I had a mental breakthrough

Options
You know the difference between "knowing something academically" and "really getting it?"
Well I just had that happen to me. I'm fairly intelligent and I know what I need to do to lose weight in a healthy way, but I've really been stuggling all summer. After losing a little over 20lbs and breaking the 200lb barrier (back in the begining of the summer) I have fluctuated up and down since then in a window of about 3 1/2 lbs. You can imagine how much it sucks to finally be in the 190s and then see the scale say 200.5 again! ugh. I was in a funk. So for the past few days I've been repeating the same mantra about getting back on track, blah blah blah. But I haven't really changed anything. Until today. And although this was a simple thing that happened, it was pretty profound:
Our department is combining with another dept and we rolled out the welcome mat today - meaning there were a ton of donuts, pastries, all my trigger foods. I have walked back and forth past those trays of illicit goodies tempting me all day long! I finally walked past it and thought you know, I want to be a "medium" more than I want one of those pastries. and in that instant I didn't just say the words - I really, really got it! I DO really want to be a size M much more than I want any of those sweets! I can't tell you how many times I've said things like that before (usually followed by "but a small one won't hurt") but never really meant it. never really FELT it. but today I GET IT! and now, really, those sugary doughy balls of yumminess seem just ...well powerless over me. I could care less - frankly they could put them on my desk and I know I wouldn't be tempted. Will I never crave sweets again? HA! - will I never indulge again? Double HA (that's ha ha if you're counting :wink: )! But I know that I AM back on track now! I got it.

Replies

• stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    This sounds like a success story to me! That's awesome!
  • mstanley
    mstanley Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    That's great! I'm working on getting back on track again myself. I'm a teacher, and today my kids brought cupcakes to raise money for homecoming. I was so proud of myself because they actually were on my desk in front of me all morning and I never touched them! YAY for getting back on track! Congrats to us both!:happy:
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    That's huge!! It's a great thing! And it makes all the difference!
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    that's just fantastic!!! Your mindset is 90% of your future success. Great mantra to live by
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    You know the difference between "knowing something academically" and "really getting it?"
    Well I just had that happen to me. I'm fairly intelligent and I know what I need to do to lose weight in a healthy way, but I've really been stuggling all summer. After losing a little over 20lbs and breaking the 200lb barrier (back in the begining of the summer) I have fluctuated up and down since then in a window of about 3 1/2 lbs. You can imagine how much it sucks to finally be in the 190s and then see the scale say 200.5 again! ugh. I was in a funk. So for the past few days I've been repeating the same mantra about getting back on track, blah blah blah. But I haven't really changed anything. Until today. And although this was a simple thing that happened, it was pretty profound:
    Our department is combining with another dept and we rolled out the welcome mat today - meaning there were a ton of donuts, pastries, all my trigger foods. I have walked back and forth past those trays of illicit goodies tempting me all day long! I finally walked past it and thought you know, I want to be a "medium" more than I want one of those pastries. and in that instant I didn't just say the words - I really, really got it! I DO really want to be a size M much more than I want any of those sweets! I can't tell you how many times I've said things like that before (usually followed by "but a small one won't hurt") but never really meant it. never really FELT it. but today I GET IT! and now, really, those sugary doughy balls of yumminess seem just ...well powerless over me. I could care less - frankly they could put them on my desk and I know I wouldn't be tempted. Will I never crave sweets again? HA! - will I never indulge again? Double HA (that's ha ha if you're counting :wink: )! But I know that I AM back on track now! I got it.

FANTABULOUS!!!
    Oh, I needed to hear your story! Thanks for posting!!!! :drinker:
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    those darn 'funks'...i hate when that happens....don't ever give up on you! and the most powerful thing you will ever have in life is c-h-o-i-c-e! yippy for you! :flowerforyou:
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options

FANTABULOUS!!!
    Oh, I needed to hear your story! Thanks for posting!!!! :drinker:

Thanks! Isn't that the great thing about MFP? when you need to hear something or know that someone is going through what you're going through, you can find it here!

:flowerforyou: MFP rocks!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :happy: I so know exactly what you mean about knowing something in my head and really feeling it 'in my gut' :laugh: i am so happy for you, I think I would have told those crummy "goodies" HA to their faces. Then everyone would think that I was nuts for sure:ohwell:
  • klybarger
    klybarger Posts: 214
    Options
    Congratulations! This should be on the success stories thread because that is really awesome. We are all working to be where you are at as far as conquering our attitude about food. You'll be in that size M in no time now!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

Remeinds me of a saying I'd heard in a Weight Watchers meeting: "Nothing tastes as good as medium feels!" :flowerforyou:
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    :happy: I so know exactly what you mean about knowing something in my head and really feeling it 'in my gut' :laugh: i am so happy for you, I think I would have told those crummy "goodies" HA to their faces. Then everyone would think that I was nuts for sure:ohwell:

I don't worry about anyone thinking I'm crazy around here. I'm pretty sure they all think I have turret syndrome anyway.:ohwell: