What is it about running?

Options
2»

Replies

• mrskellit
    mrskellit Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to chime in about it taking maybe 1 mile in before you hit your stride. I went from thinking I was dying after 2 minutes of running, to not wanting to stop after about 30. I felt like I could conquer the world. Runner's high!

Well, I still feel that way, but I haven't been able to run in a month (car accident). It's KILLING ME. I want to just sprint across streets, on the treadmill, etc. I'm envious of you all right now!

I also like everyone's pics of the Color runs. I walked one last weekend. Good times. :)
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've been hooked since shortly before my first 5K. The first time I ran 30 minutes non-stop I had such a feeling of amazement at what I did I couldn't get over it! I run to continue finding those moments of amazement. the first time I did 5 miles. The first time I ran for 1 hr nonstop, my first half marathon, etc. During training runs the first 1-2 miles absolutely suck sometimes, but once I settle in and quiet down my brain I find it very meditative. Don't get me wrong, some runs just suck all the way through. Every runner has those days. But some runs are just wonderful from the first step to the last and those are the ones that keep me going.

I hope you get your Ah-hah moment soon. Look back over what you've accomplished during C25K - did you ever think you'd run that far?
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to chime in about it taking maybe 1 mile in before you hit your stride. I went from thinking I was dying after 2 minutes of running, to not wanting to stop after about 30. I felt like I could conquer the world. Runner's high!

Well, I still feel that way, but I haven't been able to run in a month (car accident). It's KILLING ME. I want to just sprint across streets, on the treadmill, etc. I'm envious of you all right now!

I also like everyone's pics of the Color runs. I walked one last weekend. Good times. :)

I had to take 4 months off due to knee surgery and thought I would absolutely die. I missed it sooo much! Hope you're back at it soon.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Happened to me during a race a couple years ago. I started passing a few people and then all of the sudden I felt invincible, I picked up my pace to something way faster than I trained with and I never got tired. Just felt like I could run forever. Haven't felt it since though.
  • micabrito2012
    micabrito2012 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I agree with this! I can feel my legs burn and my lungs want to explode at times but for some reason I'm thinking of other things sometimes just enjoying the scenery.
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    The first mile is always the hardest, but there's nothing like that feeling when it's over...I live on THAT high until I start my next run.

:drinker:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You are still in the c2 5k program... your kind of paying the price for greatness.

I think others said. the first few miles suck! Your just running the first sucky part.

Only after week 9, and went further did I feel like I could do anything.
    For me, the runners high is basically a wash of Adrenalin that flows over the back of my neck and up to the front of my scalp.

About mile 4 or 5 I feel fantastic and actually I think I start running faster, till I settle in on a pace.

Great job on signing up for the 5k. Just stick a bit twords the back for your first time, and remember to pace yourself in the beginning. Your going to want to save a little for the end.
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    At first I found it difficult. My first race hooked me. I wasn't racing against anyone else....just my self. Just seeing if I could do it. Just seeing if finally, I could be the athlete. Now I put on my music and get lost in my thoughts and I'm in that peaceful zone.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Most of what I feel has already been summed up, except I feel great the first mile then all of a sudden I get that WTH am I doing..after a while it goes away I settle in with a pace and motion. Then I feel like superman and can run forever. Eventually coming back down to earth concentrating on my motion. The after run is such a great feeling.
    A few times I've felt a high that no drug or alcohol has ever done for me.
  • szartman
    szartman Posts: 5
    Options
    i have yet to find this elusive "runners high". i have been running off and on the past 4 or 5 years, mostly during the spring/summer months. i go anywhere between 2-5 miles at a 8-9 minute mile pace. i've heard great things about this euphoric feeling, but have yet to experience it. i was a sprinter in HS and love that feeling after a 400M race, is that what this high is like? what am i doing wrong?
  • ShaunaD81
    ShaunaD81 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I love running! It takes 10 minutes for me to love it, but after that my mind stops thinking about what I'm doing and I start enjoying myself. I've run a marathon and a half and this year my goal is to run in an event each month - I'm 7 for 7! I think you just have to get past the wall - that can be anywhere for you - and then you should start feeling the high.

PS any runners out there that would like to add me please feel free. I'm looking to get some more running MFPals!
  • DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1
    DoOrDoNotThereIsNoTry1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have never been a runner but to me, it has been instrumental these past 6 weeks or so in my weight loss. In the past, I would get shin spints, muscle cramps, my lungs would be on fire and would have trouble breathing. But with with an IPOD and MFP, I have fought through the obstacles and now generally have a good 2 mile run without any complications. But, one of the things I use to help motivate me is jogtracker.com. Using my phone, I am able to log all my jogs and it keeps a history for me. Shows me how many miles I ran (using GPS), how many calories I burned, what my minute per mile is. I use it as motivation to push myself to beat my best. Starting out, I was a 15 minute per mile jogger. Now, I am just over 10 minutes per mile. It provides a nice little challenge. I have a buddy that I friened on the site as well and we talk smack back and forth...I think it, just like MFP really helps. I generally run in the morning before it gets too hot. I feel that after a long day of work, I can come up with too many excuses. I get it out of the way early, let the metabolism burn throughout the day and that's it. Hopefully do it again the next day. If I am too sore, then I hop on a bike, or do a dvd and get back at it when my legs are stronger.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I started really enjoying when I realized that I could stop racing myself or comparing myself to other runners and just enjoy the scenery. It is still hard to get going some days and really training for a goal race requires some amount of discomfort, but most days it is just some quiet time to myself with the added benefit of fitness.

I still get amazed when I look back at what I could do when I first started and what I can do now...really, who would have thought when I would go 1 mile in 12 or 13 minutes and then have to take a break that I now do 5 or 6 miles at a much faster pace and call it recovery. (I love recovery runs, no pain, lots of gain)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    For me running became truly enjoyable when I learned to let go and just be in that moment (I know, sounds like goofy, new age mumbo jumbo) and turn running into play time but I believe I was over thinking it when I first started running.

If you watch kids run and play it's pure bliss and completely natural for them. It's not work, it's not exercise.....it's play.

As an adult it's a lot harder to capture that innocence and make something like running play, we're always thinking about work or relationships or finances. When I run (and I'm lucky - I get to run along a pathway that goes along a river) I get to see the sunrise (or sunset if I'm running late), the ducks on the water, squirrels playing and(less fun) the occasional skunk or family of geese (mother goose may have been nice in fairy tales, in real life she's pretty protective of her goslings)