Morning workouts

Options
For those of you who workout in the morning. How do you get past the early morning 'just woke up, groggy and stiff'? I would LOVE to workout in the mornings but have a hard time getting past that especially in the winter when it's cold. :grumble: I know I have used the 'siff' and 'cold' excuse before to not workout. I want to find solutions and get over my excuses! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks all!! :drinker:

Replies

• Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    The way I get it done is I just tell myself the sooner I start, the sooner I will get done. Also, it seems like when I get 10-15 minutes in, I'm not dreading it anymore. You just have to tell yourself that's the worst part to get through, and 10 minutes isn't long at all... But after about 5 minutes the tiredness wears off. I also eat something small to wake myself up a little and get my metabolism going. But mostly just knocking out a workout for the day motivates me enough to do it, and it's the only time I really have to work out. Hope this helps!
  • silvertears
    silvertears Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I find that it actually helps me to wake up. I get up at 4am (no joke) and go to the gym. I'm much more energetic on days I go versus days I don't go. I thought I never could do it, but once I got into it, it's not bad at all.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I go to classes at the gym and also make appointments with people to meet them places. Then I have no choice. If it's something where I have no set time to start, then I always skip it in favor of more sleep.

I did this for a while before I decided that working out in the mornings mostly doesn't work for me though. :laugh: I was getting up at 5am and going to bed at midnight! This is because I also have evening workouts and, by the time I got home, caught up on email, ate dinner, etc. it was just too late at night.

I still do morning workouts on Wed., Sat and Sun. mornings but my Sat. morning workout starts at 9am and my Sun. morning one is at 10am. That helps a lot.
  • shinybonnie
    Options
    For me, I think, "oh well, I better get this *kitten* over with." haha! ya, not the most motivational, huh? Well, also when I wake up at like 7:30, and I know my baby is going to be up in a half an hour or so, there is no point in going back to sleep, I think, "Oh well, I have nothing else to do and it's pointless to go back to sleep..." hehehe that's not too motivational either, huh?

When it's cold, again my thoughts are mostly "better get this *kitten* over with and then I can get back in the warm and snug."
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem of getting up in the mornings. I need to get up at 5am and get it over with. I work 7-5 and by the time I get off work i'm too exhausted to even think about working out and i have to cook dinner and all that jazz. I'm just so sleepy in the mornings! darn that snooze button! They need to make alarm clock without them! I need an alarm clock that refuses to turn off!
  • hkjung
    hkjung Posts: 6
    Options
    Even though I have parking spot in my apartment, I park on the street.
    If I don't wake up at 7:30am I get $35 ticket. lol :laugh: :laugh:
    209715.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • emkay617
    Options
    Do a class at the gym so you don't even have to think! Get all your stuff ready the night before too (workout clothes, work clothes, lunch, etc). or... if you are working out at home do AM YOGA, its geared towards helping you wake up through various stretched and breathing. Also, have fruit right when you wake up, it'll give you energy!
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I try and give myself 10-15 minutes to wake up. The hardest part is getting out of bed. Just get up, brush your teeth and go do something. The first 10 minutes of the workout can be a bit hard, but once you get going, you'll feel great.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    Thanks for the input! It's looking like everybody has a little something different to get their a$$e$ out of bed!!! :laugh: I'm going to try some of the suggestions and figure out what works for me!

Thanks! :drinker: :drinker: