Diet Pops good??? NOT

Options

Replies

• 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    i drink diet soda and Im dropping fat like crazy! Anyhing 0 cal is OK with me!
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    You were wrong in the second sentence. so I stopped reading.

but feel free to push your opinionated agenda on everyone else.

wow people get a grip lol
    firstly it was copied text from a site telling of the dangers of diet soda.
    secondly it was put here to VERY simply to educate those that didnt know
    thirdly you wanna drink it anyway ....knock yourself out....I dont care!! lol good gravy!
    fourthly I didnt say that I myself havent drank it and that I will NEVER have one again lol
    fifthly and finally..... like alcoholics, nicotene/caffeine addicts...you doth protest too much....you might have a problem lol
    take a deep breath people!!!!
  • Mistyblu08
    Options
    I would say 80% of my liquids was either diet fizzy drinks or sugar free squash.

I now drink like water like 98% of the time. If I fancy something fizzy, I will get a diet pepsi, dandelion & burdock or something else. You only live once and having something like a diet pepsi every once in a while isn't going to kill you. I would rather have the occasional diet pepsi than have a cigarette lol.

Firstly, I don't fancy filling my lungs with tar and having discolored fingers and teeth. Secondly, I don't like the smell of it lol.
    I am with you on that!!
  • Mistyblu08
    Options
    I started to notice every time I drank diet drinks my feet would bother me. Once I stopped drinking them and stuck with unsweet tea and plain water - my feet feel fine. Turns out I was allergic to the sugar substitutes. So.... when I REALLY want a sugary drink, I have ONE. Or I get a sip or 2 of my husband's drink. My cousin had a similar reaction - she would get hives every time she drank a diet drink. She is no longer drinking them either and her hives went away. Scary stuff - IMO.
    I have heard this from quite a few people as well as other issues....all people are different and some can handle the stuff and some cant....just like all diets dont work for everyone....there are so many chemicals in ALL the foods we eat and drink its hard to know whats safe.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I wish I understood the soda thing. I haven't had it in many years. When I drink it, it tastes gross. i used to love it. But, after you don't drink it for a while, and then go back to it, it tastes disgusting.

Me, too. I used to drink it (full-on sugar version) for years, and it was one of the first things I got rid of when I wanted to lose weight. Now I have a Coke and it tastes like malted battery acid with a touch of citrus. It took me about 2 weeks to like water, and now I don't really like it sullied with anything except good quality coffee beans.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Do you have any studies that make mention of dosage, or do you just have this post?
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I don't think any sane person has ever said that diet soda is "good" for you. Neither have they stated that sugared sodas are good for you - least nobody in their right mind. Please, a glass of diet soda, or a glass of regular soda on occasion is not going to hurt anyone. If people choose to replace all water - coffee - tea with either one, they probably have a problem. If diet sodas help in losing weight then use them as a part of a lowered calorie program.

And thank you for quoting Dr. Quack (Mercola) again...
  • GodsGirl37
    GodsGirl37 Posts: 348
    Options
    I can't have any fake sweetner anyway. as it gives me really bad migraines. did you know that in some people it can't even digest and sits in your brain that is what causes headaches? I am one of those people. when the fake stuff first came out I went to my grandma's house and she offered me tea well I thought nothing of it and drank it got an instant headache. my mom asked my step grandma what she put in her tea and she said nutra sweet. anytime someone offers me gum, mints etc and I eat one with fake sweetner I get the same effect. I am probably one of the only people in the store checking for products that do not say sugar free.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If YOU don't want to drink it, don't.
    If it causes YOU problems, consider not drinking it.
    If YOU are worried about the toxins and chemicals, may I also suggest you don't paint your house or sit on any furniture. They are probably much worse than a soda. Also, don't use any air fresheners or fragrances - those are toxic chemicals as well.
    If YOU are drinking a case a day, consider cutting back. You'll save a lot of money!
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking diet pop over a year ago
    I dropped 10 pounds
    I stopped get sick to my stomach all the time
    I don't get headaches like I used to, was a daily issue
    I am saving so much money

