Does anyone else HATE exercising?

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I used to. Then it became part of my lifestyle, I got GOOD at it, and now I really enjoy it. For a long time, I said the same thing about running - it's too boring, I get tired easily, etc - Now check my user pic. Weight loss and fitness can, and should, change your perspective on a lot of things.

Open yourself to the possibility of changing things you don't like.
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I think for me it's not that I hate working out, it's that I weigh so much that it's hard to do it and I get tired easily, but that's what my goal is. Everyday I think..." next week I can do more because I'll be more fit"
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If I don't find it entertaining, I won't stick to it. You have to find exercises that you LOVE. I started off using my Xbox 360 Kinect. I have a huge interest in video games, so it was a prefect fit for me. I believe I lost about 35 - 40 lbs using that on and off over a years time.

When I got a new job they offered a deep employee discount at the local YMCA and I saw that Zumba was a free class, so I decided to try it. I freaking LOVE it! I've been doing it for about two months now and I've lost about 12 lbs.

I'm a big believer that you have to enjoy exercise or you'll eventually forget your goals. I hope you find something that you really enjoy doing! Good luck on your journey!

LOVE hearing other Zumba success stories! :)
  • Lindseyjobirkner
    Options
    ME ME ME!!

In fact I don't do it and I know my weight loss would reflect it if I would get off my butt. With the 100+ degree weather we've been suffering through the past week all I want to do is go home from work, curl up with my Kindle and read!

I should do better :(
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I love working out! Jogging outside is the best by far. Once my gym membership expires I'm not re-newing. I have been like 3 times in 2 months, but that is becuase I'm doing other things as exercise that I enjoy like Zumba, Insanity & other dance workouts.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I already liked hiking and in the last 3 months learned to love street and trail walking - in fact I'm addicted.

I still don't like intense weight training where I push hard enough I feel like I'm going to die - but I need to up the intensity and my HRM says I am nowhere near my limits.
  • lmg806
    lmg806 Posts: 4
    Options
    My exercising is in the mountain trails of beautiful Colorado. I take my camera and try to capture the beauty. I'm so busy enjoying the views that I forget the difficulty. :flowerforyou:
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yup - Pilates, Kettlebell, running I never want to do it but I always feel better when I do.

I do enjoy walking & yoga. I need variety and if outside I like to change the routes so I don't see the same thing everytime. That's not always easy.
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    I love working out, I'm addicted to the gym and burning calories!!!
    Just gotta get your head in to it!
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I HATE running - it hurts and it's boring
    I dislike Weight training - it hurts but isn't boring
    I like cycling - doesn't hurt much and I can comfortably listen to my music and look at what's going on around me

My advice - do something you like rather than something that you think is most beneficial to you

My wife does Zumba and loves it, I play football and love it. Exercise is a bonus with those
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Well, I hate:

1. Treadmills. I am not a hamster
    2. Repetition. I need to keep my routine exciting and different
    3. Looking like a fool in front of people I don't know

So, this is what I do:
    1. Multiple videos. Some work for me, some don't. I keep filtering through until I find some I like.
    2. Wii games. I have Wii Fit, Wii Zumba, Wii Country Dance
    3. Run/Bike outside with my kids
    4. Walk during breaks at work
    5. I just ordered under the desk bike pedals for work. I hope I like them.

I'd like to get into some group sports again, but it just isn't in the cards right now. It will be someday though!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I hate exercising because I get bored. While exercising the time goes by sooo slow.. but I do want to lose weight so Im trying my best to do cardio every day. :smile:

Have you tried weights? Maybe you would find that more enjoyable. How about swimming, biking? You don't have to hate what you are doing.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I still don't like intense weight training where I push hard enough I feel like I'm going to die - but I need to up the intensity and my HRM says I am nowhere near my limits.

HRM don't measure correctly during weight training. They are meant for use during aerobic exercise.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    HRM don't measure correctly during weight training. They are meant for use during aerobic exercise.

This
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ME ME ME!!

In fact I don't do it and I know my weight loss would reflect it if I would get off my butt. With the 100+ degree weather we've been suffering through the past week all I want to do is go home from work, curl up with my Kindle and read!

I should do better :(

100° is a killer - I live in the midwest and am subbing indoor "walking" right now. The same for the winter months - I just don't trust myself to walk outdoors in the winter .... too many excuses. So, I just pop in a Walk at Home DVD and go (Leslie Sansone). There are many of these videos on Youtube as well. Here's a clip to give you an idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfbneFQ_8&feature=related

You can lose weight without exercise .... but you risk losing muscle mass along with the fat.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I definitely exercise, I just get bored so easily. I love running around with my 2 year old, but now with an 8 week old that is on hiatus for a bit. I have a regular aerobic "step" that I use, and I do some light weight lifting, but I'm finding it hard to change it up and enjoy it!
  • WhySoCerealGirl
    Options
    I hate exercise! Infact I was just thinking about this earlier but I have found that anything out side is actually pretty fun. :) Have you tried jogging or walking? I love it!
  • mscrumbyy
    mscrumbyy Posts: 116
    Options
    I've learned to love it. I do workout DVDs, yoga, zumba and more recently swimming and kickboxing. I just experimented a hole lot until I found something I enjoyed. It sucks being sweaty and nobody likes burning muscles but if you find something fun it's much easier to stick with.
  • maritsa88
    maritsa88 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I hate gym! I never understood the use of it. to build a body or to fix it????? Hate building a body none cares the fixing part meaning caring for your health. Love the danse though,helped me lose and keep a stable track.
  • RobinRenee83
    RobinRenee83 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    OMG ME,!!!! I hate that it's so hot in my gym, seriously not sure there is a/c in there at all. I hate that I need a shower as soon as I get home, but it's not always possible bc I have two toddlers and a husband who want dinner. I hate that even if I can just ump in the shower, I feel too tired to stand there and do it. I hate that my face breaks out from all the sweat... But I do love getting some quiet time to myself and some book reading in. Oh, and I love seeing the scale reflect my work. I struggle with it. The food part is easy for me. exercise... not so much. I go through weeks where I'm super motivated to work out and then the next week, I don't go once. :( Still trying to get that part of the equation. Good luck and remember, just keep trying!

I couldn't have said it better myself!! Let me tell you....my gym is free through my job. It's small and a lot of times it's like you're playing Hunger Games to get on the equipment. I've recently made it a point to go during lunch and get at least 30 minutes in...but I HATE IT!!!!! I hate rushing through a shower just so I don't smell like death when I go back to work.....but I know I will neglect working out once I get home because I'm so busy. I hate the smell of the gym and the lack of AC...but I know that the smell of the gym is the smell of fat burning. There is so much that I dislike about working out that I may even burn some calories just typing it in. BUT...I hate being obese and I hate cringing every time I look at a picture of myself. So I've found that the Xbox Kinect is my new best friend. When I'm really dreading going to the gym, I do Zumba and Dance Central workouts. It's still exercising (BLAH!) but at least when I finish this workout I can say that I had fun doing it!