Knee Pain

Options
nikinyx6
nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
OK, backstory...

Started C25K 2 weeks ago, was doing awesome! No pain other than normal muscle soreness. Quickly became addicted to running, and have been doing it almost every other day.

On my last C25K run (exact same as all of the other runs) I noticed a dull pain behind one knee cap...wasn't too bad, so did the run anyway.

Woke the next day, very intense pain in that knee, so only walked for that day as a workout. When I went to bed that night, knee felt great :) Woke up the next morning, both knees sore.

I've taken 3 rest days since, nothing but walking, and still, the knee pain comes and goes....kind of scared to run again, as knee pain isn't to be taken lightly....

I guess what I'm wondering, is why would my knees not bother me at all for the first week and half, then hurt like mad, with no change in routine? Any Ideas? I have a doctors appointment next week, but would love to try any other ideas in the meantime.

I miss running :(

Replies

• Reneefit135
    Reneefit135 Posts: 170
    Options
    I get sore knees to, using a knee strap helps. I don't run but do a lot of jumping and twisting in my workouts.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted at a running store for the right shoes for the way you run?

Most running injuries fall into two broad categories that are interrelated. Overuse or the wrong shoes.
  • nikinyx6
    Options
    Have you been fitted at a running store for the right shoes for the way you run?

Most running injuries fall into two broad categories that are interrelated. Overuse or the wrong shoes.

No I have not, but it doesn't make sense to me to have no pain for two weeks, then pain, with the same sneakers. I'm not really in a financial position at this point to be fitted, and buy $100 shoes.
  • nikinyx6
    Options
    I get sore knees to, using a knee strap helps. I don't run but do a lot of jumping and twisting in my workouts.

Knee strap? Like the elastic wrap thingy?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

No I have not, but it doesn't make sense to me to have no pain for two weeks, then pain, with the same sneakers. I'm not really in a financial position at this point to be fitted, and buy $100 shoes.

Running injuries can sneak up when you don't notice. The correct shoes and using the correct form solves the problem most of the time. Also, are you icing it down? 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

You don't have to spend $100. Check out Famous Footwear or similar place. Find a store where you can jog in a small circle while wearing them and check the fit yourself. Ask the salesperson to watch you and see if they notice anything. Consider your body like a zipper. When you run, everything should line up together. Consider how a zipper can get messed up if it is twisted even a hair.

There are plenty of off-brand running shoes that you can purchase at bargain stores for a fraction of the price of Nike or Adidas. Also, be on the look-out for clearance sales. Last year's running shoe may not be as fashionable, but it's still a good running shoe.
    :smile:
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Repeated stress on an area over time will lead to injury. Running pain/injuries are not like the catastrophic injuries that take place on the football field from one tackle or misplaced foot plant.
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

You don't have to spend $100. Check out Famous Footwear or similar place. Find a store where you can jog in a small circle while wearing them and check the fit yourself. Ask the salesperson to watch you and see if they notice anything. Consider your body like a zipper. When you run, everything should line up together. Consider how a zipper can get messed up if it is twisted even a hair.

There are plenty of off-brand running shoes that you can purchase at bargain stores for a fraction of the price of Nike or Adidas. Also, be on the look-out for clearance sales. Last year's running shoe may not be as fashionable, but it's still a good running shoe.

I don't believe this to be sound advice. Go to a specialty running store and get fitted by someone that has been trained to do so. If you are on a budget, find out what shoe you need, say thank you and then buy them cheaper on-line. I don't like this, but if its the only way to get you in the right shoe, then go for it. I like to give the money to the people that put the time in, but I understand a budget too.
  • nikinyx6
    Options

Running injuries can sneak up when you don't notice. The correct shoes and using the correct form solves the problem most of the time. Also, are you icing it down? 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off

Yep, using the RICE method, rest, ice, compression, elevation...will also have a look at foot locker this weekend, maybe I can find a deal :)
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Yep, using the RICE method, rest, ice, compression, elevation...will also have a look at foot locker this weekend, maybe I can find a deal :)

No, no, no. Not Foot Locker. Someplace like Fleet Feet or Road Runner Sports. Not the big box shoe stores. Half of the "running shoes" they have on their wall aren't suitable for running.
  • nikinyx6
    Options

No, no, no. Not Foot Locker. Someplace like Fleet Feet or Road Runner Sports. Not the big box shoe stores. Half of the "running shoes" they have on their wall aren't suitable for running.

i'm in Canada, and have never heard of those stores
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

Google for running stores in your area or ask a local running club for a recommendation. They have them up there.
  • nikinyx6
    Options

Google for running stores in your area or ask a local running club for a recommendation. They have them up there.

Thanks Carson...hope I can resolve this without medical attention. :)
  • korinastern
    Options
    Sales to traffic is something all of us in retail get penalized for, we work really hard to try and help people find what will work for them. When they just walk out and go purchase online we actually get measured on that and judged by our corporate offices. Plus our time is taken away from people who may actually buy something and then we dont hit our sales goals. Another measure we are judged on. This effect our raises and the amount of payroll that is alotted to our stores which effects the consumers ability to get an associated right away without waiting. Its a vicious cycle.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Knee pain in runners can also be weak hips or muscle imbalances. Try adding squats and lunges in every direction, front,back, side. You can watch you tube videos too.

Carson it right, go to a running store, if you can't afford them, get the brand and size and comparison shop online. It may be tacky cuz they spend time with you but most runners are really just plain helpful and would rather see you in the right shoes in long run.
  • researchgirl82
    researchgirl82 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Thanks Carson...hope I can resolve this without medical attention. :)

I want to second Carson and his sage advice. Nothing replaces getting fitted at a running store by a running professional. They will sell you shoes based on your gait, weight and mileage and consider if you run on a treadmill or road. Be sure to bring your current pair in when you do decide to shop/purchase.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I don't believe this to be sound advice. Go to a specialty running store and get fitted by someone that has been trained to do so. If you are on a budget, find out what shoe you need, say thank you and then buy them cheaper on-line. I don't like this, but if its the only way to get you in the right shoe, then go for it. I like to give the money to the people that put the time in, but I understand a budget too.

We will have to agree to disagree. I have bought excellent running shoes for a fraction of the price. I used to wear Diadora's all the time when mom and dad were paying the bill, but even then I bought the ones on clearance or at a discount.

No one should be told that they can't afford to run. That's absurd. Everyone can afford a good pair of running shoes if you are a thrifty shopper. You are going to have her thinking that she can't run at all now. :huh:
  • CarsonRuns
    Options

We will have to agree to disagree. I have bought excellent running shoes for a fraction of the price. I used to wear Diadora's all the time when mom and dad were paying the bill, but even then I bought the ones on clearance or at a discount.

No one should be told that they can't afford to run. That's absurd. Everyone can afford a good pair of running shoes if you are a thrifty shopper. You are going to have her thinking that she can't run at all now. :huh:

Not everyone has the bio-mechanics to run in just any shoe off the shelf. You are very fortunate in that respect. Relish it.

The OP has already experienced a running injury that very well may be caused by the shoes. Were she to select another pair that isn't right either, it will exacerbate the problem. Isn't it worth the investment to be fitted by a professional at least once? It's your body after all.

You are talking from your experience of one. I am talking from the experiences of dozens upon dozens of runners that have been through the same thing the OP is going through and had their issues resolved by getting fitted for the right shoe.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Not everyone has the bio-mechanics to run in just any shoe off the shelf. You are very fortunate in that respect. Relish it.

The OP has already experienced a running injury that very well may be caused by the shoes. Were she to select another pair that isn't right either, it will exacerbate the problem. Isn't it worth the investment to be fitted by a professional at least once? It's your body after all.

You are talking from your experience of one. I am talking from the experiences of dozens upon dozens of runners that have been through the same thing the OP is going through and had their issues resolved by getting fitted for the right shoe.

You are suggesting that she have a professional fit, then go buy a cheap pair online. I don't think buying shoes online is sound advice at all. You have to wear them in the store. You have to jog in place or a small circle to feel them on your feet. You are also suggesting that you can't get running shoes at "box stores," which sounds more like personal preference rather than research-based. There is nothing wrong with so-called "box stores."

FYI: This isn't just my experience, either. But also the experience of the same dozens of team-mates and friends, etc. You assume too much.
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    You might want to be measured and fit for good running shoes. You may not have enough support. Coming from someone who has flat feet (literally) this makes a world of difference. Taking a glucosamine supplement can help with joints as well (but it usually takes about 2 weeks before you start to notice the difference, but it helps.) That stuff worked for me :)