Family that stays together NSV???

Options
DaBossLady24
DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
So, I've been at this whole "lifestyle change" thing for about 6 months now. At first, family members and friends thought that I was crazy, obsessed, putting in too much work at the gym, not eating enough "stick to your ribs" type of foods... the list goes on. Then, once they actually figured out that I'm going about this in the proper fashion and focusing on how to LIVE healthy and not just eat salads all day long, their mindset changed.

My actual NSV that you came to read about???
Both of my parents have a copious amount of health issues like being obese, high blood pressure, bad knees, fluid pressure in their ankles, high cholesterol, etc. A few months ago on a random weekend that I came to visit, I asked if they wanted to walk around the track at my old high school with me and they ACTUALLY did. From there on out, they started walking the track or around a local lake together almost every day after work to the point where they went from walking about a mile each time to approximately 2 miles or more. I recently went home again to find out that my dad has lost 20 pounds and has been lifting weights in his office's gym (after I told him that I've been working on strength training), my mom has lost 8 pounds and they've been eating healthier.

To be honest, the numbers are just numbers at this point (but still an awesome accomplishment for them). The biggest NSV of all is that I turned my family onto something that's great for them, which means I'll get to have my parents around a little bit longer now. :bigsmile:

Replies

• ahigg396
    ahigg396 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    that's so incredible! i wish i could get mine to do the same! congratulations!
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Good for you! You have been a positive influence in their lives. Keep up the great work!
  • ahulse23
    ahulse23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That is great! Always makes kids feel good when we can influence our parents in a positive way.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I think that is great! You have been setting a good example and it's rubbed off. How awesome for you and your family. Go Mom and Pop! :)
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    It's awesome how you insipired them like that! Congrats to you all!!
  • Eafears
    Eafears Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!
  • amj3303
    amj3303 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful news!!! Keep up your good work!!!
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    That's absolutely fantastic!! Congratulation and good luck to you and your family as the "lifestyle change" continues :)
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    That is FABULOUS!
  • BrittSwimsJDRF
    BrittSwimsJDRF Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! This is so great that you could be such an inspiration to your family. Good luck on your journey!
  • TeresaWash
    TeresaWash Posts: 283
    Options
    ok.... I think that is the best NSV I've ever heard! Yippee!!!!
  • redyls
    redyls Posts: 2
    Options
    What is NSV????????
  • DaBossLady24
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's definitely an amazing feeling to see that you can inspire others (even when they're stubborn at times).
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful! I hope that they keep it up. I bet they feel so much better!
  • russ1220
    russ1220 Posts: 58
    Options
    Inspiring to have your family follow your leadin something positive! Keep up the good work. :flowerforyou:
  • DaBossLady24
    Options
    NSV= Non-scale victory! :smile:
  • ashleygonzalez1
    Options
    That is GREAT! Kudos to you and your family!

My husband wasn't on board when I started in the beginning of the year. As I slowly cleared the unhealthy things from the house and he FINALLY realized he was lactose intolerant, he started to lose weight just by changing his eating habits. Now he's almost 30 lbs down and excited people are noticing his weight loss!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    :-)
  • isaacs06
    isaacs06 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This is the best NSV I think I've seen on MFP! Kudos to you AND to your parents!!
  • stumpycow
    stumpycow Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This actually made me a little teary because my parents have very similar health issues. I wish I inspire my parents the same way. Congratulations on motivating your parents!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!