NEW HERE - help! What is TDEE & BMR

2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I love the free calculators at fat2fit (http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/). You enter your age, sex, high, current weight and goal weight and it gives you your BMR (an average). It then lists out the different activity range for you to determine your TDEE. For instance, my BMR is 1305 but with my TDEE set at Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk), my TDEE is 1956. As I've gotten closer to my goal I have lowered my deficit from TDEE to 13% so I eat 1700 calories every single day, even non-workout days. This continuously fuels my body to burn fat and maintains muscle.

Actually, the fat2fit method is at goal weight, if you input goal weight.

And those activity level calories already has a deficit in them - you don't take an additional deficit on top of the one that is there.

You have in essence accomplished what you are saying should not be done.

Now, if you did not use goal weight, but current weight in both fields, that's fine. In which case a different site that does straight current weight TDEE would be a whole lot less confusing on a subject that can be in the first place.

Just a thought.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    I love the free calculators at fat2fit (http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/). You enter your age, sex, high, current weight and goal weight and it gives you your BMR (an average). It then lists out the different activity range for you to determine your TDEE. For instance, my BMR is 1305 but with my TDEE set at Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk), my TDEE is 1956. As I've gotten closer to my goal I have lowered my deficit from TDEE to 13% so I eat 1700 calories every single day, even non-workout days. This continuously fuels my body to burn fat and maintains muscle.

Actually, the fat2fit method is at goal weight, if you input goal weight.

And those activity level calories already has a deficit in them - you don't take an additional deficit on top of the one that is there.

You have in essence accomplished what you are saying should not be done.

Now, if you did not use goal weight, but current weight in both fields, that's fine. In which case a different site that does straight current weight TDEE would be a whole lot less confusing on a subject that can be in the first place.

Just a thought.

I actually put it my goal weight and my current weight and the numbers came out exactly the same. I've already reached within 5 lbs of goal but wrote this section as part of a blog post long ago. I thought perhaps it would at least help to clarify BMR and TDEE. I did not mean to create more confusion and if so I apologize
  • heybales
    I actually put it my goal weight and my current weight and the numbers came out exactly the same. I've already reached within 5 lbs of goal but wrote this section as part of a blog post long ago. I thought perhaps it would at least help to clarify BMR and TDEE. I did not mean to create more confusion and if so I apologize

You didn't because the description of the method is right-on.

It's just that if you entered the info as requested for that site, and then took 20% cut, you could be very low and killing their whole principle way of doing it.

I only say confusing because of how many people go through it, and yet fail to read the paragraph right above the activity chart with calorie goals.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    This is what confuses me: " So, you take your BMR and you times it by your TDEE and then you choose your activity level"

My BMR was 1905 and my TDEE was 2309, but SURELY I don't multiply those two together.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    This is what confuses me: " So, you take your BMR and you times it by your TDEE and then you choose your activity level"

My BMR was 1905 and my TDEE was 2309, but SURELY I don't multiply those two together.

Now, take 15-20% off your TDEE and eat that amount each and every day (whether you work out or not) and do not eat exercise calories back as they are already incorporated in your TDEE. IF 15-20% off your TDEE is less than your BMR do not eat that but eat between your BMR and your TDEE
  • heybales

Just use this spreadsheet so you can log your stats, and see visually what is happening. Because true, that line as written is not correct and confusing.

Be aware the Macro tab is in beta and this thing will change in next few days.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

For description of tabs and uses.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/620206-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calcs-mfp-tweaks-hrm
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Thanks! The "times" really got me, and I thought it had to be wrong - then someone else bumped it with "this" so it sounded like an endorsement that it was correct.