Calories in diabetes test drink?

Options
I have a bunch of blood work do get done tomorrow. 1 of the tests is the dreaded glucose test where I have to drink that gawd awful sweet syrupy stuff to test my tolerance for diabetes. I also have to fast before hand. (no food after 6pm tonight). My first question is how do I figure out the calories in that sugar drink and will consuming pure sugar ruin my whole day. (Once cut out all sugar and refined carbs). I actually have real anxiety over this right now. :frown:

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    There's a chance that it will be a prepackaged solution in a bottle, with info on it,.
    You could ask your physician.

Lastly, and most importantly, if you're getting bent out of shape over it (no offense when I use those words as I'm trying to help here) I think you should take a step back and relax. Even if it's 1000 calories it's not going to make a big difference in the grand scheme of things.

Relax.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    There's a chance that it will be a prepackaged solution in a bottle, with info on it,.
    You could ask your physician.

Lastly, and most importantly, if you're getting bent out of shape over it (no offense when I use those words as I'm trying to help here) I think you should take a step back and relax. Even if it's 1000 calories it's not going to make a big difference in the grand scheme of things.

Relax.

This! You will probably feel pretty crappy after it. I did. Eat some high protein foods and get yourself through the day feeling as good as you can. Tomorrow can be a more normal day for you.
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    I know you're right. I know it's a necessary test so I'll try to calm down about it. Just hate the whole idea. Thanks for the help :-)
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    The come in bottles that have the info on them, I've never had them but I'm a phlebotomist so I get to give the drink to the unlucky people lol
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    should be 75 g x 4 kcal/g so about 300 kcals
  • Treesy72
    Treesy72 Posts: 230
    Options
    Thanks everyone :wink:
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I did the GTT and the bottle said 300 cals. Man that test is unpleasant. I fell asleep half an hour in!! hahah

But otherwise your day will be just fine love!! Just have a nice, protein-rich meal afterwards.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    God I hate that stuff.