Now when I take a sip I gag and wonder if this really was what I enjoyed.
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    It's well documented that diet soda will, indeed, KILL YOU!!!

tumblr_lytyr3nj6o1qkikgro1_250.gif
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I can't have any fake sweetner anyway. as it gives me really bad migraines. did you know that in some people it can't even digest and sits in your brain that is what causes headaches? I am one of those people. when the fake stuff first came out I went to my grandma's house and she offered me tea well I thought nothing of it and drank it got an instant headache. my mom asked my step grandma what she put in her tea and she said nutra sweet. anytime someone offers me gum, mints etc and I eat one with fake sweetner I get the same effect. I am probably one of the only people in the store checking for products that do not say sugar free.

Sits in your brain? Heck, the last time I had something sitting in my brain I was in emergency for a ct scan, an mri, a spinal tap and a week of observation to make sure I didn't go blind and od on the ridiculous amount of opiates and anti-emetics I needed just to sit up.

Good times.
  • Mistyblu08
    Options
    I knew it could cause headaches but not the reason why - thank you :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If it sits in your brain I think you're drinking it wrong.
  • kiwipez
    kiwipez Posts: 144
    Options
    Diet Soda/Pop does not make me gain weight - that was all the food I put in my mouth and me being lazy!!

Diet Soda/Pop does not make me lose weight, that will be the better eating habit I adopt and getting my @ss off the couch.

I drink it because I like it (and the caffeine) - I don't drink coffee.
  • Mistyblu08
    Options
    I quit drinking diet pop over a year ago
    I dropped 10 pounds
    I stopped get sick to my stomach all the time
    I don't get headaches like I used to, was a daily issue
    I am saving so much money

Now when I take a sip I gag and wonder if this really was what I enjoyed.

good for you!! I am still trying to get over the yen to drink it ...dont know why...they really dont taste all that good lol
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    It's well documented that diet soda will, indeed, KILL YOU!!!

tumblr_lytyr3nj6o1qkikgro1_250.gif

Round of applause!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    If it sits in your brain I think you're drinking it wrong.

LOL! ^^This.
  • doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I used to drink 2 or 3 non-diet sodas a day - and I put on a lot of weight. When I switched to diet soda, I was able to shed SOME of it (but not all).

I don't think sodapop of any kind is good for us, but I don't think diet is nearly as bad as the OP makes it sound.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

2. Diet sodas are billed as being good for type 2 diabetics and other blood-sugar- challenged types, but they aren’t. Because of something called the “cephalic phase response,” your body tastes the sweetness, and even though there are no calories to shuttle, the brain triggers a release of insulin from the pancreas and also a “Sugar is coming! Stop-burning fat” response from the liver.

Happy to see research on this if you have anything to support the above. I'm cherry picking here but it's because I've not read a lot of studies on this, so if you have anything that is even remotely causative I'd love to see it.

Food for thought:

Ingestion of Diet Soda Before a Glucose Load Augments Glucagon-Like Peptide-1 Secretion
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2782974/

Results:
    Glucose excursions were similar after ingestion of carbonated water and diet soda. Serum insulin levels tended to be higher after diet soda, without statistical significance

Although insulin responses tended to be more pronounced 20 and 25 min after glucose ingestion in the diet soda condition, these differences did not reach statistical significance (20′ P = 0.20; 25′ P = 0.28). Insulin AUCs were not statistically different (carbonated water 62,540 ± 7,646 pmol/l per 180 min vs. diet soda 62,164 ± 7,688 pmol/l per 180 min; P = 0.75). Peak insulin levels occurred 12.3 min earlier in the diet soda condition; however, again this difference was not statistically significant (P = 0.12).

Effects of diet soda on gut hormones in youths with diabetes.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22410815

CONCLUSIONS:

Ingestion of diet soda before a glucose load augmented GLP-1 secretion in type 1 diabetic and control subjects but not type 2 diabetic subjects . GIP and PYY secretion were not affected by diet soda.