People who "used" to have eating disorder, now obese?

Options
Just wondering if there is anyone out there that used to have an eating disorder but now are obese. In other words, it was one way now the other.

I had an eating disorder for approx 7 odd years. I was bulimic and binged and purged. After I stopped, without help mind you...I just packed on the weight. I have gained about 175 lbs within 13 years (sometimes smaller weights, but mainly bigger weights). I am now again trying to lose weight as It is completely unhealthy. But funny enough, I am more confident now than I was when I had my eating disorder. Is there anyone else like me? I always wondered :-)

Thanks, will be interested to hear stories. I want to get out of "this" eating disorder (being over weight and eating badly) and learn how to be "normal" (if that makes sense).

Replies

• Marcillene
    Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I was anorexic when I was in highscool. my girlfriends and I did what we called 'extreme dieting' and worked out constantly. We were only 'allowed' to eat 'clean' and were only 'allowed' to eat during the day (nothing after dark or before) and we only ate every couple days (drinks were to be water or propel).

This lasted for a few years. When I moved away out of state when I was 15, I no longer had those friends, but I had the bad habits. I drank soda and ate chips or snacks like teens do and drank beer. That was it. drank beer and soda everyday and some days wuld still go without eating.

Then when I was 20 I got pregnant. Determind for a healthy baby (And not having any parental or nutritional guidence) I went from eating every few days to eating atleast 3 meals a day. But once I got USE to eating 3 meals a day, my stomach expanded and it was like I could NEVER get enough to eat. I OVERATE myself to being overweight. I used the pregnancy as an excuse afterwards, but I know its effects of an eating disorder that follows you through life.

I now am on day 2 of trying to eat SOMETHING for breakfast. I only eat dinner (sometimes snack. But once I get started snacking, I OVER SNACK. I can't just eat ONE serving of pretzels, it has to be the half the bag or until I aM SICK. And I FEEL like 'i better eat it up now because I don't know when Ill get it again'.

i have digestion issues now, and had to have surgery when I was 17. Had my gall bladder removed, as well as gall stones, and had to have part of my liver ducts cut and clipped.

Here's my stats: 5'9 weigh 171lbs now. Weighed 115-120 in school. After drinking beer ALOT I gained some and got to about 135-140. The week before I had to have a c-section, I weighed 224lbs. When I left the hospital I still weighed like 209. Got down to 168 while my son was 7 months old Nov. 2011. Betweewn Jan. 2012 & March 2012 I got to 193. Began my weighlots journey again and I a, currently 171lbs.

Friend me if you'd like!
  • Marcillene
    Options
    Oh and my sister still is bolimic. She began when she was overweight at 14. She had a baby 4 months before me, and left the hospital weighing LESS than she did before she got pregnant. She gained a total of 13lbs. She is now 19 and still suffering. I wonder, and have the whole time, how long she will do it for.
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Yeah my thing too was I stopped when I became pregnant. It wasn't something I wanted to curse my child with. That, and they were more important to me.

No it doesn't solve the problem. But I am talking about obesity. Not putting on weight to help save your life. There is a difference there. I was never underweight. It was how I stayed where I was and the damage it did to my body. Being cold, I lost teeth, feeling like I was not meant to be on this earth and being the only focus that I was being selfish. I wanted more out of life and to be more than an ED, I wanted to become someone, someone that I loved, not loathed. I am happy I now over came the pitfalls of an eating disorder. I am not happy that I moved to over eating and becoming obese. I think that people with ED need help and fast. If I had gotten better professional help instead of doing it on my own, then it would have been a different story and I think with the councilling you get, it would have made the transition easier.
  • Marcillene
    Options
    I never had counceling for it. But my little sister was in counseling from 14-19 (dropped out few months ago.). For her I guess it HAS to be personal choice to quit, no amount of counseling would make her.
  • healthymission92
    Options
    I think if you now focus on 'health' and not weight it will fall into place. Or perhaps go to a nutritionist?
    I would also take a slow approach and don't try any fad diets. Focus on wholefoods that will benefit your body.
  • Gofigure63
    Options
    As a senior in high school at 5'8, I wouldn't allow myself to get over 100 lbs. I didn't binge, I just didn't eat. I met a guy that took me out to eat regularly and got up to 130 lbs but felt so crappy about myself. I just couldn't feel "right". I had two kids and the weight just packed on. In 2009, I wasn't well and ended up at the emergency room with an irregular heart beat, high blood pressure, and insulin resistance. When did my weight hit 265 and when did I stop looking? Yeah, I had an eating disorder and ended up obese. It's a battle every day now. I like this tool and the posts. Keep posting your progress as will I.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    No, but I saw a woman on a health documentary who is. She went from anorexic to kinda fat. Made me think "really solves the problem" in a sarcastic way, and change the channel.

Wow, rude much?
  • DeckerDoll
    DeckerDoll Posts: 201
    Options
    I never became obese per se but I did become overweight after "recovering" but then relapsed and lost too much again. I'm now a healthy weight...but it is really hard sometimes. I totally feel ya when you say you just wanna get back to normal!!

