Whats the best muscle rub?

Options
im new and Im 3 weeks into exercise (elliptical) and my calfs are starting to cramp alot since i am working out 5-6 days a week.

I am also having some issues with tennis elbow. Ive been to the docs before, but the arm movement from the elliptical is really aggrevating it, to the point that i cant open bottles, door knobs, ect without pain.

Whats the best muscle rub or treatment for either of these? Im using absorbine jr currently, and of couse, the other treatments such as heat and advil.. any other advice?

Thanks in advance! ;)

Edited to include that my diary is open, and i take a multi vitamin, a potassium pill, i drink TONS of water and im on 10,000 units of vitamin D by prescription every day.

Replies

• Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    All you people working out & no one has sore muscles?? =)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Bio Freeze and good ol' Icy Hot- but I would just be careful that you're not in the arena of overuse injury from ramping up your exercise too quickly. Sore muscles are one thing, but joint and tendon issues can get worse if you continue overstressing them and develop in to more serious problems, and applying a topical analgesic might mask the problem.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Bio Freeze and good ol' Icy Hot- but I would just be careful that you're not in the arena of overuse injury from ramping up your exercise too quickly. Sore muscles are one thing, but joint and tendon issues can get worse if you continue overstressing them and develop in to more serious problems, and applying a topical analgesic might mask the problem.

Thanks! The musle cramp isnt muscle "pain" thats there when i walk.. it just comes and goes. well, a cramp! lol Ill try the Bio Freeze!

The elbow however, is a pain in my..... well. Tonight, i held the stationary bars while i did my run and i have a wrist brace to help immobolize the muscle. (i know, floored me when i went to the ortho for my elbow, and he put me in a wrist brace! but thats what he did! lol) so, i pulled it out & im going to sleep in it a few nights to see if that helps. =)
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried this because I have never had tennis elbow. The guy knows his stuff and his videos have helped me with other problems.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dgbCDtqdlI
  • LeeshaNichole
    LeeshaNichole Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Precise cream by Tylenol works amazing!! It is a little expensive but definitly worth the money!!
  • mnb85
    mnb85 Posts: 3
    Options
    there is a rub/rolley/spray (it comes in many forms) called chrioderm that I got from my chiropractor when nothing else was working and it's AMAZING. I work at a hospital and let one of the nurses use it because her back was killing her, now my whole department is hooked on it! AND, it's not greecy, doesn't stain, doesn't clog pores, it's just AWESOME :)
  • rocksoutforcheese
    Options
    I use blue emu. It works, and isn't menthol-y. It's about the only thing that works when my ankles and shin muscles are killing me.