Oil Substitute

ctucker07
ctucker07 Posts: 37 Member
edited September 20 in Recipes
I was wondering if any of you know of anything I can sub for oil in my baking. I have this recipe my mom gave me for banana pineapple muffins but it calls for 1 1/2 cups of oil, a whopping 2400 calories!!! Not even to mention the fat. I love these muffins but I'd actually like to be able to eat them after I bake them...LOL

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    you can sub applesauce cup for cup for half or more of the oil called for.

:flowerforyou:
  • ctucker07
    So 3/4 cup of oil and 3/4 cup of applesauce?
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    You can substitute ground flax seed for oil in recipes. I believe it is a 3 to 1 ratio of flax seed to water.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    So 3/4 cup of oil and 3/4 cup of applesauce?

if the recipe calls for a cup and a half of oil, yes.:flowerforyou:
  • stal25
    stal25 Posts: 1 Member
    But make sure it is the unsweetened applesauce. It really is the best substitute for oil:) Happy Baking!!
  • ctucker07
    Thanks guys! :happy:
  • SkinnyJess
    SkinnyJess Posts: 123 Member
    I personally use applesauce in place of oil all the time. I make banana bread and pumpkin bread all the time and I never use any oil. If it calls for 1 cup of oil, I use 1 cup applesauce. I do this with cakes sometimes also. My family loves all of these things and I love knowing that I am making something healthy! Sometimes I have to bake these things a little longer than the recipe calls for but just watch for browning and check the center like you normally would. Hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • m2kjenn
    m2kjenn Posts: 1,671 Member
    Just made a Red Velvet cake for my Mom's birthday subbing Applesauce for the oil - turned out GREAT!
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    My mom makes some awesome quick bread combos and she substitutes applesauce for all of the oil & they're amazing.

I have found that with some baked goods, the apple sauce for oil sub dries them out a bit (which makes sense), so you may want to play with how much applesauce you can add to certain things. If you did half and half, you probably wouldn't notice any difference at all.
This discussion has been closed.