Painful swollen biceps? Can't straighten arms. HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    The weird thing is that pullups are really a tricep, not bicep exercise.

what?

:noway: :noway: :huh: :huh:

Unless you have some crazy alien joints, Triceps are pushing muscles and biceps are pulling or holding muscles.
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    The weird thing is that pullups are really a tricep, not bicep exercise.

what?

:noway: :noway: :huh: :huh:

Unless you have some crazy alien joints, Triceps are pushing muscles and biceps are pulling or holding muscles.

Yah, you are right. Brain fart. I was thinking chins were going to work biceps more than pullups but it is wrong for me to say pullups are a tricep exercise.
  • jwoot42
    jwoot42 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Met with trainer on Sat morning. Here i sit with T-Rex arms at 1pm on monday. Ice, hot Epsom salt baths, Aleve, none of its working. I was told to read this ( http://www.wikihow.com/Reduce-Lactic-Acid-Build-up-in-Muscles ) and just drink lots and lots of water. I also found this: "Lactic acid isn't the only culprit in DOMS. In fact, lactic acid is removed from muscle anywhere from just a few hours to less than a day after a workout, and so it doesn't explain the soreness experienced days after a workout. What is it then that causes DOMS for days after exercise? The answer is swelling in the muscle compartment that results from an influx of white blood cells, prostaglandins (which are antiinflammatory), and other nutrients and fluids that flow to the muscles to repair the "damage" after a tough workout. The type of muscle damage I am referring to is microscopic (it occurs in small protein contractile units of the muscle called myofibrils) and is part of the normal process of growth in the body called anabolism. It is not the type of damage or injury that you see your doctor about. The swelling and inflammation can build up for days after a workout, and that's why muscle soreness may be worse two, three, or even four days after a workout (it can take up to five days for muscles to heal completely depending on the intensity of the workout). any way T-Rex arms suck and im the laughing stock of the office right now, even been told im walking like C3PO from Star Wars LOL
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Met with trainer on Sat morning. Here i sit with T-Rex arms at 1pm on monday. Ice, hot Epsom salt baths, Aleve, none of its working. I was told to read this ( http://www.wikihow.com/Reduce-Lactic-Acid-Build-up-in-Muscles ) and just drink lots and lots of water. I also found this: "Lactic acid isn't the only culprit in DOMS. In fact, lactic acid is removed from muscle anywhere from just a few hours to less than a day after a workout, and so it doesn't explain the soreness experienced days after a workout. What is it then that causes DOMS for days after exercise? The answer is swelling in the muscle compartment that results from an influx of white blood cells, prostaglandins (which are antiinflammatory), and other nutrients and fluids that flow to the muscles to repair the "damage" after a tough workout. The type of muscle damage I am referring to is microscopic (it occurs in small protein contractile units of the muscle called myofibrils) and is part of the normal process of growth in the body called anabolism. It is not the type of damage or injury that you see your doctor about. The swelling and inflammation can build up for days after a workout, and that's why muscle soreness may be worse two, three, or even four days after a workout (it can take up to five days for muscles to heal completely depending on the intensity of the workout). any way T-Rex arms suck and im the laughing stock of the office right now, even been told im walking like C3PO from Star Wars LOL

epic bump, try less synthol
  • thedeadhooker
    thedeadhooker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did a search on Google to figure out what was wrong with my arms. I did 100 pull-ups and 100 push-ups on Monday and today, my arms are throbbing, so swollen, and I'm walking around like a robot because my arms can't straighten out. Sleeping is rough!
  • nolatwiggy
    Options
    I am exactly the same! I had a really tough first workout back in the gym after only doing yoga and cardio for years. Sleeping is terrible! My arms look twice as big as they normally are. You can even see the swelling by my elbow. I have taken Advil and taken it easy. I HATE this feeling of not being able to use my arms. This workout was Monday morning. It is now Friday morning and it seems barely better. How much longer can this go on?
  • Roseygirl1
    Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    All you folks who are getting swollen muscles please educate yourself about exercise induced rhabdomyolysis. It is potentially life-threatening.

I'm not saying any of you have it, but know that high-rep pullups are NOTORIOUS for being the culprit.

Rosey
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    My go to is a potassium supplement, a boat load of water,an epsom bath soak, and a light "hair of the dog" workout.

Hope you feel better

**spelling
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    a cautionary tale indeed.
    had similar probs on 1st and only arm workout.stopped me swimming for 2 days, which is an unacceptable treade off for me.
    may return to strength training under better guidance when i am fitter!
  • Roseygirl1
    Roseygirl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/rhabdomyolysis-symptoms-causes-treatments

Link to information about rhabdo....

....if you do develop it, taking potassium and NSAIDS (like ibuprofen) can make it worse!

Rosey
  • nolatwiggy
    Options
    Rosey,
    Thank you for the info. I am happy to say it has passed and I've even made it through another workout with minimal problems. I decreased my weight and listened to my body this time! Great info to have though.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I did pullups with my trainer on Monday. I had a springboard type thing under me to help give me a little boost as we did 3 sets of 12. I was fine that day, but It's now day 3 after the workout and I'm in a lot of discomfort. I can't totally straighten my arms, and I noticed today that my biceps are quite swollen and feel rock hard. Is this just extreme DOMS? Have I hurt myself? I have an advanced instructor module this Sunday for Bodypump, so I'm under a time crunch.

Anyone else experience this??

It's sounding like DOMS, I've been there. Go stretch, a lot. Get those arms moving and get someblood flow and endorphins going. It'll work itself out.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    guys- this thread got bumped by spam- it's 2 years old- I'm pretty sure her sore biceps are gone.
  • dbmata
    Options
    guys- this thread got bumped by spam- it's 2 years old- I'm pretty sure her sore biceps are gone.

Yeah, I noticed this after posting... then decided, IDGAF. :)

Damn necros confusing me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

who knows- maybe she got rhybdo and died? maybe this thread was her only link to life?????

WE"LL NEVER KNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
  • dbmata
    Options

who knows- maybe she got rhybdo and died? maybe this thread was her only link to life?????

WE"LL NEVER KNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Hahahaha, rhybdo from all teh pullz!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    All you folks who are getting swollen muscles please educate yourself about exercise induced rhabdomyolysis. It is potentially life-threatening.

I'm not saying any of you have it, but know that high-rep pullups are NOTORIOUS for being the culprit.

Rosey
    Getting to the point of "rhabdo" (as known in the fitness world), takes an IMMENSE amount of intensity over a period of time. It's a rarity that happens and one could do 5 sets of pullups to failure and not get it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition