1300 calories of donuts

Options
And still lose weight/fat? Are calories the only thing that matter for weight loss? (not health)

Will your body be more likely to relese fat stores if it is being properly nourished, or is it simply calories that determine that?

Thanks!

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    You could lose weight on an all-donut diet. Google the Twinkie diet for more details.

I'm sure you know why you don't want to do this, though.
  • ForMyFreedom
    Options
    You could lose weight on an all-donut diet. Google the Twinkie diet for more details.

I'm sure you know why you don't want to do this, though.
    right. i'm not talking health here. just wondering if health efffects weight loss.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I can't help but feel a little set up, like there is an expectation of an answer that you are preparing for, a follow-up post locked and loaded.

In case you are truly asking out of genuine curiosity, I'll answer that yes, strictly in the context of weight loss, a calorie deficit is all that matters.

But strictly speaking, a car needs only forward thrust to "work" - however, it's usefulness grows with wheels, a steering wheel, a windshield, etc.

So while you can and will lose weight on a calorie deficit of anything, there are other health consequences that might not be so positive. It's generally a good idea to eat a healthy, balanced diet of nutritious food while staying under your calorie goal to lose weight.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Read this, for great justice.

Read PAST the URL. :P

http://www.myosynthesis.com/calories-arent-calories
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I think it's along the lines of "too much of a good thing." You can eat only protein and lose weight, too, but it'll eventually kill you (Google rabbit starvation). Sure you could lose weight eating only donuts but I don't think you'd want to deal with the nutritional fallout that would eventually follow.
  • ForMyFreedom
    Options
    For clarification:

This is strictly hypothetical. I am NOT planning on only eating donuts.

I am Not expecting a certain answer. just throwing out a question.

thanks! :)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying it would have no effect on weight loss. Would you lose at the same rate as if you ate 1300 calories of protein? I don't know and I don't want to get into it, to be honest, because I'm not planning on doing either. But in the simplest terms, if you take in fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight.

Since we're going to extremes, think of it this way: If you ate NOTHING but one bite of a donut every day, would you lose weight? I don't think many people would argue that point. If you ate nothing but one whole donut every day, would you lose weight? Yes. What about two? Three? At some point you'd reach the amount of donuts needed to maintain your weight; anything under that would result in weight loss.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    This will cause the body to slow down weight loss and eventually stall. The calories will be used as energy sure, but the fact the nutrition ain't there will cause the same symptoms as simply not eating enough.

Your body NEEDS protein in the diet. Without enough protein, no diet will work properly.
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yes, you would lose weight. However, you wouldn't get skinny. The areas where you tend to store the fat would probably remain unchanged (so if you have a gut, even if you lost 10 pounds on the all donut diet, you'd still have a gut).

I am guessing a lot of the weight you'd lose would be lean muscle mass, so in that effect, while you lost weight, you might end up with a higher body fat percentage than before you started.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Yes, you would lose weight. However, you wouldn't get skinny. The areas where you tend to store the fat would probably remain unchanged (so if you have a gut, even if you lost 10 pounds on the all donut diet, you'd still have a gut).

I am guessing a lot of the weight you'd lose would be lean muscle mass, so in that effect, while you lost weight, you might end up with a higher body fat percentage than before you started.

-Plays horror music-
    SKINNY FAT
  • jonelaw
    jonelaw Posts: 28
    Options
    You would lose weight but 1300 calories in donuts would leave you awfully hungry in addition to all of the other health risks.
  • laus_8882
    laus_8882 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I don't see why not. Most commercial doughnuts (probably all) are made with enriched flour, so 1300 calories of donuts would probably net you your rdi of folate at least, and maybe a few more vitamins and minerals. Doughnuts have milk and eggs as well as lovely sugary (mmm, hfcs, nom) things in them and you'll not have to worry about fat... obviously.

Why will you eventually stall with weight loss? Human beings have been starving to death on stuff far less nutritious than a dozen of Krispy Kreme's finest for a long time now. It's not like some distant ancestor cobbling together a 700 calorie serving of bark gruel a day would suddenly find his slow starvation stopping because said bark wasn't as nutritious as a large rodent.

Wouldn't be a diet I'd much want to go on. Doughnuts get a bit boring after a while.
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't lose weight......but I'd be happy! lol :)
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    LOL... if all you want to eat all day is 2 donuts, go for it. Oh, and as long as you arent planning on paying attention to your blood pressure and cholesterol.
  • Erica27511
    Erica27511 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I think I will experiment and see. I'll get back to you.

*Finding my keys so I can get to Dunkin Donuts*
  • jdploki70
    jdploki70 Posts: 343
    Options
    You can lose weight eating any quantity of any thing if you burn more calories than you consume. Simple math.
  • veronicapetchers
    Options
    MMMM...donut!
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options

Pick me up a dozen... half glazed and half chocolate. k?
  • curvykim78
    curvykim78 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

Ew Dunkin Donuts?? Yuck....I'm going to KRIPSY KREME!!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I can't help but feel a little set up, like there is an expectation of an answer that you are preparing for, a follow-up post locked and loaded.

In case you are truly asking out of genuine curiosity, I'll answer that yes, strictly in the context of weight loss, a calorie deficit is all that matters.

But strictly speaking, a car needs only forward thrust to "work" - however, it's usefulness grows with wheels, a steering wheel, a windshield, etc.

So while you can and will lose weight on a calorie deficit of anything, there are other health consequences that might not be so positive. It's generally a good idea to eat a healthy, balanced diet of nutritious food while staying under your calorie goal to lose weight.

Great explanation! Love the analogy!!