Post-Wedding Weight Loss

Options
Hi all, I've had a couple of people recommend this site so figured I'd join up and hopefully get some motivation. That's always my biggest problem, I know what I want to achieve, I'll start out and have a fantastic first day then procrastinate for a week :)
I've only been married for just under four months now but in that time I've put on 4kgs! A lot of that I'm blaming on the honeymoon and a few too many cocktails, that and no longer working towards trying to fit in a white dress the motivation just isn't there.
I'm a vegetarian so I eat relatively healthy, the biggest problem though is the husband. He has terrible eating habits and I've picked up quite a few, we can't sit down after dinner without having something to snack on and I have a massive sweet tooth so it's hard to say no. The other big problem I have is I can't really exercise, I have lung problems that walking more then 20m will leave me wheezing and coughing up a lung. So hoping to find anyone else on here that's trying to lose weight without exercise, I can't imagine it's going to be easy but as long as I stick to it I'll get there eventually

Replies

• ivan1964
    ivan1964 Posts: 435
    Options
    Hello and welcome here. You can do anything you put your mind too. I hope you have a great day.
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am also a newlywed trying to lose weight. I had success with MFP before but unfortunately fell off the wagon. Also, I am trying to lose weight with limited exercise. I try to exercise when I can but that only happens about twice a week, so I understand the struggles. I also understand the hubby's bad eating habits; I have one of those too. :)

Feel free to add me. I could always use new friends!
  • laurenbausch
    laurenbausch Posts: 146
    Options
    Me too! The last time I was committed to MFP was before my big day back in February 2011. I lost weight and looked pretty good on my wedding day. I bought a dress and had to exchange it for the same one 2 sizes smaller. Needless to say, I gained all 20 lbs. back and then some. For me it was eating out too much, drinking too much wine, bad birth control, and laziness. I'm now a little lighter than my wedding weight, and I've recently converted to a vegetarian diet. I still want to lose about 10-15 more pounds. Feel free to add me. Support holds us all accountable!
  • darkphoenix89
    darkphoenix89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Glad I'm not the only one who's put on something after the wedding! My mum's been doing nothing but teasing me and asking if I'm getting fat cause I'm married and no longer have to impress! Thankfully I know she's just joking but I think the final straw for me was clothes shopping last week, no longer a size 10 (I think 4 in US). My husbands wonderful and probably half the problem, he keeps saying I'm as beautiful as the day we met so I then think oh, I don't really need to start doing anything yet. That and if I send him to do the groceries he comes home with so much junk food...even when I give him a strict shopping list to stick to.

The biggest thing I'm finding is everyone just keeps telling me to exercise more but I'm lucky if I can manage 10min a day. I'm sure there's grandmas out there that can walk faster then me at the moment.

Laurenbausch, how have you found the conversion? I went vegetarian about 6 years ago and the biggest thing was my iron levels. can't imagine going back now but just remember it was tough when I first changed.
  • Tuphmama
    Tuphmama Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Same boat ladies! Got married two years and between, working, blending our families (he has three children and I have two) and trying to get through day to day life I have put on the 20 I lost for the wedding plus some. :( Really looking for some motivation or a challenge of some sort. I eat fairly healthy, but have the husband who doesnt live a healthy lifestyle and therefore I tend to snack more. I too have a sweet tooth and have had a hard time controlling it lately. Any help or suggestions would be great! And please add me as friend as well! Best of luck to you all!
  • AshQuill
    AshQuill Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What did you do leading up the wedding?

have you considered yoga? If you have trouble with Cadio maybe strength training might be your thing.
  • darkphoenix89
    darkphoenix89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Before the wedding I stuck to a strict alkaline diet, still no exercising but the weight just came off. I've just been slack since the wedding, broke the habit of the good diet on the honeymoon and it's difficult to get back into it. Especially when the hubby wants KFC or pizza or creamy pastas, all the things I'm not spose to eat on the diet.

I was doing tai chi and yoga before the wedding but with all our savings gone just haven't had the money. I'm also moving tomorrow out to the country (about 5 hours drive from the nearest big town) so there's no classes. I'm planning on trying to find some good yoga dvds though once I get out there.
    I'm not so good with strength training either :( I always stuck to cardio as I damaged my shoulder years ago and now can't really lift anything. I find even a short 10min session with 1kg weights leave it quite agonizing for days.

I've been told it's 80% diet and I've had results in the past with just diet so it's just a matter of sticking to it I guess.

My biggest hurdle is the husband, I've tried making healthy junk food but he's not a fan so I'm thinking of limiting it to one night a week we can have take out, he'll probably go for something greasy and I can go for something healthier like Thai.
  • chill611
    chill611 Posts: 4
    Options
    I got married in October and I've put on 10pnds too! Add me as a friend and we can work off the weight together!!