doing enough for weight loss?

Options
I keep wondering if I am burning enough calories to be making a difference in my weight loss. I could use someones thoughts.
I usually workout between 30 & 40 mins a day and burn 300 to 365 calories a day. I am 5'7 & 190 lbs. eating 1520 calories at day plus workout calories. Is that enough??

Replies

• wranglerwomen
    wranglerwomen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    bump
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Considering you don't really NEED to exercise to lose weight, I think that whatever you do will be great as long as you keep within your calories for eating. Exercise does speed the weight loss in some people, and it will make you look and feel better in the long run (if you don't over do it and hurt yourself).

Hope you get more responses. Good luck.
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    Difficult to say, without seeing your diary (you can open it to others so we can see it... if you're comfortable with that).

I'd say your calorie intake looks good. Your BMR is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 1650, so don't eat below that for too long (your BMR will also change as you loose weight). If you're in the early stages of weight loss, you could see some rapid results if you ate 1300-1400. It might not be wise to do that for more than a few weeks though. (see this thread for lots... maybe too much info: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12) Also, don't feel like you HAVE TO eat back all your exercise cals. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

If your 30-40 min workouts often include resistance training, your chances of losing are even better.

"burning enough calories" isn't necessarily the way to "make a difference" in weight loss. It's about creating a WEEKLY calorie deficit... a long term plan of consuming less than you're burning, which can be done through both diet and exercise.
  • wranglerwomen
    Options
    thanks for the advice! i will open my food diary if that helps
  • wranglerwomen
    Options
    bump
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Options
    I'll go through your diary and send you a PM ;)