Everyone has their own journey...best wishes in yours!
  • kcoburn327
    kcoburn327 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I suffered from bulimia for about 2.5 years. Dropped 30 pounds in two montha. My friends has an intervention for me and all that did wae make me work harder to hide it. I got pregnant with my sslon and stopped then after hr was started again, got pregnant wih my daughters and stopped. I still have the feeling a lot and sadly do give into it but not often. I went from 122 to 174. I started Nutrisystem in March 2012 and then started running in May and Insanity at the end of June. I currently weigh 144, my goal is 127. I stopped nutrisystem about two weeks ago. It taught me sool much.

I look at my daughters and get so scared about their self esteem.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I would say that extreme overeating is also an eating disorder, so a person who goes from one extreme to the other is still suffering from disordered eating and desperately needs good therapy. My boyfriend is a psychiatrist and he says that eating disorders are among the most difficult psychiatric illnesses to treat. My heart goes out to people who suffer.
  • Heidi64
    Heidi64 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I can agree with SherryTeach. I use to be underweight for my height, but thought I was the biggest cow. I would forget to eat. I just wasn't hungry. EVER. Even nursing my son, and who knows how that boy got any nutrition, but thankfully it didn't affect him any. Then, I started gaining weight. Packed on 65 pounds in about 5 years. I knew I was heavy, but I didn't have the skewed body vision I had when I was younger. But I do know, I just stopped caring. Didn't move, ate anything and everything. So, that wasn't a good place either. For some reason, MFP clicked for me. I'm definitely more focused on being healthier than losing weight, but the losing is good too. I haven't felt this happy and confident, ever. I wish you all the best of luck on your journeys and hope you get to a happy place as well. Believe me, the world is a great place here!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I used to have ED when I was 18 years old wherein I only ate 150-500cals a day! I dropped lots of weight but I became skinny fat & despite being anorexic, I never had the skin & bones body. Then when I started working, I lived a totally sedentary lifestyle. I went to lots of parties, eat out a lot at bars & restos with my co-workers after work, numerous office treats & binged on 12 bottles of beer at every party. All of these caused me to gain weight. Last 2009, my weight ballooned to 75 kilos or almost 170lbs. (I'm only 5'2") when I was diagnosed with PCOS & type 2 diabetes that classified me as obese on both BMI & body fat%.

Now I'm able to regain my skinniness but I'm in the best shape of my life. Before I was a skinny-fat anorexic but now I'm not. Took me 3 long years to lose those kilos.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    just wanted to say that overeating and binge eating are also eating disorders. someone doesnt just have to anorexic or bulimic to have unhealthy relationships with food
  • sheshe32
    Options
    just wanted to say that overeating and binge eating are also eating disorders. someone doesnt just have to anorexic or bulimic to have unhealthy relationships with food
    Yeah I understand this. I was just trying to explain the best I could. By using that description

Thanks everyone..its interesting to read as I have never really spoken to anyone who has been similar to myself.:flowerforyou:
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I grew up getting called fat by my dad, so I always though I was fat. I was always pretty tall (I'm 5 ft 6 and I have been since I was in 5th grade. So you can imagine that I was very tall for a 5th grader). I always thought I was fat when I wasn't reallly. Maybe a bit chubby but honestly I had an hourglass figure. I hit puberty early and I had a very small waist and a large chest at an age where most of the other girls had no boobs at all. So, I got isolated and picked on. Then my moms boyfriend from when I was 11-14 was coming in my room and watching me sleep and I would wake up to him masturbating (tmi, I know). Anyway, I didn't eat a lot and I skipped a ton of meals. I would skip breakfast, eat a bagel at lunch and then maybe eat dinner. My parents were druggies who ignored me to play online games. They didn't notice or care. It got worse and I was bulimic. My mom noticed and yelled at me for wasting food, that was it. Even not eating I never lost much weight. I got called fat and stuff all the time even at 130-140lbs, nothing insane for someone so tall and curvy.

I got really overweight after I got pregnant. After both pregnancy #1 and #2 I gained over 100lbs each. After #1 I asked to be tested for hypothyroid but I got laughed off and told to eat better and stop drinking soda. I told them I didn't do that, but being young they blew me off. It was after #2 when I had a high risk pregnancy, so a different hospital, I was diagnosed w hypothyroid but I didn't have insurance to keep getting the medicine. I went from 240 to 355 in less than 6 months and couldn't lose a lb to save my life. I got pregnant with #3 and was given the meds I needed and since then I've been able to slowly lose weight and to feel better in about three million ways. I'm less tired and feel less crabby. I don't want to imagine life without my synthroid. But I still have some bad habits.

