Woman Seeking....

Options
...myself. For fifty years i have been daughter, sister, wife, mother and have loved each of those roles. Something they all have in common? someone's needs were answered before my own. My daughters are almost grown, and now i am ready to grow. i have begun this marathon countless times before, but i allowed everything to interrupt it. My husband of 28 years is still a great athlete and my girls are in incredible shape. i want to be able to keep up with them. Hell, i just want to be up to speed! :happy:
i am a much better teacher than doer. but, it ends today. who's with me?

no...seriously...i need companions, sounding boards, etc. to share ideas, setbacks and successes.

Replies

• HEYRED64
    HEYRED64 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi... I just joined last week. I just had my 7th baby and need to get back in shape. It's tough having to take care of everyone elses needs, yours are always last. But I decided to put me first for a while and get in shape and be healthy for my whole family. I could use any support.
  • lorettaasmith
    lorettaasmith Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I hear you! I am 49 and my kids are almost grown (14, 17 and 19). Having been a single parent for a long time, I haven't taken much time for me! This is it! Welcome to the journey. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • halliedoll
    halliedoll Posts: 171
    Options
    Good for you girl, great attitude. You can do it :]
  • katies2boys
    katies2boys Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome! :happy:

I'm new as well, I just joined on Monday. I definitely hear what your saying, and congratulations on taking the time and energy to focus on yourself. I'm totally with you.
  • vampire1969
    Options
    I'm with you!! I can so relate to everything you've said minus the husband. LOL I'm divorced almost 15 years so being a single mom and all the ft things that come with that definitely seem to catch up. I've NEVER been thin a day in my life so I really can't say I'd like to get back to any particular weight and I've battled this forever. I never really could put my finger on a particular willingness to do anything although I've longed to be thin. Well, now that I am 42, diabetic and miserable, this is it! I'm done!! My children are such an inspiration to me and have always been my cheerleaders no matter what, but I now have a new cheerleader. My sweetie and I have been together for 2 years and although he loves me just the way I am, he wants me to be healthy and I have now found that spark within me to be healthy #1 for ME, but also for my children and my sweetheart. Please feel free to add me as a friend and together we will walk this walk together! :)
  • luvmyleo
    luvmyleo Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I get where you are coming from! I was a stay at home mom for a long time and recently went back to work. It was really eye opening- I never realized how much I put everyone's needs above my own consistently. It took going to work outside of the home to sort of give me a wee bit of distance and perspective.
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've been around for a couple of months~ but I've been the daughter that takes care of her parents, the sister that takes care of a brother and his business and/or taxes~ the wife that takes care of the house and now an evil step-mother~

I gained 25 pounds in one year three years ago because of all of the stress- now it's time for ME!

I love my friends here and always willing to give support- feel free to add me...
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I can relate! It wasn't until recently that I realized the more I did and said yes to everyone else the more I was saying no to my own needs and wants. That finally clicked and I jumped on this site to help me stay more accountable.

Feel free to add me if you want!
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah girl! Okay so I'm 26 and childless and thus can hardly relate to being a mom but I put my job and other people ahead of myself for so long. It all stopped after I was fired and dumped in the course of 2 days and I was left with nothing but the shell of what living like that had turned me into. After hitting bottom I joined Curves and what a positive change it has made! I love going there and seeing all the women putting themselves first if only for that 1/2 hour a day. We all only have this one life and it's yours to live. Other people will be understanding that you're focusing on you, if not you shouldn't have them in your life :)
    Now I'm at a point where I'm my first priority. A man is the last thing I want or need which is a refreshing change. I'm improving myself and getting genuinly happy with myself. Just enjoying being me.
  • Heatherjg0419
    Heatherjg0419 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm with you!!! It's hard to give yourself time and permission to care for yourself, but you have to... we have to! Feel free to add me!
  • irish9229
    irish9229 Posts: 24
    Options
    I hear ya sistah!
    I have a frequently travelling husband and 3 kids who are still pretty young (11, 9 and 5). My middle child has autism so I find that I am balancing everything for my family all the time and end up neglecting me.

I feel like I am better managing my health with the help of MFP therefore managing my life better!