Help please (seriously please read)

Options
2»

Replies

• ericsperling
    Options
    Don't overdue it. Start out walking briskly for 10 minutes each day. Use a pedometer to record gained calories. Gradually increase walking time as you start losing weight. Over-exercising will deter you from exercising and injuries will add negative re-inforcement to stop you from exercising. More serious injuries will prevent you from exercising.

Keep this in mind: exercise is not the path to weight loss; dieting is. If you don't count calories, exercise will just increase your appetite. Do use exercise as a tool to bank more calories for eating. Don't use exercise as a means to lose weight.

When I started dieting at 232 lbs, I resigned to walk 10 minutes daily at 2.5 mph and a gain of 55 calories. As I started to lose weight, 10 minutes was only giving me back 45 cals so I increased walking time to 15, 20, 30, 40, 60 minutes. I walk during lunch break (big walk) and take little "coffee break" walks and "bathroom break" walks. I try to walk enough to accumulate 120-200 cal per day. Also record walking while shopping, mowing lawn or other general landscaping activities.

Always eat before you walk because you need food to ignite fat burning. Always carry cold water if walking in intense heat. Walk briskly but no so fast that you cramp or become fatigued. Enjoy your walk.

P.S. Comfortable shoes, orthotics and comfy clothes are also helpful.
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Potassium is also important too . . . eat five fruits and vegetables a day to prevent cramping.

Once you are 40, you may find you need arch supports, especially if overweight. The ones in the store don't help much.
    This is ironic because I just bought some arch supports/insoles yesterday and they didn't seem to help lol.
  • fdavisdarthard
    fdavisdarthard Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's possible that over time you could have damaged your metabolism. If you’ve caused metabolic damage as a result of following starvation diets or losing weight too rapidly in the past, it can be extremely difficult to achieve any further fat loss at all. The good news is, metabolic damage can be repaired. All it takes is the right combination of metabolism stimulating exercise and metabolism stimulating nutrition (NOT just a diet), all done consistently over time. What’s most important for boosting your metabolism is CONSISTENCY in applying the your nutritional and training principles every single day. By making better food choices such as unprocessed foods with high thermic effect (lean proteins like chicken, turkey, egg whites and fish are highly thermic, as are all green vegetables, salad vegetables and other fibrous carbs. You should also have a sufficient caloric intake by maintaining a small calorie deficit and avoid starvation-level diets (suggested safe levels for fat loss is 1200-1500 calories per day for women; adjust as needed). Finally, weight training is very beneficial. The basic exercises that include the largest muscle groups or even call into play the entire body as a unit (squats, front squats, split squats, deadlifts, stiff legged deadlifts, overhead presses, all kinds of rows and core-activation exercises) will have a much greater metabolism stimulating effect than isolation exercises (concentration curls, calf raises, etc). The weight training is extremely important in cases of “metabolic damage” because this is the stimulus to keep the muscle you have and begin rebuilding new muscle tissue, which is the engine that drives your metabolism. Hope this information helps! :-)
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I believe that an anti-inflammatory pill might be in order if you are sore all the time. I know that popping pill is not popular here but sometimes it pays to get muscle inflammation under control while trying all the suggested physical and dietary fixes. Aspirin, aleev should help
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Water! stretching is good. Also is your food diary accurate? Cause some days you are way under your goal, especially the days your burning more. Fuel your body, its need it to recover
  • ChaoticMiNd
    ChaoticMiNd Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If you're walking outside, 3 miles- a few times per week, you NEED to make sure you have good shoes. When I say "good," I mean-- you should probably get fitted for your personal gait/foot at an athletic shoe store, like FLEET FEET or something. Sore muscles are totally normal. But if you're getting shin pain, joint pain, etc.. It's probably because you need proper footwear.
    This makes sense because my sneakers are three years old lol....(I never used them so much before). Also to everyone else thank you for the input, and I do get plenty of water I love water.

Yes! You need new shoes! And here's a trick.. Go to an athletic/running shoe shop and have them measure your feet and observe your gait/stride. They will then recommend shoes that are best for YOUR feet. But.. You don't HAVE to purchase them there. Write down the names of the shoes they recommend. You can always go on Amazon and find a better price. Proper shoes can be pricey (especially in the specialized athletic shops.) If they are having a sale or something-- it's nice to buy them there since they took the time to measure, etc.
    I am sooo going to do this tomorrow.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I'm 53, I'm sore all the time in one spot or another. I spent 50 years beating the hell out of my body in every way that I possibly could, and over the last 2 years I've tried to turn things around.... it's a tough road, but you just gotta do it.
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Sore after a workout is normal but sore for a month is not! Definitely look at your Protein, Potassium & water intake to help prevent sore muscles. If after you have looked at your intake & still do not find relief, you could have torn muscles or an underlying problem. Here is some info from Live Strong website: http://www.livestrong.com/article/413096-sore-leg-muscles-after-working-out/