Soft food diet

Options
I had dental surgery on Monday. Dentist instructed me to eat soft cold meals for a few days and then just keep it soft for about a week, no spices no nuts no seeds...oh and no straw. I thought this would be easy but it is proving me wrong. I could've followed her orders and eaten ice cream, pudding and jello for the first few days but that made my stomach turn to imagine that.

Any ideas? I have lost 4 pounds since Monday which I will not log since it isn't fitness related..just unhealthy related!!!! Yogurt and mash potatoes only can carry me so far. I made brown rice and cream of mushroom yesterday but it just didn't work too well so I put it back in fridge. I am afraid to eat anything gritty like cream of wheat until the stitches come out. I may try refried beans today, but i fear they may be spicy.

Obviously I am not very creative when it comes to food! Oh I can whip up a smoothie but can't drink one without a straw! I am weird like that!

After passing out a couple times I know my body is drained and not holding up very well which will not help with the healing process. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I see everyone is as creative as me!
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I see everyone is as creative as me!

You really need to be patient.... not everyone is up at this time, and some folks might be commuting to work.....

Where you are post-op, you really should discuss this with your dental surgeon.... where you are having problems getting calories in, the dental surgeon is the person you really need to work with...especially when dealing with post op surgery instructions
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I've never had dental surgery where I was not supposed to eat properly for weeks lol. Only had like no eating for the first hour or two, but that's about it.

Just don't do anything that will burn so many calories lol. You will need whatever energy you need to keep yourself going until you are allowed to eat solids and stuff.

You could blend up some chicken breast and make a spreadable chicken pate. Mashed Potatoes are the obvious one. You could also try steaming vegetables until they get soft enough to squash lol.

You will probably be eating the same sort of food until you have finished.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    After a dog bite I had to be on a soft food diet for 5 weeks. I had hundreds of stitches and also couldn't use a straw. I couldn't stand not having meat and I blended my meals. I know it sounds gross to a lot of people but it kept me full. I bought a chopped beef potato put everything in the blender and added a little milk. Then I just ate it with a spoon. You can do that with most meals. I hope you can figure out something that will work.
  • deluda
    deluda Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have been in your situation. I ate soft boiled eggs and kept baby food on hand for the times I didn't feel like being creative in the kitchen. It wasn't the best diet but at least kept me somewhat satisfied.
  • rayvynn5374
    rayvynn5374 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies.I didn't think of the boiled eggs. But baby food did cross my mind. Pulverizing my meals doesn't sound too appetizing but may be the way to go.

They had to take some bones out of my face is the reasoning for prolonged soft foods. I went to be checked up on today and was told it looks like it is healing well despite me passing out and mashing my face against a metal shelf!