I sometimes look at my daily goal for calories as a challenge to see how far I can stay under. I lived for several months in 2010 on 2 180cal slimfast shakes a day, nothing more and lose 70lbs. It is tempting to do this after my baby weans because I am so disgusted with myself. People who see me don't see someone who has already lost 40 lbs, they see a fatass they expect to buy doritos and coke who sits on her butt all day. I tihnk technically what I had/have is ednos, because there were elements of anorexia, bulimia and compulsive overeating all balled up in one sack of crazy. That sack being me. To be honest, I think part of me wants to be fat because of my experience with my moms bf. Like, I'm so unattractive I don't have to worry about being raped or anything.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    Now I'm able to regain my skinniness but I'm in the best shape of my life. Before I was a skinny-fat anorexic but now I'm not. Took me 3 long years to lose those kilos.
    However I admit that sometimes it still haunt me especially now that I'm slim once again & I have this unusual fear of gaining even a single gram which is why until now I can't totally quit smoking because of the weight gain effect. They say gaining weight is better than losing your lungs or the benefits far outweighs the weight gain but I don't care. All I care for is my weight.
  • lilmsgaga39
    Options
    Yeah I would starve myself for 7-10 days at a time an would drink outrageous amounts of water. Then after that starving period I would eat like there was no tomoro and then feel terrible about myself and beat myself up about it. and would workout for 5-7hours a day eat nothing again for almost two weeks(except water). It was horrible. My parents used to make fun of me when I was little for being overweight and I would go into this major depression. I used to get made fun of in school as well. I had no support and was depressed through most of my childhood. I ended up moving in with my grandparents(because of how bad my parents were) and she gave me anything and everything and my weight again skyrocketed. Throughout the years ive went on and off with sarving myself.I still don't have great confidence(like at all), but I'm trying to work on it. Growing up being told you are a worthless fat *kitten* over and over again, you start to believe it. I gained a LOT of weight once i started to actually eat again. But like I said I'm really really trying to work on that. I have an amazing boyfriend who tries to help me out all the time and loves me no matter what. I'm becoming a new and better person everyday :)
  • cersela
    cersela Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm 5,8" as an adult my lowest was 117, my heaviest was 320. When I was skinny, I kept telling myself I was fat, when I -was- fat I kept telling myself I wasn't 'that fat.' It took me long time to get comfortable with who I was and just accept that I will always be me no matter how much I compare myself to other people. Self acceptance is the only real way to have a healthy body image.
  • Fatbutfoxy
    Options
    At about age 16 I became obsessed with my "fat" body and food became my enemy. If I sinned and ate a banana I would work out to burn it off. I started going to the gym 3 x a day. In the morning before work, a run at lunchtime and back to the gym for a minimum of two classes. From there I started to purge after meals. I got down to 49 kgs, my doctor was telling me Iwas underweight but all I could see was FAT! Now I have just hit 40 years oldand I still have an unhealthy obsession with my weight. I hate to admit it but Im *eek squirm* 90kgs. The weird thing is I dont hate my body as much as I did when I was skinny although in reality I am a heifer! Its great to see there are so many people who have similar stories to mine.
  • sheshe32
    Options
    I grew up getting called fat by my dad, so I always though I was fat. I was always pretty tall (I'm 5 ft 6 and I have been since I was in 5th grade. So you can imagine that I was very tall for a 5th grader). I always thought I was fat when I wasn't reallly. Maybe a bit chubby but honestly I had an hourglass figure. I hit puberty early and I had a very small waist and a large chest at an age where most of the other girls had no boobs at all. So, I got isolated and picked on. Then my moms boyfriend from when I was 11-14 was coming in my room and watching me sleep and I would wake up to him masturbating (tmi, I know). Anyway, I didn't eat a lot and I skipped a ton of meals. I would skip breakfast, eat a bagel at lunch and then maybe eat dinner. My parents were druggies who ignored me to play online games. They didn't notice or care. It got worse and I was bulimic. My mom noticed and yelled at me for wasting food, that was it. Even not eating I never lost much weight. I got called fat and stuff all the time even at 130-140lbs, nothing insane for someone so tall and curvy.

I got really overweight after I got pregnant. After both pregnancy #1 and #2 I gained over 100lbs each. After #1 I asked to be tested for hypothyroid but I got laughed off and told to eat better and stop drinking soda. I told them I didn't do that, but being young they blew me off. It was after #2 when I had a high risk pregnancy, so a different hospital, I was diagnosed w hypothyroid but I didn't have insurance to keep getting the medicine. I went from 240 to 355 in less than 6 months and couldn't lose a lb to save my life. I got pregnant with #3 and was given the meds I needed and since then I've been able to slowly lose weight and to feel better in about three million ways. I'm less tired and feel less crabby. I don't want to imagine life without my synthroid. But I still have some bad habits.

I sometimes look at my daily goal for calories as a challenge to see how far I can stay under. I lived for several months in 2010 on 2 180cal slimfast shakes a day, nothing more and lose 70lbs. It is tempting to do this after my baby weans because I am so disgusted with myself. People who see me don't see someone who has already lost 40 lbs, they see a fatass they expect to buy doritos and coke who sits on her butt all day. I tihnk technically what I had/have is ednos, because there were elements of anorexia, bulimia and compulsive overeating all balled up in one sack of crazy. That sack being me. To be honest, I think part of me wants to be fat because of my experience with my moms bf. Like, I'm so unattractive I don't have to worry about being raped or anything.
    OMGosh..this is really similar to me. I hope we are both on that right track, we deserve this!! Its so hard as we know to do what is not right (ie: not enough food, or for me purging...) But I just hope, fingers crossed we all achieve being at peace with ourselves.