Need a boost

Options
Hey everyone...I've lost 13 lbs since July 19th but not have lost anything in last 11 days. I've not gone over my 1200 calories and have stepped up my excercise a bit. One extra lap during my nightly walk. I've heard that this sometimes happens but I have to be honest it's kind of depressing. A few times i've thought why am I bothering when people are enjoyoing chocolate all around me! Does anyone have any ideas how long you can stay at a plateau like this? I still have 33 pounds to lose to get to my goal. Don't get me wrong I'm happy to have lost the 13 and I feel better already and thats what is most important to me...not how thin I'm gonna be but how healthy!!! Everytime I read a story on here that someone has lost some weight I think how healthy we're all getting! One less case of diabetes or heart disease...that's what makes this site so awesome. I'm proud of us all!

Replies

• jasip7
    jasip7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone...I've lost 13 lbs since July 19th but not have lost anything in last 11 days. I've not gone over my 1200 calories and have stepped up my excercise a bit. One extra lap during my nightly walk. I've heard that this sometimes happens but I have to be honest it's kind of depressing. A few times i've thought why am I bothering when people are enjoyoing chocolate all around me! Does anyone have any ideas how long you can stay at a plateau like this? I still have 33 pounds to lose to get to my goal. Don't get me wrong I'm happy to have lost the 13 and I feel better already and thats what is most important to me...not how thin I'm gonna be but how healthy!!! Everytime I read a story on here that someone has lost some weight I think how healthy we're all getting! One less case of diabetes or heart disease...that's what makes this site so awesome. I'm proud of us all!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on the 13 pounds. I'm nearing my goal weight (80 lbs lost) and hit several plateaus along the way. The absolute right thing to do is to focus on your health. Your body could be adjusting to its new self.

For me, I've had to step up my workouts (a lot) at least for a few weeks to bust through to the next level.

My other technique, which works for me, but maybe not for everyone, is to have a "cheat day" every few weeks or once a month. This seems to bump my metabolism. I have no scientific anything for why this works for me, and maybe it's just that I feel less deprived.

The other trick that helped me break through my last plateau (10 pounds away from the goal...ouch!) was to spend three days eating nothing but fruits, nuts and vegetables in their raw form. You have to eat a ton to get to your "daily goal", so you feel like you're binging instead of dieting, but it really kicked me into gear.

And, one last bit of advice. I spent an entire month about halfway through my journey not weighing myself at all. This was really, really hard, but helped me to focus on all the other reasons I was treating myself better!
  • jasip7
    jasip7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wow...way to go viviakay congratulations on nearing your goal. And thanks for your suggestions...someone I work with suggested a day off once in a while. I have to admit that it kinda scares me...but I think that I'll give it a try....I'll keep you posted how it goes.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    My cheat days used to be really crazy irresponsible binge days. Now I find that one or two "naughty things" do the job. It was scary for me at first, but I schedule it just like my workouts and the rest of my life.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    viviakay and jasip7,

viviakay, those are some of the best weight loss stories I've EVER heard. Excellent. Hmm, cheat days: naughty, now we're talking! We can't take ourselves too seriously! And you are a huge inspiration to us!

Thanks!!!!!!!

jasip7, as I've seen people say on this site - many times - plateaus are common, so expect them! And, it's a numbers game. Keep at it, it works.

Cheryl
  • gousnr
    Options
    Back in April one of the ladies I work with went on a trip to Las Vegas. She brought me a bag of M&M's from the M&M store. I have to tell you I finished the last two M&Ms a few days ago. I was so proud of myself. I limited myself to 2-5 a day. That gave me my cheat day (which was ever day) and I still felt like I was getting my chocolate fix. But now I am out of M&M's and it's depressing.

I have a bag of PayDay candy bars in my desk (little 80 calorie kind). My goal is to make them last until Thanksgiving. That's about 1 per week.

I made an obnoxious chart for work (I'm a very analytical person). I log in ever single day with my weight (at 5 am, in the bathroom, after going potty, nekked), I track the calories from this website, my steps from the day. All this data makes charts based on my goal. I'm starting to print the chart once a week and hang it on my office wall. This gives me something for my co-workers to see (and comment on). I figure they helped me make it through my Masters degree they can help me make it back to the regular me.... :-)
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I always do a cheat day. About once a week or maybe every two weeks when I am really watching my diet. I find that focusing on a lifestyle change helps keep me in the right frame of mind because, this isn't a diet it's a lifestyle. Being made aware of the calorie count of the food choices you make will help you eventually pull away from a daily diary and be more healthful in every day food choices. Also, you can train your tastebuds to like anything... I mean that. I have found in certain times of my life when I really watch what I eat and add veggies I will start to crave a big salad or some green peppers with a little rice vinegar, tomatoes and mozz.. anyway, you get the drift.

Enjoy your food just remember we are all eating to live, not living to eat.
  • wardogg
    Options
    WTG on your loss!!. Have you adjusted your calorie intake for you new weight. You may be eating enough to sustain your current weight and may have to trim a few more calories to help continue weight loss. I'm no expert by any means....just a thought.