Quinoa?

Options
Has anyone on here tried Quinoa? Do you like it better than rice? I went to buy some in the grocery store the other day and it was $5 for a tiny little box, I can get like 50 times the servings of rice for almost that same price, so I was turned off of buying it. But I hear it's way healthier for you than rice. I want to eat healthy but I don't want to spend a lot of money since I am really broke.

Replies

• SorchaEilis
    SorchaEilis Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Try the bulk section at your grocery store, if there is one. I love quinoa, but it can be a little pricey, so I get it at HEB in the bulk foods section. Much cheaper!
  • helen0616
    helen0616 Posts: 97
    Options
    I just started the quinoa thing and I love it. It is so versatile and fills you up. It is $7 for a 1lb box at my nearest grocery store but I did some Googling and found that a health food store about 25 minutes away has it for half the price in the bulk section. They also send out coupons quite often for 20% off bulk foods. Do some research, I bet you can find it cheaper, and when you do, buy a lot especially if you have to drive far away. I bought 10 pounds and expect that to last quite a while.

And when you get it, just try cooking it like rice. The first time I made it, I was a little unsure, so I cooked it with chicken broth instead of water. Is it very good! It has a mild, nutty flavor, with a texture sort of similar to barley. I cooked 2 cups and have since used it as a side on it's own, with curried chicken instead of rice, and also to stuff bell peppers with ground turkey and vegetables.

Quinoa is a super food. I recommend doing the leg work to find it at a price you can afford, you won't regret it.:happy:
  • ArizonaRon
    Options
    The salad bar at Whole Foods seems to always have it as an option. I've eaten it many times from there, never tried to cook it myself though.
  • recoiljpr
    recoiljpr Posts: 292
    Options
    I've tried and and I am personally not a fan. It may just be me, but it tastes too much like dirt. When I eat it, there is a sharp flavor that I just can't stomach.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i am addicted to this stuff! I have been hitting this vegetarian restaurant all week for lunch just to have it. But, that's getting expensive. So, i bought a box last night. Will experiment over the weekend! i am looking for a good site with recipes that include nutrional info.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I've tried and and I am personally not a fan. It may just be me, but it tastes too much like dirt. When I eat it, there is a sharp flavor that I just can't stomach.

you have to make sure that it is free from dirt and debris by washing & straining very well.
  • researchgirl82
    researchgirl82 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I LOVE quinoa. I personally enjoy it with black olives, feta, green peppers and some red onion and a dash of salt, pepper and olive oil--maybe some lemon.
  • MichelleLydia
    MichelleLydia Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa, it's definitely worth the price. I like to serve it with stirfried veggies over top and maybe some teriyaki chicken. I also make muffins using it, and quinoa burgers are fabulous!
  • peles_fire
    peles_fire Posts: 501
    Options
    I agree with those who say get it from the bulk section, just remember to wash it, it is bitter if you don't wash the bulk stuff. It is wonderful, nutritious, filling, and has a whole variety of ways you can eat it. I would take quinoa over rice any day of the week. :)
  • kelfran1
    kelfran1 Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    you have to make sure that it is free from dirt and debris by washing & straining very well.

I agree with the poster 2 or 3 above, you absolutely MUST rinse it very well in a strainer. THe packaged kind form the supermarket is usually cleaned, but the bulk I buy is not. It's not only to remove dirt, but I read somewhere that it can take on a bitter or off taste from the rind or coating or whatever.

I really like quinoa, but I find that it really does need some fresh herbs or something added to make it tasty. You can also use chicken stock instead of water to boil it in, but I would still add some sautéed shallots or something for flavor. I usually buy both the white and red kind and mix them. Yummy!
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love quinoa. It's so easy as a side dish - just cook it in low fat/low sodium chicken broth instead of water to give it flavour. I bought a big bag of Costco and it's lasting me forever.
  • michele2224
    Options
    I was just asking about this quinoa, and I was planning on making curry chicken so I'm glad I read your post!!! lol
  • ABQsheila
    ABQsheila Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I made stuffed peppers with ground chicken and quinoa instead of rice. I cooked them in a tomatoey sauce in my crockpot and they were the best!! I don't have the link but I bet you can google stuffed pepper quinoa recipe and find it. Rinsing the quinoa is absolutely necessary or it will have a bitter taste.
  • elm2008
    elm2008 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It's like $4/lb in bulk.
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    There is a quinoa and rice blend availabe at Costco for a great price.
  • EllaKnows
    EllaKnows Posts: 19
    Options
    I tried Quinoa for a couple of days but it made me bloated... I ate it with other things though, so I'm not sure if it was the Quinoa making my stomach rumble. Personally I really enjoy the taste so I'm going to give it another shot on it's own!
  • helen0616
    helen0616 Posts: 97
    Options

