leg cramps....HELP!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    What exercises are you doing on your legs? Maybe have a look, maybe you are doing a little bit too much on them
  • denise70460
    denise70460 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Might want to try to increase your potassium, fresh tomatoes, dry beans, V8(low sodium) all are pretty high. My medications used to cause a lot of leg cramps, since I've average about 4700mg of potassium per day-- none.
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    Potassium, yes. Might want to start some magnesium supplements as well. I use a product called 'Natural Calm', and you can get calcium supplements which include magnesium.
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    COCONUT WATER! Almost instant relief. It has more potassium than bananas and gets there faster because you're drinking it. My husband gets horrible leg cramps at night and didn't believe me, but when I finally got him to try it, he is hooked. I don't love the taste of it, but there is a kids "juice box" type version that isn't bad.
  • bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I personally agree with the potassium/magnesium replies, but if you want a quick "home remedy" type solution, my mom SWEARS by keeping a bar of soap between the mattress and the fitted sheet. She says it takes a while to get used to it, and you do have to move the soap around while you sleep and/or if you get a cramp, but you're apparently supposed to just move the soap to be directly under your leg when you have a cramp. I think it's psychosomatic, and when I've told my mom this, she says, "But if it works, who cares?" Anyway, it's worth a try if you happen to have a bar of soap around. :smile:
  • houam002
    houam002 Posts: 3
    Options
    I used to suffer the same problem. It's excruciating and very exhausting. My Doctor recommended that I drink a glass of Indian Tonic Water daily. It's high in potassium and I think magnesium. Deficiencies in both are major causes of leg cramps.

Stretching never did help in this regard but I had a great deal of success with the Indian Tonic Water.

If you can, always try a natural source where possible before heading for a supplement fix. It's easier, cheaper and better for you.
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    yup i've had them. SO PAINFUL! for me it means i'm lacking potassium. a banana a day for 3-4 days fixes it.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Be careful with potassium supplements. Try to get it from food instead. You can overdose on potassium.
  • 2dayirun4me
    2dayirun4me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Potassium and Magnesium. You can buy the Combo at Wal-Mart... If Extra Water and a Banana Doesn't fix your Cramps in a week. Pick these up.

^^ This
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My father (no not a doctor) always told me that leg cramps were due to a potassium deficiency. Try bananas?