Is it exercise?

Options
I found that the one thing I do that wears me out and I enjoy is working in the yard. I probably spend 5-7 hrs per week in the yard during growing season. It isn't really exercise but when you're sweating like a fool and enjoy it, you must be able to quantify it somehow.

Replies

• weefreemen
    weefreemen Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Hiya, gardening is definitely exercise, in fact it can be damn hard graft sometimes! If you go into the exercise section and look for exercises under the cardio section you will find gardening is listed. Enjoy your garden
  • milzu
    milzu Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Pulling weeds = nature's deadlift
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah, gardening is exercise! I love those productive workouts and nothing is better than working up a sweat for something as worthwhile as having a nice lawn or some home-grown flowers or veggies :)
  • JGunccRugby
    Options
    I agree with all of you. I met with a fitness person and I ask because she wanted me to get 300 mins per week and I explained that I probably het that much per week working in the yard so she asked for 150 of formal and the balance in the yard.

I see it as harder than a formal regiment because I lift heavy materials and usually work up a much better sweat. I understand her point but hate exercising b/c in my mind I rarely have time for it. I sit on the board for several community groups and work long hours. Most days I'm up by6, on a bus by 7, work until 5, then have some sort of meeting until 730-8 pm. I much prefer spending my time being productive.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Pulling weeds = nature's deadlift

ROFLMAO! I second this...

For gardening, I wear my HRM simply for the fact I want to get a close-to accurate picture on the calorie burn reading....
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    IMO, yes and no. It is physical activity so in that sense, yes, you are exercising. Is it something I would log as exercise, no. If you are calculating your TDEE properly, daily activities such as housework, yard work, gardening, what you do on your job, are all taken into account. If you try to deduct these activities from your calorie intake by logging them as exercise, whether by guessing, using a ftibit, etc., then you are essentially counting them twice. If you are then eating back those calories, and wondering why you are not losing, well there you go.

I know people will disagree with this because people really want to believe they can have that piece of cake because they walked their dog or pushed the kid's stroller, and are still under their allotted calorie goal, but it is just not the case. Again, if you used the correct daily activity level when calculating your TDEE.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I know people will disagree with this because people really want to believe they can have that piece of cake because they walked their dog or pushed the kid's stroller, and are still under their allotted calorie goal, but it is just not the case. Again, if you used the correct daily activity level when calculating your TDEE.

ummmm, sorry to tell you but know one here ever said they were looking for that piece of cake...
  • bsharrah
    bsharrah Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    For gardening, I wear my HRM simply for the fact I want to get a close-to accurate picture on the calorie burn reading....

Then you are using your hrm incorrectly and not getting an accurate picture. They will not accurately calculate calories when used this way.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/fitness/basics/difference-between-exercise-and-physical-activity.aspx

"Increasing the amount of physical activity in your everyday life is a good start — like parking a few blocks from your destination to get in some walking. But to really achieve fitness goals, you’ll want to incorporate structured, vigorous activities into your schedule to help you attain even more of your fitness and health goals."
  • JGunccRugby
    Options
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/fitness/basics/difference-between-exercise-and-physical-activity.aspx

"Increasing the amount of physical activity in your everyday life is a good start — like parking a few blocks from your destination to get in some walking. But to really achieve fitness goals, you’ll want to incorporate structured, vigorous activities into your schedule to help you attain even more of your fitness and health goals."

I already walk 3-4 books/day whether I drive to work or take the bus. The one thing I refuse to do is climb4 flights of stairs every time I come in the building. Even if I say yes, the knees sy NO!