You have to rinse it really well to get that bitterness off the outside. Try that next time, it should help. : )
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/378479-is-quinoa-a-complete-protein-food/

Quinoa is considered a whole grain. It is the seed of a leafy plant related to spinach. Although most plant-based foods do not contain complete proteins containing all of the essential amino acids, quinoa is a complete protein. This makes quinoa a particularly beneficial food for those who do not eat animal products.

Protein in Quinoa
    Most whole grains do not contain the amino acid lysine, or contain very little lysine. Quinoa, however, supplies this amino acid along with the other eight essential amino acids in amounts that are balanced well for the needs of humans. Quinoa also has a relatively high amount of protein for a grain at 13.8 percent protein. One cup of cooked quinoa contains 8 g of protein, while the same amount of barley contains only 3.5 g of protein and brown rice contains only 5 g of protein.

Other Nutrients
    Quinoa also provides you with more copper, fiber, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium and zinc and less sodium than corn, wheat or barley. Quinoa is also low in gluten, so even those with celiac disease can enjoy it.

Considerations
    Rinse quinoa before you cook it. This removes the bitter coating, called saponin, that is on these seeds. Eat quinoa in moderation, as one cup provides 220 calories and 3.5 g of fat along with its high-quality protein. Should you have some difficulty finding this grain in your grocery store, most health food stores sell both the whole grain and the flour.
  • 2012MidLifeChrysalis
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a water:quinoa ratio for cooking and also how long it needs to be cooked for? I think I tried to cook mine like pasta (inherited some from a friend as I have been recommended it for dietary purposes) and WAY overcooked it.

If anyone knows, I'd really like a recommendation.

Thanks
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend a water:quinoa ratio for cooking and also how long it needs to be cooked for? I think I tried to cook mine like pasta (inherited some from a friend as I have been recommended it for dietary purposes) and WAY overcooked it.

If anyone knows, I'd really like a recommendation.

Thanks

Ingredients

1 cup quinoa (any variety — white or golden, red, or black)
    Olive oil (optional)
    2 cups liquid, such as broth or water
    1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

Tools

Fine mesh strainer
    2-quart saucepan with lid
    Spoon

Instructions
    1. Measure quinoa and liquid. Measure out 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups liquid.

2. Rinse the quinoa. Place the quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer, and rinse thoroughly with cool water. Rub and swish the quinoa with your hand while rinsing, and rinse for at least 2 minutes under the running water. Drain.

Why rinse quinoa? Rinsing removes quinoa's natural coating, called saponin, which can make it taste bitter or soapy. Although boxed quinoa is often pre-rinsed, it doesn't hurt to give the seeds an additional rinse at home. Some cookbooks suggest soaking the quinoa but, in our experience, this is unnecessary.
    3. Dry and toast quinoa in saucepan. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in the saucepan over medium-high heat, and add the drained quinoa. Cook, stirring, for about 1 minute, letting the water evaporate.

4. Add liquid and bring to a boil. Stir in the liquid and the salt (if using) and bring to a rolling boil.

5. Lower heat and cook covered for 15 minutes. Turn heat down to the lowest setting. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.

6. Let stand covered for 5 minutes. After 15 minutes, turn off the heat and remove the pot from the burner. Let stand for 5 minutes, covered.

7. Fluff and eat! After 5 minutes, remove the lid, fluff the quinoa gently with a fork, and serve. (You should see tiny spirals (the germ) separating from and curling around the quinoa seeds.)

Additional Notes:
    • One cup of dried quinoa yields about 3 cups cooked.
    • Some people like to add olive oil, butter, salt, or pepper. Cooked quinoa can also be used as the basis for pilafs, salads, breakfast porridges, and more.