Going over on certain macros, even when below calories

Options
Hello all!

I have a question about the macros. Most days, I have eaten below my calories (not by a lot, maybe 100-300). I have been trying to eat back my exercise calories. I don't feel deprived, and I am trying to continue to eat more clean foods. Many days I succeed with eating cleaner, some I don't (dinner tonight was Wendy's because the fiance didn't have time to cook dinner).

However, I have noticed that even on days when I eat cleaner, I have a hard time staying within my protein macro. (The days I have eaten out are usually the ones when I exceed fat or sodium). I just wanted to know if I am eating too much protein? I know that it is important, especially because I have been working out more, but I feel like I'm not eating a ton more protein than is normal.

I am opening up my diary so that you can look and tell me what you think. I would appreciate your feedback. And if you see anything else wonky, let me know!

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Going over your protein goal (especially by the amounts you're going over in your diary) won't hurt you in the least. The default MFP settings for protein are very low anyway. Most recommendations range from 1g protein to 1 lb. of lean body mass to 1g per pound of total weight - either of which is significantly higher than MFP.
  • Angylgrrl
    Angylgrrl Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Going over your protein goal (especially by the amounts you're going over in your diary) won't hurt you in the least. The default MFP settings for protein are very low anyway. Most recommendations range from 1g protein to 1 lb. of lean body mass to 1g per pound of total weight - either of which is significantly higher than MFP.

Okay, this makes me feel a bit better. I was seriously wondering how to eat less protein. It's in lots of stuff! Thanks for taking a minute to look at it!
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    How would we know what our lean body mass is?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    How would we know what our lean body mass is?
    First you have to obtain your body fat percentage. There are various ways of doing this, with varying levels of accuracy. Once you know your body fat percentage, multiply your weight by your bodyfat percentage (e.g., if you weigh 200 lbs and are 30% body fat, the result would be 200 x .30 = 60....so 60 lbs. of your body weight is fat and the remaining 140 lbs. is lean body mass.