is it.
    Good Luck!

I'm not so sure that website calculator is accurate; I had my body fat tested 5 weeks ago in a BodPod (accurate to +/-2%), and unless I've lost 18% bodyfat since then (which I really doubt), then Scientific Psychic is WAY off.